Early AM Post Work out Nutrition???

Options
I have been going into the gym @ 4 am and work out til 5- 5:30 before work and i was not eating anything after and I was told by not eating anything Before ( its toooo early to eat anything THAT early) and because I dont eat anything after.. that im not doing my body ANY justice by not fueling it after a work out and that I might as well have just stayed in bed. That news brought TEARS to my EYES!! So my question is... what do you eat after a early morning workout? Protein Shakes? What kind of shake do you have without packing on the calories? I typically don't eat breakfast until 9:30 so I need to find something for in between .

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have been going into the gym @ 4 am and work out til 5- 5:30 before work and i was not eating anything after and I was told by not eating anything Before ( its toooo early to eat anything THAT early) and because I dont eat anything after.. that im not doing my body ANY justice by not fueling it after a work out and that I might as well have just stayed in bed.

That twisting of facts is ridiculous and whoever said that to you is taking things to such extreme endpoints that I'd question whether the rest of their information was also downright stupid.

That being said, if you are training fasted I would recommend that you get some sort of nutritive food (a mixed meal or a protein shake) somewhere near your training.

To put things into perspective you could train in the AM, fasted, and not eat anything until the PM, and if your total nutrition is in a good spot you will still make fine progress. (I don't think this is ideal)

Saying that you might as well not even work out represents a ridiculous misunderstanding of things.

EDIT: But I suppose my hammering on the person who gave you that info doesn't solve your problem. Check out Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard as one option. 23-24g protein and usually 120kcal per scoop. That's a pretty good ratio. If it were me, I'd probably take some in the AM pre-training, or both before and after --- but again to be 100% loud and clear, you will still make progress regardless of your nutrient timing if your total nutrition is on point. Total intake will be FAR more important than when you ingest it.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I get up for work at 4:30 AM, eat a bowl of oatmeal, and ride my bike 5.5 miles to work. Then I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (on Dave's Light Killer Bread) before my shift starts. If I don't eat that sandwich I'm uncomfortably hungry all morning.

This is the fittest I've ever been in my adult life. The early morning eating hasn't had a negative impact on me, but different things work for different people.
  • MindyLyn315
    Options
    Thank Goodness because they were getting all technical with stating that my body fasting would feed off off muscles and muscles burn fat.. and it just made me so upset thinking that I may have busted my *kitten* getting out the door by 3 45 am to be at the gym. My whole thought process has always been.. More active and less caloric intake = weight loss.. til I heard THAT...
  • MindyLyn315
    Options
    Its not so much of early eating is a negative thing.. its just that Im lucky to get out the door and TO the gym then to think about eating something.. but if I had a protein shake to have after to drink while I drove home and got ready for work perhaps that would help.. But Id rather not Drink my calories.. unless its a beer!! lol
  • CraigAtter
    Options
    I would think you should at least have a scoop of protein after your workout. You could try Magic Porridge also which is a portion of porridge oats and about 150-200g low fat or any yogurt mixed in and left in the fridge over night and it doesnt need cooking, just take it with you and eat after your workout. You can add anything in it berries or any other fruit to flavour it.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Nuts or chocolate milk
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was actually reading about his just now

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/880/Pre-Workout_Breakfast_Nutrition_for_9_to_5ers.aspx

It's by Charles Poliquin, one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the world. It's a bit different to what our normal diet goes by, but it works.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I was actually reading about his just now

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/880/Pre-Workout_Breakfast_Nutrition_for_9_to_5ers.aspx

It's by Charles Poliquin, one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the world. It's a bit different to what our normal diet goes by, but it works.

Poliquin has also claimed that calorie counting is for certified morons.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I will run or do boot camp from about 5 or 5:30 am - 6:30 and I don't usually get a chance to eat until i get to work around 8am. Breakfasts usually include Coffee + 1 of the following:
    Smoothie
    Oatmeal - I keep instant oatmeal at the office for days when I forget to grab something
    Hard Boiled eggs (I like to have them handy in the fridge to grab and go)
    String cheese
    Egg Sandwich (english muffin, cheese and over-hard egg)
    Yogurt Parfait (Fresh fruit, granola, 1 cup yogurt)
    I've done Costco Weight Loss Shakes too in a pinch
  • MindyLyn315
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks so much everyone :-)
  • wl4good
    wl4good Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do early morning workouts (5:00am to 6:30) and I'm not very hungry until 9ish so i have a spoonful of peanut butter and a glass of skim milk to hold me for those few hours
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I do early morning workouts and don't get breakfast right away, a glass of chocolate milk (I use chocolate Ovaltine & 2% milk) - hits the spot and holds me over until I can eat a proper brekky. :smile:
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Throw an EAS carb controal edge advantage (not sure which is the correct name...) and throw it in your bag for a post work-out protein shake. ALSO - you can put one of those Special K protein water packets in your water and drink that throughout your workout. I love the strawberry kiwi!
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Did I mention the special K protein water is only 30 calories?? 5 grams protein, 5 grams fiber (yay fiber!) and 0... ZERO sugar... :)
  • haroon_awan
    Options
    That's a VERY naive version of his claim and highly ignorant.

For me, Poliquin's argument was that counting calories ALONE was for certified morons. His argument was that macronutrient ratios and the quality of foods should be taken into account when counting calories. Simple, yet crude example of his argument:

If your goal is to eat under 2100: There is no point eating 2000 calories from McDonalds/Subway/cakes biscuits/Coke/Pepsi/alcohol if fat loss is your goal because this is a terrible diet.
    ***This version of counting calories is for certified morons.***

If your goal is to eat under 2100: Counting 2000 calories from non-processed, good quality proteins, fats, complex carbs, and hitting your macronutrient goals for the day is the right way to count calories.

There is a major difference.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    That's a VERY naive version of his claim and highly ignorant.

I agree, it was a very ignorant thing of him to say, but it sort of comes with the territory as he's sort of nuts, recommending 50+ pills for intra-workout nutrition. LOL.

There's a pretty good discussion about it here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145332551&page=1
  • haroon_awan
    Options
    It was pretty ignorant, because people will take it out of context. They'll hear that phrase "for certified morons" and think, that's all he meant. But in his defence his work is mainly aimed at those who know or want to know a little more than calories in vs calories out and focus hormones, macros, goals, training, discipline etc.

"He's sort of nuts" Yeah to be fair LOL. But you know whenever I take the advice I read from him, I always feel better and feel I am training better.

The pills he recommends, in my view, are primarily for those who want to look like a bodybuilder. The 40/50 supplements are mainly BCAAs, plus a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. The dose of BCAAs he and others recommend is 0.4g per kg of bodyweight.

For the general person looking to gain muscle/lose fat you don't need much of the supplements he recommends.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its not so much of early eating is a negative thing.. its just that Im lucky to get out the door and TO the gym then to think about eating something.. but if I had a protein shake to have after to drink while I drove home and got ready for work perhaps that would help.. But Id rather not Drink my calories.. unless its a beer!! lol

Don't stress about it as long as you get your daily calories and macros during the day and not having anything before does not impact your gym performance. You do not need to rush your post workout meal but I would not leave it too long - just get something in within a few hours and you will have covered your bases. I train fasted in the morning (not as early as you though) and do not eat until a little after noon - I do eat quite a lot late at night the night before though.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    - I do eat quite a lot late at night the night before though.
    [/quote]
    Obviously it doesn't have too bad of an effect on you though!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been going into the gym @ 4 am and work out til 5- 5:30 before work and i was not eating anything after and I was told by not eating anything Before ( its toooo early to eat anything THAT early) and because I dont eat anything after.. that im not doing my body ANY justice by not fueling it after a work out and that I might as well have just stayed in bed.

That twisting of facts is ridiculous and whoever said that to you is taking things to such extreme endpoints that I'd question whether the rest of their information was also downright stupid.

That being said, if you are training fasted I would recommend that you get some sort of nutritive food (a mixed meal or a protein shake) somewhere near your training.

To put things into perspective you could train in the AM, fasted, and not eat anything until the PM, and if your total nutrition is in a good spot you will still make fine progress. (I don't think this is ideal)

Saying that you might as well not even work out represents a ridiculous misunderstanding of things.

EDIT: But I suppose my hammering on the person who gave you that info doesn't solve your problem. Check out Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard as one option. 23-24g protein and usually 120kcal per scoop. That's a pretty good ratio. If it were me, I'd probably take some in the AM pre-training, or both before and after --- but again to be 100% loud and clear, you will still make progress regardless of your nutrient timing if your total nutrition is on point. Total intake will be FAR more important than when you ingest it.
    I honestly believe it's up to the individual. There are plenty who train fasted and don't eat for hours afterwards. Not a gram of BCAA in sight.