Best time to give up smoking?

Options
When is the best time to give up smoking? Would it be whilst I am dieting or when I have reached my goal? I'm just worried about not losing weight if I give in the smoking right now, but it's something I want to do sooner rather than later as I have been smoking nearly 6 years and I don't want my kids to grow up seeing me doing it.

Replies

• betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    5:45 Today!

:drinker:
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Today!

Make a decision and stick with it. The first 2 weeks will be hard.. very hard.. but YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Right Meow !
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    RIGHT NOW!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My response is yesterday; however, I say that as a very heavy smoker. Do as i say, not as I do!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Right now! I quit in April 2009 and it was the best decision I ever made.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    shoulda quit yesterday
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Right now!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Right here, right now.

No-one can go back and make a different beginning.

But YOU can start now and make a different ending.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    quit tonight when you go to bed....Wake up tomorrow a non smoker. I quit on the 1st and have dropped 3lbs....Not that it's normal but you may as well just jump on the non smoking bandwagon and drink lots of water and chew gum. :) Always better to be 10 lbs heavier than a smoker. :) Best of luck to you.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Now! You'll feel better, fruits and veggies taste even yummier, you can exercise longer!

I regret having smoked for so many years, I haven't regretted a single day of not smoking!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I quit seven years ago because I was done with it. I don't know why it stuck this last time, but it did. I don't know if it would be harder to quit while you're also trying to eat healthier foods and exercise, but I would look at it as an overhaul on my entire life. I'm trying to get healthy and take care of my body, so I'm eating right, exercising, and quitting smoking.

Good luck! :-)
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago this past September, before I was even determined to lose weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Right now!
  • LauraRhodes0902
    LauraRhodes0902 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Right this second!!! I quit after I got pregnant with my first child in 2006 and have never looked back!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Right now!! Take that pack of cigs you have in your purse or desk at work and throw it in the trash!! Go home and throw the rest of them away too!!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    As soon as possible would be great, but realistically speaking it'd probably be a lot easier to taper off until eventually you don't need it anymore. I was about at 2 packs a day before I decided to start tapering off, I've tried cold turkey before but it was absolute hell.

Oh and run, a hard jog around the neighborhood will remind you why you're quitting and keep you motivated.
    Good luck!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i gave up smoking 2 years ago. my suggestion to you would be to do it at a time when you don't feel that it'll wreck your progress too much.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago this past September, before I was even determined to lose weight.

high 5! me too
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    These people are all kinda right. There never will be an optimal time and if you wait for it you are just making excuses. That said, the serious advice tends to say: Set a date sometime in the near future, so you have time to prepare yourself for it, and some time to psych yourself up.
    Good luck !