advice please

Options
i am leaving on my first cruise tomorrow and very excited BUT so nervous about not having myfitnesspal and my scale for a whole week. i gained 5 lbs over the holiday and afraid i am going to come back gaining even more weight. any advice about keeping weight off when there is going to be so much food?? ps. pretty new to this weight loss thing

Replies

• MarJay12
    Options
    Take the stairs whereever you go! Use the gym on board. Don't drink your calories in the fancy cocktails. The"fit" menu still has a load of calories so watch what you eat. Go to the dining room for dinner everynight and enjoy being waited on, that way you aren't tempted to try everything at the buffet. That is what my sister and I did and it was the first time I didnt gain weight on a cruise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    If you keep busy, you'll be fine. We all need a break from our scales and our life.

Just enjoy it. Don't put a cloud over your head.

I never gain weight on vacation, I'm always moving around more than normal. They have healthier choices on cruises..but why?
  • wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    it's pretty sad but it look me a whole year to loss 15 lbs, that is why i am so nervous about putting weight on. i know that i already have at least 2 months of trying to get these 5 lbs from the holidays off.

thank you all for your advice!! :)
  • wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gemini0007
    gemini0007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    go for a swim on board, walk around the ship, use thier gym, when you do have a drink ask for diet mix - ie vodka and diet tonic - then get up and boogie - that'll keep the cals down. Enjoy yourself and just focus on exercise - a little bit each day. good luck :-)
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's not sad at all. I've been trying to lose 30 lbs for 3 years now :laugh:

Enjoy the cruise.

Portion control.

Move move move. Walk walk walk.

HAVE FUN!
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    First and foremost...have a great time, and enjoy!!! That's why we go on vacation.

Big tip I learned was to decide what I wanted out of it weightwise...did I want to maintain, try to lose, or was there a gain amount I'd be ok with when I got home. Deciding that up front certainly took some pressure off while I was gone...if I accepted a gain of 2, 3, 4 lbs (whatever); I felt a little more relaxed about all that while away. And usually never put on what I was allowing myself.

Like others have said...move as much as you can. Cruises are great, but there is A LOT of down time when at sea, you can definitely get in a workout, they'll probably have a great gym to use.

The buffetts may be challenging, but just wander first and decide what you really want before diving in. I think most ships have some sit down type restaurants as well where you can order and be served.

I actually took my scale w/me on our last vacation...I was very "in the zone" and didn't want to get derailed while we were gone, it worked for me and kept things in check.

Good luck, and enjoy every second of it!!!
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    First, I bet there'll be a scale in the ship workout room. No guarantees if it'll match your home scale, but it's better than dragging one along.

As noted above, definitely avoid the buffet and go to the dining room. And the fancy drinks can have over 1000 calories in them, they'll bust your track for sure if you let them.

Exercise, but most of all have FUN! If you gain a pound or two over the week, it's not the end of the world, you just have a setback. But it's better if you can stay on track. Moderation in all things I suppose.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    All great advice so far. My two cents are to remember there is no clean plate club or prize if you finish your food. If its delicious-great! Enjoy and savor it- you didn't have to cook or clean up. If its not delicious-don't eat anymore of it! Save your calories for things you really want and enjoy. Most of all-have a fabulous time!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My advice is this: you don't have to sample everything on the menu on the first night - desserts included :D
    Be sensible without being overly restrictive. Make use of all the facilities the boat has to offer -gym, pool, activities. Explore any ports you stop at. Don't sit at the dinner table going ohh I can't have this and I can't have that because you are there to enjoy the experience. Maybe change it to: I will have this tonight and try that tomorrow. People around you also don't want to talk diets on a holiday - it guilts them (and you) out.

And...explore the gym when you get there and weigh yourself before you sample the goodies so you set a baseline for your weight on the boat's scales. Then weigh if you want and only look at the change between days not the total number..you haven't gained 5 pounds by walking onto the boat and finding their scales say so! Save that for your own scales.

ENJOY your holiday or you may as well not go.