Protein powder in hot drinks

Options
issyfit
issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
I have been trying to get more protein by using a little protein powder here and there. It's good added to oatmeal. This morning I added some vanilla protein powder to a SF NF mocha and it was delicious. I don't like cold protein drinks in the winter so wanted to try a hot one. Anyone have any good suggestions for other hot options using protein powder?

Replies

• nannabannana
    Options
    I mix it in with my hot chocolate since its been such cold weather...delish:-)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get more protein by using a little protein powder here and there. It's good added to oatmeal. This morning I added some vanilla protein powder to a SF NF mocha and it was delicious. I don't like cold protein drinks in the winter so wanted to try a hot one. Anyone have any good suggestions for other hot options using protein powder?

I mix whey and milk in a shaker and then I use it as creamer during the day, in my coffee.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    As you know I use it in my oatmeal. And now you have me wanting to try it hot. Good idea thanks for posting that. I have added it to pancakes also.
  • issyfit
    Options
    As you know I use it in my oatmeal. And now you have me wanting to try it hot. Good idea thanks for posting that. I have added it to pancakes also.

I got the oatmeal idea from you. :drinker: Pancakes sound like a good idea, I may even have some pancake recipes for using it on Pinterest.

Di, thank you for the hot chocolate idea.

SideSteel--thanks for idea, I don't use creamer but someone else may benefit from it.
  • deeshear
    Options
    I mix with hot coffee and it's wonderful
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla whey with oatmeal and fruit with some milk. Tastes great. For a hot beverage I use a chocolate whey in the blender with some milk and blend, then pour in coffee. It makes an awesome mocha-chino. It is key though to disolve the whey in the milk first or it tends to clump when the coffee is added. Sometimes, you may want to microwave it a little to bring it back up to hot but not for very long or the protein gets a little funky. Just 20 to 30 seconds. If the coffee is really hot this is not usually nessesary.
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The only thing to watch is that some protein powders clump up in liquid that is too hot. It is disgusting!! Warm your liquid (coffee, milk, etc.) a bit and add your powder. Then I use a frother to mix in my protein powder and then heat up more if needed.

I love the hot protein drinks in cold weather.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla whey with oatmeal and fruit with some milk. Tastes great. For a hot beverage I use a chocolate whey in the blender with some milk and blend, then pour in coffee. It makes an awesome mocha-chino. It is key though to disolve the whey in the milk first or it tends to clump when the coffee is added. Sometimes, you may want to microwave it a little to bring it back up to hot but not for very long or the protein gets a little funky. Just 20 to 30 seconds. If the coffee is really hot this is not usually nessesary.

This!

I put it directly in my coffee yesterday- I was out of milk- and it worked, but took a LOT of mixing. Also, some brands do better with heat than others.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I mix whey and milk in a shaker and then I use it as creamer during the day, in my coffee.

This is what I do. The only way I like my protein cold is in plain greek yogurt.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've been jonesing for some creamy coffee . . . thanks for the idea!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I also put chocolate whey in my coffee. Like Bean said, it takes more mixing but it's tasty. I also throw a little pinch of salt in there.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I tried this the other day. I mixed my chocolate protein powder into my coffee. It dissolved right away with no clumping. It tasted just like one of those International instant coffees that used to be really popular. That could be a good thing for a lot of people, but I hate that stuff. I managed to drink the coffee because I didn't want to toss the protein powder. But lesson learned for me :)
  • issyfit
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas! I'm putting chocolate protein powder on my list, have only tried vanilla.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Why the hell didn't I think of that?!?
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options

I've never thought of doing this, I'm going to try it!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options

OMG, you are my new hero. I would have never thought to do this.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    great ideas! I must try it!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Here's the protein pancake recipe I use:

1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 rounded tbsp psyllium husk powder
    Dash of cinnamon
    Little blip of vanilla
    Enough water to make a thin batter (about 3/4c)

(I know, not super precise, but I'm not a measuring type)

Bring the batter together and let it sit for a few minutes because it'll thicken up as it sits. Then plop them it on the griddle.

ETA: It'll make between 6 and 10 pancakes depending on how large you make them.

a539636ada5911e1a47b22000a1cf766_7.jpg
  • issyfit
    Options
    Here's the protein pancake recipe I use:

1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 rounded tbsp psyllium husk powder
    Dash of cinnamon
    Little blip of vanilla
    Enough water to make a thin batter (about 3/4c)

(I know, not super precise, but I'm not a measuring type)

Bring the batter together and let it sit for a few minutes because it'll thicken up as it sits. Then plop them it on the griddle.

ETA: It'll make between 6 and 10 pancakes depending on how large you make them.

a539636ada5911e1a47b22000a1cf766_7.jpg

Thank you so much, and thanks for posting the picture so I could pin it.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Any one have any suggestions as to which brands/flavors to mix into hot drinks, particularly coffee. I've been looking at this for a bit, but then I look at those massive tubs and the cost and think if this doesn't work that is alot of "investment".