Sgestions please

Options
I am trying to loose weight and eat healthy I am jsut unsure how. I know basics cut out breads and stuff I think.. one dr says to cut out breads the other said not to. I have kids and my daughter wants to over eat and is overweight for her age..I think she is perfect but she is 10 and not a healthy weight. she needs to loose 10-20 lbs and I need to loose well close to 100 or more. I need ideas on healthy eating for the whole family not so much a diet but good choices for all.. Like meals and after noon snacks... thanks in advanced.. and besides water what are other things to drink besides soda..and how do I cut the headaches down cause when I dont have a soda I get a massive caffeine headache :) thanks again..

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Generally we can point the finger at too much processed and fast food and not enough natural food. Sugar and refined carbs are tasty, but easily overeaten.
  • ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    Try to avoid things in a box or can, like Hamburger Helper. You need carbs - it's a fact, so cutting out breads and pasta all together is not the right approach. But maybe cut back on them. Protien & fiber keeps you full longer. Try to work in more fruits & veggies. All of those things aren't probably new really. And exercise is important, it don't have to be intense, maybe a walk or playing on the Wii (my exercise consits of Wii Fit Plus mainly & walking). If family (kids) don't like veggies I suggest try chopping it up really fine and adding it to things. For instance I have chopped up broccoli and added it to spaghetti or lasagna. Also portions - we tend to think a portion is bigger than it is. Measure/weigh your portions to see what it really is suppose to look like...you will be surprised. Best of luck to you...you CAN do it! :happy:
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Change one unhealthy choice a day. Like cut out sugary soda. Switch to diet. Skim milk. ect... one day at a time. They all add up, before you know it you will see big differences. Good luck to you and your family.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    there are a TON of websites that offer family friendly receipes. There are some on here, skinnytaste.com and hungrygirl.com to name a few. As far as the soda switch to diet then gradually switch it out with water. I add lemon and lime to my water to make it better and drink about 10 cups a day. I still have 2 diet cokes everyday too.

You dont have to cut out ANYTHING- just make smart switches. Whole wheat bread and pasta, skim or silk milk. THere is a TON of info out there. Take your time and soak it in. You are doing what is best for you and your daughter :smile:

If you tell yourself you can never have anything you can easly go back to old ways

Fell free to add as a friend if you would like :flowerforyou:
  • poptart1955
    Options
    we do the whole grain pasta.. and alot of lil things like that.. some veggis I cannot eat like brocoli or onions but I can substitue for things. I'll try that switching things out do you sue fresh lemon? how does it keep do i just cut it up and put it in a container?
  • nickielouise36
    nickielouise36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hiya hun .. my friend drunk.lots of tea.. normal tea.. it helps apparently.. like drinkin water it will make u feel full nd surpress appetite .. I lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks at start of Dec.. (I put it back on through binge eating) I'm on day 2 of no coco cola (soda) nd I'm just fighting the headache xxx
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The first post in this thread breaks it down to its simplest form:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it