training for ultra marathon

Options
doing a 50K (which falls into the category of "ultra" marathon) on march 9th...
told myself i was going to wait until after my may marathon (26.2) to begin training on a higher mileage run...
but i signed up for the DANCES WITH DIRT/GREEN SWAMP run in Dade City Florida on March 9th ... long story

anyway....any tips? any experience out there???

anything would be appreciated.

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Got no tips other than good luck! I am training for another marathon on march 17th. Been eyeing a 50 k but havnt done anything about it yet.. maybe one day?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!

Ultra Marathons/Triathlons are my goal!

They appeal to me, for some reason.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the staple of training for the ultra distances is back to back long runs. You might not do any run over 20-22, but you might do them back to back.

Good luck on this journey. 26.2 is far enough for me. Maybe after I've run an Olympic Qualifying time I'll think about doing an ultra. :happy:
  • Granada88
    Granada88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Same here. But, I wish you the best of luck. Y'all inspire me!
  • hummus40
    Options
    i will keep u all posted!! :)
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    you are my hero! I find my marathons crazy enough! Am interested in learning about your experiences as you head to this goal- add me if you need extras in your cheering section!
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I have no experience as I am just hoping to make it 26.2 miles one of these days, but love hearing the stories of ultra marathoners. I have a lot of respect for that kind of ambition!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I don't know what I can really add but I have my first one next weekend. Honestly, I've been following the same program I've used for my marathon training... I looked at 50k training plans and even just the novice programs are at a mileage that is lower than my regular mileage. I ran a full in December and used that as a training run... plus I've added a few trail runs as my ultra is also a trail race.

I have no goals for this ultra except to finish, take it easy, and treat it like a looong training run/hike. I know I'll be walking a bit of it (because of the terrain).

Again, good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of marathons and exactly one 50K. While 50K is technically considered an ultra, it really is just a marathon on steroids (from a training and racing standpoint). The 50 mile distance is the big jump to ultra.

I used a marathon (or two) as my long runs for the 50K. I would schedule a marathon (or a 25-26 mile) long run two - three weeks before the 50K.

My $.02 - not the best idea for someone who is not already running marathons.
  • hummus40
    Options
    i have run two marathons in the last year...one 26.2 and one 13.1 (half)...my next 26.2 is the flying pig in may ..

so this 50K is something that i will need increase length of run with back to backs for endurance.... as Carson stated...

i am excited although i didn't realize until AFTER i signed up for the Green Swamp that this was more of a wooded, hill and mud RUN...

oh well....more will be revealed.
    its the journey not the destination

will keep u all updated as to progress ::)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Cool - glad to see you have a full marathon under your belt already. Hopefully you recovered well from the race.

Good luck and have fun!
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Thats amazing! good luck :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the staple of training for the ultra distances is back to back long runs. You might not do any run over 20-22, but you might do them back to back.
    Bingo! Long run Saturday AND Sunday once or twice a month, along with overall increased mileage.
    I have also had some luck doing a heavy weight workout (squats, deadlifts) followed by a long or medium-distance run to simulate the muscle fatigue at the end of an ultra.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Very impressive! Keep us updated!
  • hummus40
    Options
    Bingo! Long run Saturday AND Sunday once or twice a month, along with overall increased mileage.
    I have also had some luck doing a heavy weight workout (squats, deadlifts) followed by a long or medium-distance run to simulate the muscle fatigue at the end of an ultra.

this is awesome advice and it makes sense so I WILL REMEMBER IT :)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of marathons and exactly one 50K. While 50K is technically considered an ultra, it really is just a marathon on steroids (from a training and racing standpoint).

If the 50k is on road then yeah, it's only 5 miles more than a marathon. Big deal. But around my neck of the woods, a 50k is usually run on trails and that can easily mean 5,000-8,000 feet of elevation ascent/descent. I can do a road marathon in my sleep but I have yet to toe the line on a 50k that doesn't scare me a little and sometimes a lot.

To the OP, find out what kind of terrain you are dealing with and train in similar conditions. Is it hilly? Nice wide fire roads? Gnarly single track? Is it road? Etc.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 3rd Goofy Challenge next weekend (Sat. Half Marathon and Sun. Full Marathon). I follow Jeff Galloway's training schedule on Run Disney's website for my running schedule. Not an Ultra race but 39.3 miles in 2 days is till a lot of miles.
  • hummus40
    Options
    I've done a bunch of marathons and exactly one 50K. While 50K is technically considered an ultra, it really is just a marathon on steroids (from a training and racing standpoint).

If the 50k is on road then yeah, it's only 5 miles more than a marathon. Big deal. But around my neck of the woods, a 50k is usually run on trails and that can easily mean 5,000-8,000 feet of elevation ascent/descent. I can do a road marathon in my sleep but I have yet to toe the line on a 50k that doesn't scare me a little and sometimes a lot.

To the OP, find out what kind of terrain you are dealing with and train in similar conditions. Is it hilly? Nice wide fire roads? Gnarly single track? Is it road? Etc.

this is not a road race by any means..that having been said i didnt realize that when i registered...it is in a swamp..hills, forest...mud...etc. i registered for it over a month ago and then realilze the details but now i am excited. i put up this post to see if anyone out there had any experience with a race like this or any advice :)
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 50k as well. It is the Crazy Desert run in San Angelo Texas also on March 9. Friend me if you want someone to talk to about it. I know my friends will be really tired hearing about it long before I am finished talking.

I am just continuing with my Marathon training group - schedule lines up pretty well. We have our long runs on Saturday and then I am doing a 5+ extra miles on trails on Sunday - I became one with the trail today when I tripped over a root. Luckily fell on hard pack dirt and not rocks!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

this is not a road race by any means..that having been said i didnt realize that when i registered...it is in a swamp..hills, forest...mud...etc. i registered for it over a month ago and then realilze the details but now i am excited. i put up this post to see if anyone out there had any experience with a race like this or any advice :)

Also, it's in Florida in the middle of March ('t'will be humid...not as bad as mid-May though). I'm thinking of doing it, but it's different than any kind of race I've ever done. If you are familiar with state parks in Florida and the Everglades, think springy ground, often with pit-holes filled with water but covered with green looking solid stuff, lots of tree roots to watch out for, Spanish moss hanging from trees, etc. From my understanding, back-to back long runs are key to training, but since 50K is not that much more than a marathon, I think it's doable. My personal problem is that I want to do the 50-miler, just because it's being offered. Probably shouldn't though...