Canning Pancake Batter

Options
Sooooo..... I've read up on how to make my own rice flour and how to use it then for pancakes. Thing is, the pancake batter has to sit for an hour in order to use it (or overnight in the fridge). If I mixed a batch up and let it sit overnight, anyone see a problem with vacuum sealing it in a mason jar (kept in fridge) for future use? This would be with MIXED pancake batter not dry ingredients, so rice flour, eggs, milk, etc.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eggs and milk are perfect food for pathogenic microorganisms because they have protein and water, that flies in the face of the most basic kitchen hygiene rules. There is no way you can make sterile rice flour nor sterile pancake batter in a regular kitchen, just keeping the air off doesn't stop all microbes growing, there are anaerobes. Stuff that is canned is usually cooked to sterilise and/ or stored in sugar, salt or vinegar to stop nasties growing. Even stores generally sell a dry mix because preserving wet uncooked batter is so difficult.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    People freeze cake batter. What if it is frozen?

Also, since rice flour can be done by grinding dry rice, I see no reason why on earth anyone could fail to do this hygenically in their own home.
  • Firefox7275
    Options

Also, since rice flour can be done by grinding dry rice, I see no reason why on earth anyone could fail to do this hygenically in their own home.

I take it you have never studied microbiology/ food hygiene/ worked in a hospital pharmacy/ food factory/ research laboratories. Google Bacillus cereus, anaerobes and rice. Or don't bother, just crack on regardless.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I take it you have never studied microbiology/ food hygiene/ worked in a hospital pharmacy/ food factory/ research laboratories. Google Bacillus cereus, anaerobes and rice. Or don't bother, just crack on regardless.

I make all my canned pancake batter in a clean room
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What temp do i set the griddle?
    Also how will i know the batter is done in the can?
    Blessings
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a terrible idea. What kind of pancake situations do you get involved in that you can't wait an hour, or make it the night before? If you froze it, you would have to let it defrost anyway, which would undoubtedly take more than an hour. Just try to plan ahead a little for your pancake emergencies, it will be fine.

Ps. Is this one hour rule something to do with the rice flour? I made regular pancakes just the other day and cooked them immediately and they were delicious.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between clean & sterile. I wouldn't do it. Freezing the batter might work, but you'd still have to plan ahead enough to thaw it out. Also, standard canning methods, including pressure canning, certainly wouldn't work.
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    Sounds like a terrible idea. What kind of pancake situations do you get involved in that you can't wait an hour, or make it the night before? If you froze it, you would have to let it defrost anyway, which would undoubtedly take more than an hour. Just try to plan ahead a little for your pancake emergencies, it will be fine.

Ps. Is this one hour rule something to do with the rice flour? I made regular pancakes just the other day and cooked them immediately and they were delicious.

I plan lunches/dinners, I don't plan breakfasts which is why it would be nice to have it ready to go when the mood for pancakes hits which is why I wouldn't want to freeze it. I was just checking to see if it could be done which I still don't see why it couldn't be vacuum sealed.

The one hour thing is because of the rice flour. A lot of gluten free doughs (pizza dough for one) require a waiting period for the dough to be ready.

I found another recipe that doesn't require the hour wait, but it calls for a lot of "wet" ingredients that I might not have on hand. :-\ I guess I'm doomed to keep buying the gluten free Bisquick. At least I can have my pancakes right away with that. :-\
  • wrapgirl2022
    wrapgirl2022 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For ease on time, i cook a huge batch of pancakes and freeze them. Laying them with wax paper and seal in a ziploc. once frozen solid they can be vac packed, but they never last long enough in my house for that. The same can be done with waffles.

I realize that they are not the "same" as hot off the griddle but it makes school mornings easier.
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For ease on time, i cook a huge batch of pancakes and freeze them. Laying them with wax paper and seal in a ziploc. once frozen solid they can be vac packed, but they never last long enough in my house for that. The same can be done with waffles.

I realize that they are not the "same" as hot off the griddle but it makes school mornings easier.

^this. Why would you even bother to try canning?
  • My1985Freckles
    Options

Do you just pop them in the toaster then? This sounds like a good idea.
  • Firefox7275
    Options
    I was just checking to see if it could be done which I still don't see why it couldn't be vacuum sealed.

Why waste everyone's time with a thread when you've already made up your mind and are not going to read and check out the answers? I've told you why not and others have said the same as I have. Presumably you either think we are stupid or liars, actually I am qualified to degree level in this stuff - spent years in hospital pharmacy (class 1 clean rooms) and research laboratories (microbiology, genetics) before retraining in my current discipline.

Next time please state in the OP that you only want answers that agree with your opinion and I won't waste your time posting.
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    I was just checking to see if it could be done which I still don't see why it couldn't be vacuum sealed.

Why waste everyone's time with a thread when you've already made up your mind and are not going to read and check out the answers? I've told you why not and others have said the same as I have. Presumably you either think we are stupid or liars, actually I am qualified to degree level in this stuff - spent years in hospital pharmacy (class 1 clean rooms) and research laboratories (microbiology, genetics) before retraining in my current discipline.

Next time please state in the OP that you only want answers that agree with your opinion and I won't waste your time posting.

Gee Whiz! No need to get all cranky over it. I wanted to know the answer to the question. You say it can't be done, so be it. I still wanted to know the answer and I still might try to do it. How is that hurting you? There really was no need to get all cranky over the whole thing. I never said anyone was stupid or tried to insinuate that anyone was stupid, but you surely did. Take a chill pill.
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the reason it needs to sit is so the flour can react to the leavening agent (baking powder or baking soda) that is what makes your batter 'bubble' and makes pancakes fluffy. I would think canning it would destroy that chemistry. You might still be able to cook it, but would prob. end up with flat, heavy pancakes.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I usually just make a huge batch of pancakes, cook all of them up and then freeze the cooked pancakes. You can freeze them with wax or parchment paper between them or you can just freeze them on a cookie sheet and then put them in a freezer bag or plastic wrap. When you want pancakes just put them in the toaster, toaster oven or microwave them and you're good to go. You can do this with waffles or french toast too.
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I usually just make a huge batch of pancakes, cook all of them up and then freeze the cooked pancakes. You can freeze them with wax or parchment paper between them or you can just freeze them on a cookie sheet and then put them in a freezer bag or plastic wrap. When you want pancakes just put them in the toaster, toaster oven or microwave them and you're good to go. You can do this with waffles or french toast too.

I do this too, and even tear them up into bite size pieces and put individual servings in a ziploc baggies for my boys and then freeze.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    botulism!!

If you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing DO NOT for the love of God can anything.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Canning lends itself better to acidic foods. I agree with the freezing suggestion.
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Why not cook your pancakes than freeze them then there would be no concerns. See someone else also suggested this.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you don't create a true vacuum, any bacteria present in the mixture will multiply, and if you are lucky the result will be sourdough pancake batter, and if you are unlucky, it will make you very ill. If you do manage to create a true vacuum, botulism which is highly toxic, and very common, but can only reproduce in a vacuum will grow in it--in which case you will get very ill. (Read any basic guide to canning if you don't believe me.) If you want to try to preserve the pancake batter, you could try freezing it, you could also try freezing cooked pancakes and defrosting them.

Edited to ad that botulism also won't grow in highly acidic environments and can be killed with a sufficient level of heat for a sufficient length of time. However, unless you want your pancakes to be more acidic than tomatoes (I'm not even sure how you'd accomplish that) or have them pre-baked in the jar, neither of those approaches will work.