Anyone tried "Curves"? Give me your thoughts......

Options
I'd like your thoughts on "Curves" before I decide to join. I don't want to go to a gym and I heard this only takes about 30 minutes which I could do right after work. Thank you all......

Replies

• GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it, but have only heard good things.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I want to, but they won't call me back.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I did it for a year and a half. It was perfect to start out with but when I had to move sites because I moved... the new site was subpar and I ended up hating it. I jazzercise now which I love so much more!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I did, a long time ago. IMHO it was great for getting started but quickly became a non-challenge. It felt like I had maxed out the intensity and was simply too easy.
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    They are franchise owned, I am pretty sure, so the experiences, and even the equipment available can differ quite a bit from location to location. They generally have the same machines but some have more than others. I think it's great if you are just starting out and self concious. It's a supportive atmosphere and there's only women there.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love curves...the circut training is a great combination of cardio and strength training...the tracking helps you to see where your weaknesses are and the support of the staff and other members is awesome!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've done Curves before but didn't really like it. It was too much intensity for where I was at physically and I ended up passed out in the changing room at one point. I got really really bored with the same circuit too. They closed the Curves in our town now so I have a membership at the regular gym or go to the park.
  • minibee12
    Options
    I am actually going to start Curves Complete today! But I agree with the general feeling of "Good at first" but I have joined a YMCA to supplement.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Maybe my opinion doesn't count since I didn't actually join, but my first impression was bad. I went in to ask how much a membership was and they refused to tell me until I answered some questions. Some were OK like "What is your name?" and others were totally humiliating, like "Is this the heaviest you've ever been?" After being totally embarrassed by a stranger, they gave me the price and it was too much for my budget, so I walked out feeling like a gigantic, penniless cow. :( That was a long time ago and policies may have changed. Good luck to you, OP! I"ve heard good things from other people.
  • aadutton
    Options
    I did Curves before I got married 7+ years ago, and it was great for my goals at that time. I can see how for someone more "fit" or "closer to their fitness goals" than me, it couldbecome a non-challenge, but for me, it worked. It is a little over 30 minutes, it is all women (most of whom have similar struggles with weight as me), it is regimented (no standing around wondering what to do next) and the employees at the one I went to were supportive and helpful...

It wouldn't work now because there isn't one where I live, but if there was, I'd do it again.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves a few years ago and it really helped me in the beginning but then the workouts because too easy and very boring. The workouts were always the same. It is a great place to start but in the end you will need to move on to bigger and better things.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I not only used to go to Curves, I worked there for a year or so too. It was fun going around the circuit, but didn't really seem to help much with losing weight or losing very many inches. And I HATED having to measure the women each month, cuz each one of us that worked there held the measuring tape differently, some tighter than others. They wanted us to have it look like the members were losing inches, so by holding the tape alittle tighter, it would seem like the member HAD lost something, even if they really hadn't. The owners also started trying to get us to push their products, which I hated doing, cuz the members to me were already paying enough for their membership!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Walk in..I cant imagine them ignoring your phone calls.. But take the initiative and tell the person you tallk with you have left messages. I bet they would give you a free couole of weeks for your troubles!
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    And make sure you can stand the people that work there, I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. I stopped going to one because of the two main employees (yes, I tried talking to them directly; yes, I tried to ignore them; yes, I complained to management as a last resort). The Curves management likely knew it was a problem too since they willingly gave me a refund mid-contract. Anyway, just my opinion FWIW! ;)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves when it opened in my town (I live in England) and only went for 2 months. Even doing the workout at maximum effort, for twice the time recommended, it wasn't good enough for me. I need a much more intense workout, and I like my cardio too. I left and joined a 'proper' gym. I didn't think the so-called instructors were any good, and they didn't offer any classes.

Saying that, it could've improved by now.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curves_International

Depends if you are happy with your money going to where he ultimately donates it too...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Walk in..I cant imagine them ignoring your phone calls.. But take the initiative and tell the person you tallk with you have left messages. I bet they would give you a free couole of weeks for your troubles!

Ummm. Men types aren't so welcome at Curves....
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I belonged two years ago only because it was close and there is nothing else around. I joined again last March because they offer zumba (again, the only local place that has it). So, I gave the circuit another round and don't find it worth my time. I was working out very hard on the circuit and still the most calories I burned per my hrm in that time was 92 cals. That same 30 minutes I can burn 200+ calories running or doing the elliptical. I will say this - if you are not in shape, just beginning your journey or have health issues then I think Curves is a great thing. I pay my monthly dues, but I only go there for the zumba (which is additional money), My sister in law has gone faithfully for four years, four times a week. She hasn't lost weight, but at least she gets some amount of exercise.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    As for ignoring phone calls - as for the Curves Ive been to and know if, there is only ever one instructor at a time working so they let the answering machine pick up. I definitely say walk in & check it out rather than waiting for a call.
  • 503nicksmom
    Options
    I did Curves and it was not a challenge after about a month. Didn't do much for my fitness, but I met a lot of very nice ladies.
    :smile: