Exercise increasing calorie intake

Options
Today I have done a fair bit of exercise, just over an hours walk (at a brisk pace), 20 mins on exercise bike at 25 - 30 mph and then my daily sit ups.

MFP is saying I still need to eat 1000calories today because of this. I have had breakfast, lunch (quite a big lunch of around 500 cal) and then a couple of snacks. I was planning on a light tea because of lunch, but will be way under my calorie intake.

I want to loose weight properly, but I will most likely do this much exercise every day (walking dogs mainly) but feel like I will be over eating if I have that many more calories.

What should I do?

Replies

• kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When exercising I up my calorie intake from 1250 to about 1400 and then it doesn't complain. As long as you're taking in a minimum of 1200, it shouldn't complain.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Eat! I'm eating between 1800 and 2200 calories a day and still losing weight. Starving a body that's doing a lot of exercise every dayis a sure way to make yourself go on a binge.

I have a BodyMedia Fit so I can see my daily calorie burn and adjust my diet accordingly.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Exercise increase need for overall calories, essential fatty acids, protein, carbs, fibre, vitamins, minerals .... TBH tho most of that is just lifestyle activity not exercise unless you have walked over 10,000 steps? Ab work should not be done daily, same as any strength training you need rest days.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Today I have done a fair bit of exercise, just over an hours walk (at a brisk pace), 20 mins on exercise bike at 25 - 30 mph and then my daily sit ups.

MFP is saying I still need to eat 1000calories today because of this. I have had breakfast, lunch (quite a big lunch of around 500 cal) and then a couple of snacks. I was planning on a light tea because of lunch, but will be way under my calorie intake.

I want to loose weight properly, but I will most likely do this much exercise every day (walking dogs mainly) but feel like I will be over eating if I have that many more calories.

What should I do?

Don't worry about it today, as one low day isn't going to hurt, but just try to plan better in the future.

Personally I never liked the idea of 1200 calories on non workout days, and went with the TDEE - 20% method so that you can keep your calories constant all week and planning is easier.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

What should I do?

EAT THEM

that's how MFP works. It has already created a deficit for you based on your info, now once you exercise you get to eat those calories back. If you don't eat them back you create a deficit too big.
  • pouka89
    pouka89 Posts: 24
    Options
    I had a bigger tea than planned but couldn't eat anymore for the sake of it so I'm under today. I never thought eating enough calories would be a problem lol
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Eat something calorie-dense and nutritious that isn't that filling:
    1. Handful of nuts
    2. Avocado
    3. Peanut butter
    4. Cheese

etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Eat something calorie-dense and nutritious that isn't that filling:
    1. Handful of nuts
    2. Avocado
    3. Peanut butter
    4. Cheese

etc.

Ditto...if you're going to be exercising like that routinely and burning up 1,000 calories you're going to need some more calorie dense food in your diet.
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    Ive burnt about 1200 calories in exercise today.
    my usual calorie goal is 1300. but since I have burnt off so much today with exercise...
    ive eaten prob. 2400 calories today.
    most of my calories came in the form of nuts. its a fast way of getting calories.
  • pouka89
    pouka89 Posts: 24
    Options
    It just feels hard trying to diet but eating more than I did before lol! ! I want to really up my daily exercise too as I get fitter.