Need advice on Polar FT7 and Stronglifts, Thank you!

Options
Hi, my name is Michelle and I need advice. I have googled, read other posts, and done a little research, but I would really appreciate advice from any willing to give it.

5'10"
197 lbs

Goal: be healthy, lose fat, gain muscle, look good, be as fit as possible

Current Workout:

Hour of Cardio Monday-Friday (stair stepper, treadmill incline, treadmill jogging, stationary bicycle)

Stronglifts 5x5 Monday, Wednesday, Friday after hour of cardio.

Ideally some physical outdoor activity on weekends, but not gauranteed. More difficult to accomplish during alaskan winters, but I know that's no excuse.

Questions:

I have been doing cardio for a long time, but started stronglifts 5x5 this week after seeing massive posts on how crucial and effective strength training is. I looked up routines and read posts. Decided to do Stronglifts 5x5. Monday I did Squats: 95 lbs, Barbell Rows: 65 lbs, and Bench Press: 85 lbs. Wednesday I did Squats: 100 lbs, Deadlift: 140 lbs, and Overhead press: 45 lbs. After work I will do the last routine of the week. These numbers are including the standard bar weight of 45 lbs. I have read up and see that adding 5 lbs each routine is recommended I have been looking up what weight to start at and I see many starting with an empty bar. Aside from being able to tell I lifted, I am not really sore from doing the weights i did and I tried hard to focus on form as well. I don't think the empty bar will be a strain for me at all. In your opinion, next week should I start with much lighter weight and add 5 lbs each routine, or continue doing what I'm doing?

I also see that heart rate monitors are amazing. I am going to get one. i have looked them up and read posts. I am thinking about a Polar FT7. Is this a good choice?

Thank you so much for anyone who gives me advice on anything. I am still figuring everything out and I love learning. I am open to all advice. I'm sorry it's so long, wasn't sure how to shorten it. And thank you to everyone for all the great posts in general.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The 5x5 program will build up quickly - don't go to fast to early. It is actually building up form and recruiting stabilizer muscles in the early sets. You are in it for the long run. Short cuts will not get you there much faster and will hinder form when you need it. However well you think you are doing things, your form is not good when you start. Take these few weeks to learn form.

The FT7 is ok, but I cannot recommend it over the RS3000 or anyone of the other watches that allows for V02 max input - use the search function to read up on the discussion on this.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the HRM won't be accurate for the weight lifting portion of your workout.
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    The 5x5 program will build up quickly - don't go to fast to early. It is actually building up form and recruiting stabilizer muscles in the early sets. You are in it for the long run. Short cuts will not get you there much faster and will hinder form when you need it. However well you think you are doing things, your form is not good when you start. Take these few weeks to learn form.

The FT7 is ok, but I cannot recommend it over the RS3000 or anyone of the other watches that allows for V02 max input - use the search function to read up on the discussion on this.

Thank you! I will start with the bar and add weight each lift. I just wasn't sure if I should if I don't strain at all with the empty bar. You are definitely right, it will be better to start real low/easy and build up so I get actual good form and prepare for heavier lifting. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! I am also going to find a HRM that allows V02 max input. Thanks for that as well. I will look into it.
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    Keep in mind the HRM won't be accurate for the weight lifting portion of your workout.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this just because of the HRM I mentioned or is this true for all HRMs? I thought I hread on posts that it would be good for lifting as well. Either way, I am ok with that, appreciate the information!
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have the Red Polar FT7 and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it. Had it over a year and no problems!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I just got a polar ft7 and it is great!
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    I have the Red Polar FT7 and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it. Had it over a year and no problems!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like it might be a good one for me then! I appreciate the input!
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    I just got a polar ft7 and it is great!

Awesome, sounds like it would be great for me, thank you! I appreciate the advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Beginning Strength which is similar to SL 5x5...start slow; I'm using my first couple weeks to focus on form and not worrying too much about the actual weight. Once I get the form and am comfortable with how weight feels I'll start bumping the weight up. I look a little silly next to the all of the big dudes around me at the gym, but I'd rather get my form down and avoid injury. I was actually worried that I'd be getting some quiet laughter behind me, but everyone has been pretty cool so far and one guy even helped me with my squats.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks for the heads up. Is this just because of the HRM I mentioned or is this true for all HRMs? I thought I hread on posts that it would be good for lifting as well. Either way, I am ok with that, appreciate the information!

HRMs are great for minding your HR zones and the like, but don't do much in RE to weight training...I personally wouldn't trust the calorie burn for the weight lifting. Just use it for your cardio. The ft7 is great...getting one when my ft4 breaks. It's pretty bare bones, but that's all I really need.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options

HRMs are great for minding your HR zones and the like, but don't do much in RE to weight training...I personally wouldn't trust the calorie burn for the weight lifting. Just use it for your cardio. The ft7 is great...getting one when my ft4 breaks. It's pretty bare bones, but that's all I really need.

Once again, why not? It's monitoring your heart rate which corresponds to calories burnt. My heart rate got up to 182 today doing barbell one legged squats and it definitely felt like it!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I would not start off a resistance program with 5 RM lifts. In the beginning, the main goals are to learn proper form, establish a consistent routine, and condition the muscles, soft tissues, ligaments, etc to a strength training routine.

In the beginning almost all of your gains are going to come from improved muscle efficiency anyhow, and that can happen will much lighter weights.

Don't get me wrong--I definitely recommend lifting "heav(ier)" weights. It's just going really heavy from the start doesn't get you into shape any faster. Give yourself 2-4 weeks to master the routine and then increase the intensity.

I would look at your cardio routine as well. If you are on a 5 day/wk, 60 min/day routine, it is easy to lose focus. You want to combine endurance cardio with tempo work (more or less continuous, but at a higher intensity and shorter duration), and some higher-intensity interval work.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Once again, why not? It's monitoring your heart rate which corresponds to calories burnt. My heart rate got up to 182 today doing barbell one legged squats and it definitely felt like it!!!

Here you go:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Why not?

Because HR during weight lifting is not purely indicative of oxygen consumption.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You will find that your weights increase quickly on SL so I highly recommend to start at bar weight and move your weight up per workout....moving up 15# per week on squat and at 10 or 20# per week on deadlift gets you up heavy pretty quickly and you want to ensure no injuries! There is an awesome women's group here....StrongLifts 5x5 for Women.

Also, I would recommend taking a different approach to your cardio while doing SL. You might either want to change it to your rest days or if anything, do it after your SL workout....doing 1 hour before lifting will eventually affect your ability to lift all those awesome heavy things :)

Have fun though! I just finished week 6 of my first cycle of SL and I love it!
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    I'm starting Beginning Strength which is similar to SL 5x5...start slow; I'm using my first couple weeks to focus on form and not worrying too much about the actual weight. Once I get the form and am comfortable with how weight feels I'll start bumping the weight up. I look a little silly next to the all of the big dudes around me at the gym, but I'd rather get my form down and avoid injury. I was actually worried that I'd be getting some quiet laughter behind me, but everyone has been pretty cool so far and one guy even helped me with my squats.

Yeah, my intent was not at all to just start lifting heavy and skip through the steps, I just figured it shouldn't be super easy and that I should at least be straining. Anyway, it makes sense to just start real slow and be patient. i will do that! And it's funny because I can totally relate. i didn't really realize how much I had to learn until my first day of stronglifts. I have lifted wieghts in high school for class and some dumb bells and machines, but nothing like stronglifts 5x5 for the most part. It has been interesting, but fun to start lifting. I am excited about it. I feel like it can be uncomfortable in some sitatuions, but people are usually supportive and you gotta start somewhere, right? Thanks for the reply!
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    You will find that your weights increase quickly on SL so I highly recommend to start at bar weight and move your weight up per workout....moving up 15# per week on squat and at 10 or 20# per week on deadlift gets you up heavy pretty quickly and you want to ensure no injuries! There is an awesome women's group here....StrongLifts 5x5 for Women.

Also, I would recommend taking a different approach to your cardio while doing SL. You might either want to change it to your rest days or if anything, do it after your SL workout....doing 1 hour before lifting will eventually affect your ability to lift all those awesome heavy things :)

Have fun though! I just finished week 6 of my first cycle of SL and I love it!

Thank you! I had a feeling this might be true. It is so much mor helpful to talk to people who work out rather than solely googling. I was thinking maybe a 30 min jog after weight days and an hour cardio threee days and then a rest day. I appreciate your reply!!! I will also listen and start with an empty bar!! Thank you!!
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options

Thanks for the input. I thought it measured it too. I'll have to read up on it more.
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I would not start off a resistance program with 5 RM lifts. In the beginning, the main goals are to learn proper form, establish a consistent routine, and condition the muscles, soft tissues, ligaments, etc to a strength training routine.

In the beginning almost all of your gains are going to come from improved muscle efficiency anyhow, and that can happen will much lighter weights.

Don't get me wrong--I definitely recommend lifting "heav(ier)" weights. It's just going really heavy from the start doesn't get you into shape any faster. Give yourself 2-4 weeks to master the routine and then increase the intensity.

I would look at your cardio routine as well. If you are on a 5 day/wk, 60 min/day routine, it is easy to lose focus. You want to combine endurance cardio with tempo work (more or less continuous, but at a higher intensity and shorter duration), and some higher-intensity interval work.

Awesome advice, thank you!! I will be starting off with much lower weight, the empty bar, to be sepcific. I wasn't intentionally doing the program wrong, just thought I should at least be lifting something that was somewhat challenging. i wasn't sore so I wasn't sure if it was a problem. I really appreciate the advice. Cardio has been getting difficult to stay motivated. I will switch up that routine as well and be looking into HIIT. i think that is an intensity program like you mentioned. I honestly had no idea how amazing lifting was until i started reading all these forums. I really appreciate the advice, thank you!