For those who have "little" to lose

Options
One of the things that I find most difficult with my weight loss journey is the fact that whenever I tell people I'm trying to lose weight they always respond that I don't. I'm not trying to post a sob story for attention or anything but I do need to lose weight, from 15-25 lbs, and I find I'm always faced with people thinking I'm crazy which is pretty hard to deal with. I currently weigh around 130lbs at 5'3" and I would ideally like to get down to 115lbs or so in time for my wedding and honeymoon.

Has anyone else on here faced the same remarks when they said they're trying to lose a smaller amount of weight? I think weight loss in general, whether it's big or small, should be viewed the same way.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    To be honest, since you don't have much to lose, I wouldn't focus on only losing weight, but leaning up. Eat at a modest deficit and strength train(lift heavy). You will get the results, aesthetically, without worrying as much about the exact numbers on the scale.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    To be honest, since you don't have much to lose, I wouldn't focus on only losing weight, but leaning up. Eat at a modest deficit and strength train(lift heavy). You will get the results, aesthetically, without worrying as much about the exact numbers on the scale.

Agree!
  • zena92
    zena92 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I find most difficult with my weight loss journey is the fact that whenever I tell people I'm trying to lose weight they always respond that I don't. I'm not trying to post a sob story for attention or anything but I do need to lose weight, from 15-25 lbs, and I find I'm always faced with people thinking I'm crazy which is pretty hard to deal with. I currently weigh around 130lbs at 5'3" and I would ideally like to get down to 115lbs or so in time for my wedding and honeymoon.

Has anyone else on here faced the same remarks when they said they're trying to lose a smaller amount of weight? I think weight loss in general, whether it's big or small, should be viewed the same way.

im exactly the same, I only need to lose about 15-20lbs, and because i've lost quite a lot so far, people tell me that im going 'overboard' or too far'

its hard when you hear it from both your friends and your family...
  • Shal1217
    Options
    Oh I know, I'm not fixating on a number or anything, it's just the easiest way to explain my situation on here. :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Oh I know, I'm not fixating on a number or anything, it's just the easiest way to explain my situation on here. :)

I only set out to lose 12lbs. I've lost 6, but since I noticed my body has changed to where I wanted it to be when I started, I adjusted my goals and am eating at maintenance now. Lifting heavy does wonders....
  • Shal1217
    Options
    Funny you mention lifting heavy. I workout with my fiancé and he's really fit so I lift heavy with him (or "workout like a guy") haha and people are always like WHATTT you don't use 2lb dumbells? hahah
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    This is a good place to learn, and it's motivating to keep track of food and exercise goals. Those who have a small amount are being very proactive, which is a good thing.
  • bwilliams828
    Options
    I'm with you! i only want to loose 15-20. So hard to stay motivated and not eat sweets and drink my wine. =(
  • emmylouwho__
    emmylouwho__ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel the SAME way!

Im 5'4 and currently 125, everything is on my midsection, everything. my confidence is down and I would love to be able to wear cute clothes and dresses but Im a size 9 for jeans, and if you see me you wouldn't think I did. Im tired of wearing layers. One word, muffin top. Im on a rant here, but I know how you feel. I would just love to be able to wear a bikini and not be ashamed.
    Rant over.. I just, really related with you :)
    Feel free to add me
  • trishcass46
    trishcass46 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost about 14# on WW online and got stuck for 3 months, then found this website and started to lose again. I am down 6# but want to lose only about 5# more. I am older and always get comments like, "you don't want to lose too much", or, "your face is getting too thin" , or "what do YOU want to lose weight for, you look just fine as you are". It can be very frustrating because I know at what weight I feel better. I am now focusing more on my health and eating clean. I am sure my weight will stablize on its own. Do what you want to do and don't worry about what anyone else says.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, not viewed as overweight by most people, and not by any doctor's chart. My goal is to lose 20 pounds or so. To keep people from freaking out (yeah, because they honestly do) when I pass up the cake, or second glass of wine, or don't join the clean plate club, I just say I'm getting in shape, or getting ready for race season. It makes sense to people then and it helps avoid the unsupportive/negative comments.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just don't tell people you are losing weight. Say you want to fit and look awesome in your wedding dress.
  • Shal1217
    Options
    I suppose I should do that, it sounds better for sure! lol
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,098 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say to tell people, if they ask, that you getting fit for your wedding. I have already lost down to my original goal and have decided to lose down 10 more pounds. I would get the same comments, so now, I just don't mention weight loss to people I know won't understand. Instead, I comment on my running goals and they are fine with that. It's great that people think I look good. I love that. But, for me, I want to lose to 130.....I'm 5'6" and 53 years old.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    It seems to be a common reaction. I wouldn't worry about it. Pick and choose wisely who you tell. Especially with co-workers. They can be some of the worst to deal with, in my experience anyway.

I agree with a previous poster who said it might be best to focus less on the number at this point... it seemed to take me forever with the last 10 lbs. And ironically, they came off when I sort of "gave up" on it and just did my thing.
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options

im exactly the same, I only need to lose about 15-20lbs, and because i've lost quite a lot so far, people tell me that im going 'overboard' or too far'

its hard when you hear it from both your friends and your family...

Yes!! This!! The worst for me is 'you've done well, but obviously you're not losing anymore are you because you'll look horrible'

:/
  • SunnyLynnie
    SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's me! I only have 13 pounds to go and no one thinks I need to lose. However, half my clothes don't fit and according to the BMI, I am just into the overweight zone. I'm on anti-depressants, which makes it really hard to lose. I work out every day and I'm a poster child for good nutrition. Neither the scale nor my clothes will budge. Anyone else have that problem?