Calories and Exercise... Part Deux

Options
I know there have been several threads on this subject, but I wanted to ask another question. My original question was do I eat the calories I burn during exercise. The general opinion was yes. Ok. So, just to tack on to that... here is a typical look at my exercise; around 9 am I go for a 45-60 minute walk (about 5km) pushing a stoller at about a 4.0 mph pace, burning around 350 calories (HRM). During the kids nap time, around 2 or so in the afternoon, I then do either Wii Biggest Loser (which is Kick butt) or some body-weight strength training combine with cardio moves like Jumping jacks, skaters, jumprope, etc for about 45 mintues, burning another approx. 250 calories. Then in the evening, after work, depending on the day I either do my C25K training which burns roughly 230 calories, or I hit the eliptical for an hour and burn about 500 calories. So, on at least 5 days a week I am burning around 800-1000 calories extra. Am I really suppose to be eating an extra 1000 calories?! It makes sense to eat back your calories when you are burning up to, say, 500 a day. But .... I don't know, it just seems like a lot of calories... ?????

Replies

• Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Oh, and please look at my food diary if you like to offer suggestions. I am trying to eat enough food, but don't want to go over either! Thanks!
  • Cheryl89
    Cheryl89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have to eat the first 1200 calories to gain the nutrients you need to keep your body working. By burning the calories back off your not burning away the nutrition just the fat. I try to keep as many of my exercise calories as I can but I always end up eating most of them cos I get bored late in the evening. I don't see any wrong in burning off a little extra and as long as you feel healthy with the amount of eating V exercise then it should be fine.
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories, I have usually around 250 left over. my weightloss has been a kilo a month but I only exercise for around 30 min. don't know if this helps but what I do is just listen to my body, I eat about every 3 hours so I am never hungary and feel pretty good,
    goodluck
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So this is a good question, and it's not a simple yes or no answer. It really depends on a lot of things.

I'll try to break it down for you.

First thing to remember about exercise calories is (and this is MEGA important) you're going to get a lot of confusing advice about exercise calories. The thing to understand is that most people (unlike myself who's coming at this from a neutral, personal trainer perspective) are going to give you what worked for them. And that's great, but it's anecdotal and not very useful to you as you aren't in THEIR situation. So if someone starts their answer with "I didn't" or "What I did was..." or "when I first started I..." Be cautious. I'm not saying don't listen, but just be aware that they are giving your their own experience, which may or may not fit with your situation. It's great to share your experience with someone, but unless they are in a VERY similar situation, applying your technique to fix someone else's situation isn't really that helpful. It's like one person having a broken down car on the side of the road and someone else coming up to them and saying, "when my car broke down, I replaced the flat tire, and then it was fine." Well this is great if a flat tire is the issue, but what if it's a broken fuel pump? See my point? I'm not trying to be a bummer to everyone offering up their situations, that's not my point, my point is, what works for one person, doesn't really work for everyone else.

That said, I'm looking at your profile Bleux, and I can give you the following points to take into account.

1) you have about 25 lbs to lose, that's not a giant amount, so you probably don't have a really high available body fat amount to draw from.
    See, the reason why some people can get away with not eating their exercise calories and still safely lose weight is two fold. Firstly, they probably are obese and have a high percentage of readily available body fat to draw from, when this is the case, the body won't immediately recognize the extreme deficit and simply will draw energy from the available fat (after all that's what it's there for). And Second, genetically, some people are predisposed to more easily burn body fat, this contributes to the first part, limiting the body's exposure to extreme deficits.
    2) Once you start losing weight, or if your available body fat isn't extremely high to begin with, your body just can't pull enough fat fast enough from your fat stores to compensate for massive calorie deficits that not eating exercise calories will create. This means that over the course of days or weeks, your body will start to recognize a deficit, and will start to slow down metabolic processes. And that huge deficit you thought you had is no longer huge. Also the body (in conjunction with slowing down your metabolism) will start to canabalize available muscle and bone energy (protein), this makes you weaker and actually can CONTRIBUTE to a higher body fat %.

In your situation, I would recommend starting out eating all of your exercise calories, and spreading them out over the course of the day. Here's the thing, you don't NEED to do 1000 calories a day of exercise, that's over and above, and can very easily lead to burn out if you aren't careful. Exercising 3 times a day is a lot, it's more than I do and I'm a trainer, so don't feel like that's the only way to do this. Heck when I was losing my 55 lbs, I did it by exercising 40 minutes a day, burning 300 to 600 calories a day. THE MAIN CONCEPT IS EATING RIGHT!!!!!!! I can't state this enough, exercise is NOT how you will lose the weight, it's eating correctly that will do it. Exercise is a catalyst and will help, but it's all for naught if you don't eat correctly. Focus on changing how you eat and you will lose the weight!
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss for you reply. I realize that everyone is different and I was just hoping for some general idea what people thing... hoping that someone like yourself who is more knowlegable would have some more educated advice. That said, I realize I don't have a lot to loose. My problem comes from the fact that I have been struggling with these 20 or so pounds for the last few years and cannot seem to get rid of them. I thought perhaps it is because I am not eating enough, since I know that is just as important as eating too much. My body fat percentage is at 29%. I would love to get to the lower 20s... where I was about 10 years ago. I have tried changing my workout routines, doing classes, rotating through the different cardio equipment and nothing seems to do much good. I am not as concered about the number on the scale, it is more the BF I want down. As for all the extra workouts, I know I don't need to do them. But I enjoy my walks in the morning, it is more something to vary the day with rather than sitting at home with the kids all the time. And I like to get my sweat on in the evening, hence the 1-2 hours in the gym. Nap time workouts are more if I have nothing else to do, it keeps me from sitting in front of the telly snacking! Thanks again for your advice!!! I'll see how it goes. I have only been at THIS for a couple weeks and I know it will take 3-4 for my body to adjust and get use to having more food to burn from and hopefully it will start giving up some of the stored fat.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

In your situation, I would recommend starting out eating all of your exercise calories, and spreading them out over the course of the day. Here's the thing, you don't NEED to do 1000 calories a day of exercise, that's over and above, and can very easily lead to burn out if you aren't careful. Exercising 3 times a day is a lot, it's more than I do and I'm a trainer, so don't feel like that's the only way to do this. Heck when I was losing my 55 lbs, I did it by exercising 40 minutes a day, burning 300 to 600 calories a day. THE MAIN CONCEPT IS EATING RIGHT!!!!!!! I can't state this enough, exercise is NOT how you will lose the weight, it's eating correctly that will do it. Exercise is a catalyst and will help, but it's all for naught if you don't eat correctly. Focus on changing how you eat and you will lose the weight!

Another really good post, I'm only quoting this paragraph because this is what I was wondering about. Can a person over exercise? I see people spending hours working out and wonder if it really is practical, can they maintain that long term. At some point when they cut out some of those workouts will they gain weight. I stay in the 30-45 min range for daily workouts and that seems like something I can live with.

With that, I think changing how and what I eat has been the biggest part of being able to maintain my weight. I like pasta so I knew I was not going to never eat it again. But I learned what a portion was and it was not the two bowls I use to eat. After training myself I'm now satisfied with a normal portion.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    So this is a good question, and it's not a simple yes or no answer. It really depends on a lot of things.

I'll try to break it down for you.

First thing to remember about exercise calories is (and this is MEGA important) you're going to get a lot of confusing advice about exercise calories. The thing to understand is that most people (unlike myself who's coming at this from a neutral, personal trainer perspective) are going to give you what worked for them. And that's great, but it's anecdotal and not very useful to you as you aren't in THEIR situation. So if someone starts their answer with "I didn't" or "What I did was..." or "when I first started I..." Be cautious. I'm not saying don't listen, but just be aware that they are giving your their own experience, which may or may not fit with your situation. It's great to share your experience with someone, but unless they are in a VERY similar situation, applying your technique to fix someone else's situation isn't really that helpful. It's like one person having a broken down car on the side of the road and someone else coming up to them and saying, "when my car broke down, I replaced the flat tire, and then it was fine." Well this is great if a flat tire is the issue, but what if it's a broken fuel pump? See my point? I'm not trying to be a bummer to everyone offering up their situations, that's not my point, my point is, what works for one person, doesn't really work for everyone else.

That said, I'm looking at your profile Bleux, and I can give you the following points to take into account.

1) you have about 25 lbs to lose, that's not a giant amount, so you probably don't have a really high available body fat amount to draw from.
    See, the reason why some people can get away with not eating their exercise calories and still safely lose weight is two fold. Firstly, they probably are obese and have a high percentage of readily available body fat to draw from, when this is the case, the body won't immediately recognize the extreme deficit and simply will draw energy from the available fat (after all that's what it's there for). And Second, genetically, some people are predisposed to more easily burn body fat, this contributes to the first part, limiting the body's exposure to extreme deficits.
    2) Once you start losing weight, or if your available body fat isn't extremely high to begin with, your body just can't pull enough fat fast enough from your fat stores to compensate for massive calorie deficits that not eating exercise calories will create. This means that over the course of days or weeks, your body will start to recognize a deficit, and will start to slow down metabolic processes. And that huge deficit you thought you had is no longer huge. Also the body (in conjunction with slowing down your metabolism) will start to canabalize available muscle and bone energy (protein), this makes you weaker and actually can CONTRIBUTE to a higher body fat %.

Thank you for Posting this this Morning,
    I really needed to read it all - especially the last part ! This journey has been so complicated! First my diet was very much under control and the exercise was not. Now that I stopped smoking, I exercise like a bandit (mostly out of fear) and my diet is a train wreck! Thanks for the words of wisdom to help me get back on track. All of my exercise is moot if I'm not eating right!

Thanks Again,
    Janet
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Another really good post, I'm only quoting this paragraph because this is what I was wondering about. Can a person over exercise? I see people spending hours working out and wonder if it really is practical, can they maintain that long term. At some point when they cut out some of those workouts will they gain weight. I stay in the 30-45 min range for daily workouts and that seems like something I can live with.

With that, I think changing how and what I eat has been the biggest part of being able to maintain my weight. I like pasta so I knew I was not going to never eat it again. But I learned what a portion was and it was not the two bowls I use to eat. After training myself I'm now satisfied with a normal portion.

Overtraining is a real problem that happens all the time to people. The thing is, it's impossible to glance at someone's workout schedule and say "you're overtraining!" It's a very personal thing, some people's bodies can handle more than others, it's all about paying attention to your body, if you feel aches and pains a lot, or if you feel run down, or if you're becoming anemic, or if you can no longer make significant performance gains, then you're probably overtraining and should slow down, or at least change up the routine a bit.

This doesn't necessarily mean you have to shorten your workout though, maybe just reducing the intensity by a few percent is enough, or changing from 3 days of weight training to 2 days of weight training...etc. Overtraining can be remedied in a number of different ways.