HELP!!! I'm scared to grocery shop!

Just got back from getting a few grocries didn't really get much on the count of I'm still kinda scared to buy certain foods. WHY?....Do you ask because I'm trying not to get stuck in a rut with buying the same old foods all the time and trying not to become such a health freak with the certain foods I buy. Let me elaborate a little more....I've been eating pretty healthy eating all of my greens and fruits, getting my fiber, protein, nutreints, vitamins, carbohydrates pretty much what I need to maintain a healthy diet. Now here's were I'm having problems the "Fats" what do I? I know how to shop healthy, but I don't know how to fit in the things I want. Like rewarding myself every now and then with a piece of chocolate or having a piece of fried chicken or even a small bag of chips. I know it's okay to have those things every once in awhlie, but I can't do it without feeling guilty if I had it. Can someone please share some ideas on how I can over come my fear of "Fats" a.k.a "Bad Food."

I wasn't really meaning fat is bad for you, I was referring more to the foods that pack on weight like pizza, fried foods etc. Sorry if that through anyone for a min. It's just that I heard sereval people even fitness trainers say try not to diet and just healthy and it's okay to have the foods you want every now and then. Don't deprive yourself of everything you want.

Replies

• mossman2012
    mossman2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Nuts are a great way to get fats into your diet. Especially almonds, unsalted are the best or peanuts. We all get those cravings and should allow ourselves their pleasure sometimes but do it after a day that you have done a lot of exercise or as an end of the week reward. Works for me!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    I just don't buy the crap foods I don't need them. We can live without them.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    what's wrong with the fats again?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    If you can eat those foods and not get cravings why not stop at the gas station for one small bag of chips or buy a single candy bar in the checkout aisle? Then it's not in the house to risk calling your name at four a.m. and you still get your treat. It's more expensive that way, sure, but not too awful.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Maybe if you try eating some avocados, nuts, full fat dairy... yogurt, milk, cheese... nut butters, etc. Those things aren't junk food and they contain fat. Also, salmon.

Your body and brain need fat. It is a necessity.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Everyone needs fats in their diet. There are good fats and bad fats. Learn the difference, then shop without fear.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    I allow myself to put one treat in the grocery basket a week-- cookies or ice cream or something else. One. If I finish it in the first day (and that's fun to log, right?) then that's it for the week. I'm trying to teach myself moderation. Two oreos a day is fine. That's life. I can learn to enjoy an oreo or two without trying to eat an entire sleeve and not really tasting it.

At least, that's how I look at it! Best of luck on your WLJ!
  • I shop as much as possible around the perimeter of the store (produce, deli, dairy, etc). It's the center aisles that are full of fatty processed foods.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Fats do not make you fat. Sugar in all it's many hidden forms make you fat. In fact, studies show that most fats are actually healthy and have many good benefits. And chocolate, if dark, like 70% or more, is healthy if eaten in moderation. I eat one square daily. Sometimes two. It has many benefits. But if you buy as few items in boxes and cartons and mostly produce and natural items as they come from nature, you will be safe.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Fit it into your diet and don't worry about it. Just stay under your calories and watch your macros.

Check out my diary if you want to see an example. I eat what I like.
  • I wasn't really meaning fat is bad for you, I was referring more to the foods that pack on weight like pizza, fried foods etc. Sorry if that through you for a min.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    I don't think it's fear, I think you're experiencing a healthy "wariness." And that's good.

Personally, I don't buy foods that "I like too much." Why put that pressure on myself? Seriously, if you want want a small bag of chips as an indulgence one day: get in the car (or walk!) and buy that one small bag. It will get you to think if you *really* want it or not. That's my trick. And no, I don't have all sorts of disposable time, either. :)

I do keep some dark chocolate in the house but it's in a closed container, up on a high shelf in the pantry, out of sight. If it was sitting on the counter I'd want to "have just one" on a daily basis.

The bottom line is, if it's not in the house you can't have a moment of weakness and overindulge.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,364 Member
    If you can eat those foods and not get cravings why not stop at the gas station for one small bag of chips or buy a single candy bar in the checkout aisle? Then it's not in the house to risk calling your name at four a.m. and you still get your treat. It's more expensive that way, sure, but not too awful.

Original Poster, I think in this post you're wondering about treat items, not what kind of fats are okay to eat...so I'm going to go with that assumption and agree with the advice quoted above. Not having it in the house at all is safest.
    What I like to do is to think about something that isn't just good, but GREAT. Something you love that is a real treat. Go to a restaurant, or wherever that item is, and get 1. Candy bar and chips are okay, but isn't there something that you like more? A once a month splurge on something that is truly divine is the way I like to go! (of course if chips are your thing, then they are your thing!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    The way I was able to lose my weight was by eating 45% of my calories from fat. I've maintained for five years. Lack of fat causes lots of problems.

My macros are set at 45%Fat/ 25%Protein/ 30%Carbs

In my opinion, fat-free stuff is part of our obesity problem in the U.S. We need fats. If we don't get them in our diet, we are storing fat - our body knows it is lacking a major nutrient. What we don't need is excessive carbohydrates. I'm on 1800 cals a day, 45% from fat. I get most of it from avocado, butter, cheese, eggs, milk, yogurt, coconut oil and almonds (or other raw nuts.)

Eat your fats! They will leave you satisfied, and your hair, nails, and skin will be much happier (as will the rest of your organs).

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    It sounds like you're talking about junk good, not just fats. I sometimes set a goal for myself and the reward is a guilt free junk food. Examples: staying within calorie goals for Monday through Friday, hitting my iron goal without a supplement or working out on a day I really don't feel like it. Make sure it still stays in your calorie goals and don't sweat it. Most of us can't or don't want to eat 100% healthy and that's fine...try not to obsess.
  • I know the feeling I despise going past the bakery or chip aisle. But here is the good news ... if you feel a deep craving for these foods (some of us have built a dependency as comfort foods) Try popcorn chicken instead of a fried chicken breast (you will think you are eating more and intake less) A small bag of chips now and then is ok (I have to get two servings out of a large bag set aside in sandwich bags because if I don't I will keep eating). Buy an ice cream sandwich instead of a gallon... I learned if you deny ALL treats one day you will break down pig out and it will be much worse then one little treat here and there.

Also some have said sub foods ... this works sometimes I know when I crave sweets sometimes a yogurt w/ a splash of honey will help. Just find what works for you Good luck
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Fats do not make you fat. Sugar in all it's many hidden forms make you fat.

Sugar doesn't make you fat either. An excess of calories above your daily needs is what makes you fat.
  • Shop the perimeter of the store. I have lost a lot of weight and the only way i have found not to binge or overeat certain foods (a.k.a. sweets and chocolate) I have to have some sort of treat after dinner. For example, some chocolate, a little cereal, or a cookie. Also, if you eat the healthy fats with every meal and realize you do not gain weight, but in fact, might lose some because you will be fuller and eat less later, you might be willing to give "junk food" a try (in moderation!!!). dont become afraid of food because that can turn into a bad thing fast! take it from someone with a recovering ed.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Just got back from getting a few grocries didn't really get much on the count of I'm still kinda scared to buy certain foods. WHY?....Do you ask because I'm trying not to get stuck in a rut with buying the same old foods all the time and trying not to become such a health freak with the certain foods I buy. Let me elaborate a little more....I've been eating pretty healthy eating all of my greens and fruits, getting my fiber, protein, nutreints, vitamins, carbohydrates pretty much what I need to maintain a healthy diet. Now here's were I'm having problems the "Fats" what do I? I know how to shop healthy, but I don't know how to fit in the things I want. Like rewarding myself every now and then with a piece of chocolate or having a piece of fried chicken or even a small bag of chips. I know it's okay to have those things every once in awhlie, but I can't do it without feeling guilty if I had it. Can someone please share some ideas on how I can over come my fear of "Fats" a.k.a "Bad Food."

You are setting yourself up for failure if you deprive yourself of the "bad" foods. You just have to learn to eat them in moderation is all. It is hard I understand that but if you truly wanna change your life you need to learn to balance it all out.

Don't think your going to be perfect from go... You will ave good days and. Bad days till you figure it out... That is what matters that you learn and move on to the net day. GOOD LUCK,