I need tips on losing belly fat!

Options
So Im sick of searching the internet for exercises and eating diets to help me lose stomach fat, does anybody have good ideas/tips??

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You can pick and choose where you lose fat, its genetic
    Just eat in a calorie deficit and eventually it will come off
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

He means *can't.

& He's right.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

He means *can't.

& He's right.

What they said.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Exercises: Fork putdowns, table pushaways, lateral head rotations (as in saying "No" to food in excess of your daily calories).

Diet: Reasonable caloric deficit (take in less than you expend).

Supplements: A mix of strength training, cardio and patience.

As other posters have already said, spot reduction isn't possible. Your fat will come off according to your genetics and there's no way to 'target' your abdominal area.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

He means *can't.

& He's right.

What they said.

EXACTLY!!!

Eat at a calorie deficit, Drink plenty of water, do cardio, eat healthy
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    All of the above ^^

Good luck!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

He means *can't.

& He's right.

What they said.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    >>Exercises: Fork putdowns, table pushaways, lateral head rotations (as in saying "No" to food in excess of your daily calories).
    and I'll add, closing the fridge while you eat, and sitting down. <--- those can be my pitfalls.
    You can't really get success by searching the interwebs for ads or promises. You have to start moving and sweating. Oh, and lifting stuff you think you can't really lift. . .With your arms of course, not your back. ;)
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Don't eat these 5 foods. (rotten banana pic)
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I wish I could will the fat from my stomach to my chest instead but genetics says I'm always going to gain weight on my bottom half first and lose it last. If I want a flat stomach and a decent sized chest I'm going to have to have surgical intervention.

Unfortunately you can't choose where to lose fat from. All the crunches and planks will give you muscle but it will be hidden under the fat layer.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Every person is different when it comes to how their body gets rid of fat. Just keep working your core and burning fat.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So Im sick of searching the internet for exercises and eating diets to help me lose stomach fat, does anybody have good ideas/tips??

Oddly enough, getting enough sleep is part of the solution. Lack of quality sleep will raise your cortisol levels which will preserve belly fat. In general, reducing body fat will take abdominal fat down too, but I have found that my abdominal fat really started to shrink when I added a couple of hours of vigorous exercise.
  • nhowze23
    nhowze23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better. We sometimes "rush to fail" for a quickie on losing weight.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Oddly enough, getting enough sleep is part of the solution. Lack of quality sleep will raise your cortisol levels which will preserve belly fat. In general, reducing body fat will take abdominal fat down too, but I have found that my abdominal fat really started to shrink when I added a couple of hours of vigorous exercise.

Haha tell that to my 3.5 year old and 19 month old! 'Please go to bed so mummy's belly can get smaller!'.

I agree that you can't spot reduce - my belly and inner thighs seem to be the last place it goes from!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Don't eat these 5 foods. (rotten banana pic)

Fructose consumption seems to cause a derangement in fat metabolism. Since table sugar (sucrose) is 50% fructose, it makes sense to avoid any added sugar or processed foods that contain a lot of sugar. I found abdominal fat (and body fat in general) much more resistant to my attempts to burn it off when I was still consuming some sugar (even though it's "only 18 calories per teaspoon").
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Haha tell that to my 3.5 year old and 19 month old! 'Please go to bed so mummy's belly can get smaller!'.

Yeh--been there and done that. It will get better. (Until they are teenagers and you stay up late worrying about them). :wink:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Everything you've read boils down to:

Eat clean, train hard AND BE PATIENT
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In the Army there's 3 magic measurements. Belly, neck, and height. Height you have no control over. Neck you can work with slightly by doing exercises such as shrugs. Belly has to be low body fat. Now, you do want to work your abs so your muscles can effectively hold your guts in and not look as sloppy. However, no amount of anything will target belly fat. If there was something, everybody in the military would know about it. There are "cosmetic surgery" things, such as injections and lypo but that's extreme and expensive... not to mention you can lose more inches off your waist by diet and exercise in that time period than you will by injections. Realize you won't start to see a 6 pack until you get down to 10% bodyfat or lower. It's called bodyfat, not ab fat. It took awhile to put it on, it'll take awhile to take it off. Stay dedicated but don't starve yourself.