working 6 hours- 3000 lost calories?

Options
I work at an Assisted Living Home and work 6 hours and am constantly walking back and fourth pretty fast. I typed it in here and it said 3000 calories... does that seem right? I work my butt off but that seems crazy.

Replies

• hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That seems a little high to me. Are you eating like 5000 calories a day and not gaining weight?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You need to change your status from sedentary to light or moderately active. Only log calories above and beyond your daily lifestyle for example, SAHM's usually set theirs to lightly active and construction workers would be moderate - it's a little subjective but a much more effective way of logging rather than adding “walking 2.0 slow pace 6 hours”.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You need to change your status from sedentary to light or moderately active. Only log calories above and beyond your daily lifestyle for example, SAHM's usually set theirs to lightly active and construction workers would be moderate - it's a little subjective but a much more effective way of logging rather than adding “walking 2.0 slow pace 6 hours”.

This...if you are set up as sedentary, you need to change that to reflect your true daily routine, otherwise your TDEE calc will be way off and you'll end up eating well below your BMR (which is very bad).
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

yup.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you have one, wear a heart rate monitor for an average day to work out roughly what you burn. Or just do the work hours. Remembering that some calories are burned in a day just maintaining bodily functions.

It could be right for 3000 a day, but I'd be very surprised. I run half marathons and burn about 1200 cal in a bit under 2 hrs.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I work in a long term care facility and burn about 1500-2000 calories at work. I think MFP calculated you a little bit high. If you put yourself as sedentary I would definitely change it to lighly active and dont log your work calories.