Having my wisdom teeth cut out! What could I eat!

Options
I'm having my teeth cut out tomorrow and I can only eat soft foods. I know soup is a big one but I want something else besides soup and jello. Any ideas?

Replies

• BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I didn't want ANYTHING!.

I was on break from college and my mom had to wake me up to get me to eat and then I only picked at most of it. It hurt like mad and the pain killers made me very tired and unpleasant.

I think I lived on milkshakes, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese (mom's homemade.... so bad for you), jello, sweet cooked (mushy) carrots, and maybe egg drop soup for the entire week.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I ate Spaghettios - I know so HEALTHY! LOL! Applesauce too. And I know it sounds weird but cheddar cheese ruffles - sucked on them until they dissolved. I don't do well on pain meds so they made me sooooo sick - I wasn't concerned about eating healthy, just eating anything.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Non dairy milkshakes....the coldness of it is awesome, and the non dairy part will keep you from puking. Think McDonald's soy Milkshakes.
  • kat_beverly91
    Options
    bump!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My husband has had a lot of oral surgery over the last two years, and his favorite "can't really chew" food is sushi. Seriously! The raw fish is soft enough that it doesn't require much chewing, and it's excellent protein.

But here's my #1 piece of advice, which doesn't have to do with food -- tonight, take two sponges, get them damp, put each one in a ziploc bag and freeze them. They are the BEST icepacks for your face! Start using them as soon as you can after surgery, it will really help keep the swelling down.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat ANY soft foods, only liquids. I "ate" (really, I drank) a lot of pureed soup (like cream of broccoli, butternut squash soup) and a couple Ensure shakes to get some nutrition in, LOL.

The good news is, it is a very brief period where you can't eat and you'll be good to go pretty quickly afterwards.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I didn't want ANYTHING!.

Pretty much, yeah.

Try this if you don't want that "soup-y" feeling and want something a little more substantial.

Can of tomato soup (cook according to directions) and refrigerated 3 cheese tortellini. Add some spice to it and maybe a sprinkle of cheese. It's easy to eat and tastes great.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of mine out this week last year (all 4 were impacted - it SUCKED!).

The first day I ate NOTHING until that night - they were out first thing in the morning and I wasn't hungry until like 6pm.

Soups mainly - I survived on butternut squash soup and nondairy potato soup for 2 days, then moved on to other soft foods. I couldn't chew crunchy things (think tortilla chips) for 2 weeks. Couldn't chew things like chicken for about 4 days.

I was on percocet for the first 5 days, and it didn't take much to keep me full. Virtually no appetite on that stuff. My boyfriend would get home from work and ask me what I did - wasn't even with it enough to tell him what I'd watched on TV since I barely moved...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mine were pretty impacted and they had to do some major cutting to get them out...they couldn't just pull them. The only reason I bothered was because I had ended up with an absess.

Honestly, I had pretty much zero appetite for the first few days and had to pretty much force down chicken broth and that's about all I could handle. After the first few days I got some of my appetite back, but not a whole lot...pretty much the only things that appealed to me at all were brothy soups, mashed potatoes, lightly sauced pastas, etc.

Took me at least a week before I really got my appetite back.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I pretty much lived on soup, pudding, baby food, anything that was soft and easy on the mouth.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My experience with getting wisdom teeth removed was actually not that unpleasant. The first day I was on some pretty heavy painkillers, but from then on he only pain I felt was moderate discomfort and hat could be taken care of with some ibuprofen.

As to what you can eat
    -Greek yogurt: excellent source of protein
    -Ice cream: the coldness helps with some of the discomfort
    -Applesauce
    -Macaroni and cheese: cook it extra to help soften it, and the just slurp it down, no chewing required
    -Pudding: easy to eat, and if you're concerned about calories, Jello has sugar free cups that are only 6o calories, or you can make your own with sugar free fat free mix.
    -Mashed potatoes
    -Refried beans (combine it with some rice for a good source of protein)
    -Oatmeal
    -Peanut butter off the spoon
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    ask the one who is taking out your teeth . I'm sure they will have a list for you.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    when I had my wisdom teeth AND tonsils out, I could only eat mac and cheese. the wisdom teeth pain was worse, but the tonsils... I literally could only eat mac and cheese for a MONTH.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of mine done at once..yuck...mashed potatoes, jello and pudding worked well for me!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    glad i was born without wisdom teeth (yes, haw haw, i was born without wisdom)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I had an accident about a year ago that busted my mouth up pretty bad. 30+ stitches. I drank Carnation instant breakfast, ate yogurt, mashed potatoes, and apple sauce
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I sucked down Bolthouse smoothies when I could since it was liquid fruit and veg. Aside from that, I had the Vanilla Chai from the same brand because it was calcium and protein. I managed to try and have one cup of each during the day. The rest was sleeping lol

Good luck! Some people I know have also mentioned they went home after the procedure and had a steak, so it's all unique.

It also depends on how wide you can open your mouth, so I stuck with drinks and NO straws.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, DON"T eat nuts!!! LOL, I made that mistake. Also make sure they give you a syringe, helps to pressure wash anything that gets caught in the sockets.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I got mine out (all 4 impacted. boo) during summer break from college when I was 19. My mom made me baked mac and cheese and I ate that and jello for the first couple days. But like another poster said, I was taking percocet and it didn't take much food at ALL to fill me up.
  • kiararocks
    Options
    Yogurt, mashed potatoes, pureed veggies (I love my immersion blender!), oatmeal, ice cream & frozen yogurt - Don't drink anything through a straw though, you'll end up with dry socket and be in a lot of pain!!