I'm so hungry. My calorie goal is just not cutting it!

Options
I aim to eat 5-6 meals a day, but I've been struggling with being super hungry. I do well until 3pm and again at 8pm, both times when my stomach is growling and I go scrounging for snacks. My calorie goal is 1200 calories/day based on my hope to lose 1 lb per week. I have been getting a good mix of protein and veggies in my diet. Is this where I break down and up my carbs? Help!

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. How tall are you? Figure out what your BMR is..and dont eat lower than that. Are you eating your exercise calories back?

There are lots of factors..also..eat more calorie dense foods...my goto food is almonds..
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    read this:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

also, unless you are very short and lay in bed all day, you need to up your cals.
    most people swear by upping the protein.
    I do really well with a combo of protein and healthy fat like salmon or sardines
    or protein with tons of fiber like a chilli or lentil soup with tons of veggies.
    either can fill me up and keep me satisfied for 4-5 hours sometimes.
    hummus is another one, good for snacks.
  • jbright2011
    Options
    I am not really hungry, but I just had 1 short bread cookies, and I really feel like eating the whole bag; BUT I put the bag away and I started typing with a full glass of water beside me. I am over my gooal today too, but let's celebrate the victories.......I DID WALK AWAY. Also you are doing the right thing.....ASKING FOR HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT. So here goes remember to drink all your water, get carrots, gets celery sticks these really fill you up. Hope this helps......
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Run your numbers. Find out for yourself what you can eat to fuel your body and to fuel your work outs. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be hungry to lose weight. Get off the yo yo diet train now - while you still can. That, or plan to keep coming back to MFP every time you regain the weight. Good luck!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    lol we posted the same link. I just found it last night. Bookmarked baby.
  • lulusmom
    Options
    Okay, based on that link, my BMR is at 1300/day. So, I'll bump my goal up a couple hundred calories per day and stop regretting being in the 1500 range this week. Thanks all!
  • lulusmom
    Options
    Okay, I'm still confused. If my BMR is 1300, should I be eating 20% LESS than that to lose weight? Because that makes my calorie goal under 1200.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm still confused. If my BMR is 1300, should I be eating 20% LESS than that to lose weight? Because that makes my calorie goal under 1200.

Nope. You have to add burned calories from daily activity and exercise first, THEN subtract.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're confusing TDEE and BMR. BMR is the number of calories your body would need to exist in a coma. TDEE is BMR + daily activity. You deduct your weight loss goal from your TDEE number but not to the point of being below your BMR.
  • revzzz
    revzzz Posts: 8
    Options
    1200 calories divided by 6 meals would make me hungry too.
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here is some excellent advice from Lyle McDonald http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html

For me, increasing protein and high intensity exercise help me control hunger. After that, I just have to default to suggestion number 9--Suck it up or be fat.
  • cnash1303
    Options
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just some things to try and help you out after a quick view at your diary. Increase fruits and vegatables. Also either your not drinking water or just not listing it. I do well if I limit carbs, eat protien, fruit and vegatables. Stay away from diet drinks, sweet n low, equal. These will make you feel like you are starving.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Eat at a 15 - 20% cut from your TDEE. This will give you ample deficit to lose. If you only have a little to lose eat a little below your TDEE every day. Eat above your BMR and under your TDEE. easy peasy.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    mix up the types of veggies and fruits your eating and the way your eating them (raw<--> steam, baked<----> broiled) find denser greens and veggies and make sure your hydrated (sometimes the hunger pangs are dehydration pangs:flowerforyou:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    whole grains, protein, and healthy fats make for a good, filling meal.
  • lulusmom
    Options
    You're confusing TDEE and BMR. BMR is the number of calories your body would need to exist in a coma. TDEE is BMR + daily activity. You deduct your weight loss goal from your TDEE number but not to the point of being below your BMR.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.
  • lulusmom
    Options
    Just some things to try and help you out after a quick view at your diary. Increase fruits and vegatables. Also either your not drinking water or just not listing it. I do well if I limit carbs, eat protien, fruit and vegatables. Stay away from diet drinks, sweet n low, equal. These will make you feel like you are starving.

Thanks for actually looking at my diary, to give suggestions! I drink copious amounts of water...I just don't log because it isn't an issue for me. I only drink water, tea or coffee...except for maybe 5 diet cokes a year when I'm working on a deadline (it's a weird association I can't kick lol). I think you are right that more veggies will help. I tried today, but I'm still munchy this afternoon.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I eat 1600 when I am not working out and have a maybe 200 calories more when I do workout.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Wrong thread