What to eat before have a few alcoholic beverages?

Options
Hey Guys! :smile:

I'm off out in a few hours to catch up with an old and dear friend and we are hitting the town in style! :drinker:
I know i need to eat obviously before consuming some alcohol but need to find a good balance between being healthy and yet feeling like the dinner will set me up for the night ....

Any tried and tested dinners? I was thinking pasta? beans on toast? eeep! Help please , many thanks! :bigsmile:

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Pizza! =)
  • kateneyxx
    kateneyxx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Dude i looooveeeeee Pizza!!! Good suggestion, however I must confess it is my drug of choice and so had better steer clear before i demolish an extra large in one go! :blushing:
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should definitely eat something before hitting the town. In the absence of food, heavy drinking can cause hypoglycemia.

I'd recommend something with both protein and complex carbs (wholegrain pasta is a great idea), and also something that you've eaten before just in case a new food disagrees with you.
  • helhedded
    helhedded Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would eat foods that take a while to digest. Alcohol brings on the munchies and that is a big no-no if you are trying to lose weight. In the end you are drinking meaningless calories and they will affect your plan.

sweet potato
    boneless skinless chicken
    cottage cheese

Are my favorites.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Dude i looooveeeeee Pizza!!! Good suggestion, however I must confess it is my drug of choice and so had better steer clear before i demolish an extra large in one go! :blushing:

If your already drinking, just call it a cheat night and have the pizza too ;-) I do it once a week, and lost weight while doing so.
  • kateneyxx
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions and yes, unfortunately i am very prone t finding a kebab house at 2am s must fill up on the good stuff and then dance the alcohol off .... :tongue:
  • tessangel7
    Options
    Just remember if you stop somewhere that serves a decent salad, you can always get a mid-treck snack along the way.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why does your meal have to be any different to a regular meal? Balance of lean protein, whole carbs, healthy fats and loads of vegetables.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Not for any health or anti-alcohol effects but just because cheese is good. Cheese also goes well with most alcoholic beverages. From a deliciousness perspective.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating what you want or have a taste for if you're going out to drink. Just have a good time and get back to your normal routine the next day. One of the top reasons people fail with weight-loss is because they are too strict on themselves.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would say eat the biggest salad you can get your hands on and hour before you go out.
    Then whatever you still feel like eating or drinking, then go for it.

Technically, you're not denying yourself anything then ;)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Not for any health or anti-alcohol effects but just because cheese is good. Cheese also goes well with most alcoholic beverages. From a deliciousness perspective.

Fair point well made.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I saw the "Stag Party" episode of Happy Days day before yesterday. Richie and Potsie drank olive oil before drinking beers at the party. That might work for you.
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating what you want or have a taste for if you're going out to drink. Just have a good time and get back to your normal routine the next day. One of the top reasons people fail with weight-loss is because they are too strict on themselves.

this is good!
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "All we had was some beer in these teeny-weeny glasses.....".

"How many teeny-weeny glasses did you have" ?

"Seventy-two".

:drinker:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    and drink loads of water too.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    The liver is going to deplete your vitamin B stores processing the alcohol so it would be good to take some of that, have a heavy meal. A good example of what to eat would be something you'd eat the night before a big race, carb load. And through the night have one glass of water for each alcoholic drink, this will make you consume slower and consume less but still have a really good time :)

Have fun!
  • tessangel7
    Options
    I saw the "Stag Party" episode of Happy Days day before yesterday. Richie and Potsie drank olive oil before drinking beers at the party. That might work for you.

Yup, I just got heart burn!
  • callielizabethrocks
    Options
    I have been told-and I don't know if it is true-but it works for me-that foods high in protein help to prevent feeling like crap the next day. I've tried drinking a protein shake if I'm in control of what I'm eating, and if I'm out at a bar I try to eat chicken (satay or strips).

Good luck, keep it in moderation and drink PLENTY of water!
  • kateneyxx
    Options
    Just to report, mission successful! Danced until 2am ....and on a Friday! wooooo! (haven;'t done that in such a long time!)

AND!.... i didn't eat junk food (mini success story) :drinker:

Cheers again guys !