5 in 7 challenge

Options

Replies

• caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi would like in on this please it will really challenge me. I usely manage 3 or 4 gym and swim sessions per week but 5 days is a ramp up. I need a good start to keep me motivated for 2013. I just got some resistance bands for Christmas with a view to adding in more exercise on my non gym days. I am trying to add in more walking and steps too. It's 2236 here in England so all I can claim is 30 minutes of brisk walking today. I will do some squats and abs for 15 mins to bump it up. This will be a great motivator.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I don't like giving out my real name, you can call me Sin :) No matter how vain it sounds, I'm doing this to be hot again. I'm tired of being the overweight mom at my son's baseball games. I lost 36 pounds last year (10 before MFP) and plan on losing 60 more this year.

Today I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 60 minutes, for a total of 3 miles. I also wear a FitBit that I got for Christmas and it says I've walked 3.98 miles today. My day isn't over yet, though, so I'm thinking I will update the following morning so I am more accurate :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The spreadsheet is here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkC9aDYAzemGdGNEeS1KNzNkbzE2Q3BhMUhzaVgtbnc#gid=0

I think I've added everyone. I've done the list alphabetically up till now, but I'll add any late arrivals to the bottom. Any issues, just let me know.

It's not a very fancy spreadsheet, as I'm just not that adept with google docs! But it should do the job.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'll join as well. 45 minutes of exercise per day is my usual goal, but I have been missing workouts over the holidays...and for me, missing workouts seems to go hand in hand with bad food choices. I don't want to go down that road! This seems like a great way to help me get back on track now that the whirlwind of holiday visitors is over.

My name is Sorova and I've lost 90 pounds on MFP over the past 13 months. My main goals now are losing the last 20 pounds while continuing to get stronger and fitter and more active. I love almost anything outdoorsy and I do a lot of hiking and jogging on the trails near my house. I also love lifting. One of my goals for 2013 is to get into yoga because I think it might help with flexibility and stress management (two things that I struggle with).

Look forward to working with everyone on this challenge!
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This was great motivation for me to get a workout in this evening. So, for today (Wednesday) my total is 40 minutes of speed walking: a smidge over 4mph. I haven't added it to the spreadsheet since my name isn't on there yet and I don't want to mess it up. Let me know if it's okay to add my name!
  • caroleannlight
    Options
    Hi fellow challengers

I have put in my figures for yesterday and will be getting my numbers up today as have an appointment with PT at the gym. The first after the holidays -its going to be tough I just know it. Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet and looking forward to working out with you all this month. BTW you can call me CA. One of my goals for the first quarter is to try some classes at my gym so this challenge will be a good stimulus. At the moment I do swimming and weights and trying to build up my endurance with walking as I want to get back to hiking. I broke my ankle in 2009 and never got back to a decent fitness level and gained a lot of pounds and I was overweight before but I am now turning it around. Good luck to all in your goals for the month.

CA
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I love being active, but can get sludgy about getting out and doing things, when it's dark in the winter, and when work is busy. So I'm hoping this challenge will help me hold my focus a little more through January.

That's exactly me!! Last night I got home from work around 6pm, it was dark, I was tired after a long first day back in the office but this challenge motivated me to get my shorts and t-shirt on and do a Wii workout!! I'm hoping to get my backside out of bed early enough to cycle to work tomorrow - about 12 mile round trip in the winter (go a longer way home when I'm on my hybrid and not the winter MTB). No exercise today as straight out after work and quick tea to choir practice - so this is one of my two no exercise days - although I will try to do something every day.

Oh, btw, my name is Fran, 35, live in Manchester, England. Work as an IT Systems Analyst - it's as exciting as it sounds and very busy - so should really get off here and on with something more productive!!

My Polar FT4 battery died so I had to go off the Wii calorie burn - it does have a heart rate monitor on that particular "game" though (EA Sports Active 2) and have signed up to a 9 week program on that

Let's do this in Jan - we can !!!
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Oooh oooh can I join? I'm Ros from Sheffield, UK. I'm starting from scratch as I've had a rubbish year doing no exercise at all apart from walking my dog, and even that has become slower and slower. This has been because I've been coping with stress in unhealthy ways- drinking, eating and I have to say reading (avoidance technique that burns as many calories as sleeping). Grand result- I'm at my heaviest ever (16st 5lbs in GB£ or 229lbs in USD).
    SO. My exercise will initially include a lot of fast walking (I get plantar fasciitis if I try to run) and Just Dance ( as my 16 year old learning disabled daughter is also obese and I need to get her on the move as well, and she likes this), and I want to get back into weights as it makes me feel good about myself. I paid for a year's gym membership last year and didn't go more than 3 times, so I think I'll start off at home and take it from there.
    Had visitors until today, so yesterday's already one of my days off this week. Need to get cracking. Off to walk the dog, and I will do it at a proper breathless pace!
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I have the stomach flu :( I still managed to do my cardio recovery INSANITY dvd but that was only 33 min. I am going to try to get some sort of work out in later today if my body is up to it.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Hi everyone, and welcome Ros.

Really sorry to hear you've been poorly today, Laura.

I got out for a nice run today, and feel pretty good. With the warm up walk, I hit my 45 min, and did a bit of yoga afterwards to stretch out. So a good day, all in all, in challenge terms.
  • caroleannlight
    Options
    hi all did 90 minutes today - an hour with PT at the gym then 30 minutes swim as my day off. Unfortunately my right knee pain flared up during my session so will likely take tommorrow as a rest day or just do walking - I am generally walking from the train station to work now instead of getting the bus and my stamina is really improving.
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hi Jane, I'm late...but I'm in! (sorry the first week of jan is always dead for me as its my bday on the 2nd so my festive period seems to last longer and people refuse to stop giving me cake and demanding me to drink champagne with them! I know, hard life right?)

But I'm back on the exercise malarkey as of now, and the eating starts good on the 7th.

I'm 25, I joined here 1.5yrs ago for weight, but stayed for the support and fitness motivation. I need to up my exercise and lose a bit of weight I've managed to gain in my time as a slug. I am starting a new full time job on the 7th, whereas before Christmas I was temping and my hours were all erratic so I let everything slide. But from the 7th I'll have to commute into london, and the choices are pay £5/day parking at the station, or cycle 20 mins each way...(so I'm planning to cycle) and pay for a bus at the other end or walk it...(and I'm planning to walk), so that's a major boost, and in addition I should also be getting my *kitten* out running etc and maybe gym (but I'm not sure how my hours work yet).
  • meerkat70
    Options
    yay, penny is here!
  • reerazzle
    reerazzle Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join this group?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    No, you're welcome. Just add yourself in to the bottom of the spreadsheet. :-)
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hope you're feeling a bit better, Laura :-(

Yesterday didn't get anything in as it's my busy day - out straight from work and don't get home till about 10pm - BUT today I got back on my bike, first time in a month, and I could really tell! I'm reassuring myself that it's the least fit I'll be all year, so it can only get better! Quiet weekend so can continue with the 9 week program on the Wii and perhaps start with the kettlebells again. Mix it up :-) Need to do some bike maintenance though as well. Maybe not so quiet after all :-)

Anybody else got plans on how to fit in exercise over the weekend?
  • priscillabrinkmann
    Options
    I'm in.
  • caroleannlight
    Options
    Weekend here we come I am usually good to get some serious burn in on the weekends so will be hitting the gym and swimming I hope.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    welcome priscilla.

Just back from the gym - weights and rowing. Feeling *good*. :-)
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Just filled mine in for the last couple of days. I'm off tomorrow for the night so may not be able to fill it in for a couple of days. I know you said not to include walks but I take long walks with my dog through the woods and when I wear my HRM it logs about 250 -270 cals on a walk so I include that, I don't include walking to the shops, or short walks etc. As I get back into the swing of things after being out of it for about 6 months I'm sure my cross trainer, stationary bike and strength training sessions will increase.

Good luck everyone :D