40 something and trying not to give up on losing weight!

Options
<sigh> ok here I go...AGAIN! Seems like I am living the movie Groundhog Day except the same thing happens year after year instead of day after day. Each year I tell myself THIS IS MY YEAR! I WILL LOSE WEIGHT (and boyyyy do I have a lot to lose!) and well, I dont need to tell you how that ends because here I am :(
I somehow found this sight (honestly I am not sure how...maybe thats a sign that this time it will work since I was brought here?) and it seems easy enough. The hard part is staying motivated and on track. Any advice?

Replies

• ursus_maritimus
    Options
    Hey cara :) I am new here too, but like you I have been on this roller coaster for a while. Here's my only advice: don't beat yourself up when you get off track, but do take the attitude that tomorrow is another day or dinner is another meal or whatever. Break it down into manageable pieces. If you fall off the wagon for breakfast, suck it up and eat a healthy lunch. If you had a totally blown day yesterday, get up today and do your best to be healthy today.

Bottom line is you will fall off track, success in this endeavour is defined by how we do at getting back on when we do. I fell off track for 10 years and am just getting on again now... apparently I am a slow learner :D
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    Hey! thanks for the advice! Great advice and perfect timing I might add! I did real good this week...until today :( Today I had a burrito for lunch then Apple Jacks cereal for dinner and a few hershey kisses for dessert. I stink at this! But I will take your advise and remind myself "tomorrow is another day!" thank you again!
  • elizcarman
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is a great site with many supportive people. The community section is good too for asking questions and getting different perspectives about what works for people on this journey and what doesn't work. The success stories section is very inspirational and the recipes section has given me some ideas. I haven't found anyone who is trying to get healthly for the first time. Everyone has tried before. I too, am hoping this time I will be a success. You are welcome to add me as a friend. Open your food diary up so that your MFP friends can look at it if you want advice or comments. I hope you will take advantage of everything this site offers. Good Luck!! Liz:flowerforyou:
  • elsiesnow
    elsiesnow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and just joined the site myself. I got a Fitbit One right before New Year's and am using that every day to track my steps. I thought I was a lot more active than I really was! It's been an eye-opener and it's giving me incentive to stay on track. I made a New Year's resolution to track all my food and that's how I found this site. It's got such an extensive food database it makes it really easy. Now, when I want to eat something, it makes me pause when I think about recording it :P
    Friend me and I'll be part of your cheer team!
  • ursus_maritimus
    Options
    Yay me for the great timing. I think a lot of us suffer from "all or nothing" thinking. Today I got up and fought with myself not to go through McDonald's drive-thru for a Sausage Egg McMuffin meal.... luckily the good me won the battle. Then when I got to the office, one of my staff brought in a box of donuts for a meeting :S. My resolve prevailed again... but it was not easy... bottom line for me is I am going to make one decision at a time. If I make a poor one, I am going to try my best to make the next one a good one :)

If you get stuck, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll give you moral support or a kick in the pants if that's what you need. :P
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for a little while (2 years this March I think). What helped me was logging my food everyday, and having a sense of humor and tolerance about myself and other people.

Get in the habit of looking at the "success" threads on the forums; I have found that looking at the before/after pictures keeps me motivated and positive.
  • cara523
    Options
    well one thing I did learn...when staff brings "goodies" to work, as they often do...I lock myself in my office until the goodies are all gone! Seems to work :)
    Thank you! I need all the moral support I can get and as I always like to look on the bright side of things...I guess thats one good reason to have extra weight...the kick inthe pants wont hurt so much! hahaha
  • cara523
    Options
    thank you for the advice! I havent logged my food before and maybe thats where I am failing. Many sucess stories I read say that is what they do! Going to give it a try this time. Thank you again!
  • cara523
    Options
    Liz and Elsiesnow, thank you! I think i added you as a friend, not sure because this is all new to me! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    It takes practice.

Ever see a toddler learning to walk? Many many falls.

It's not easy to learn this stuff; there's a learning curve, and there are a lot of roadblocks. Just keep plugging away at it. Don't beat yourself up, celebrate every little success - and don't reward yourself with food - ever.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Like the above poster said, don't let a small set back ruin your progress. Just get back on track the next day. Eventually it will be second nature. Make yourself a priority and you will succeed!! One day at a time and one step at a time.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! And welcome to the journey to a new you. I have been on here for over year and have lost quite a bit. My advice to you is keep logging in, don't be too hard on yourself, and find some very supportive peeps! You can DO IT!!! It is never too late to get moving. Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    And you HAVE to log your food. All of it, every day, for as long as it takes. After you do it for a while, you will be able to log the entire day's food in less than 10 minutes.
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Like one of the posters stated, the success stories are great for inspiration and motivation but you should get a good line of support by finding friends on here that will help you along in your journey. Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 44 and have been on here since the end of August. Being on this site has really helped me to really make a good go on changing my mindset when it comes to losing weight. I now see it as living well and looking after my health. By doing that I am now doing regular exercise (martial arts, jogging, weights) and really enjoying it. I haven't lost much weight but my body composition has changed greatly. I have been fortunate enough to have friends on here who are like-minded and very encouraging and we all want the same things. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been on for almost a year, and I'm almost at my goal. Remember, there will be times when you won't exercise, and there will be times you eat more than you should. But that is not the end. It may take a while to figure out what calorie deficit works for you as well. Don't give up. Read the "success" threads. Find friends who are just starting out, as well as those who've been successful. Supportive friends can make all the difference.

I wish you all the best!
  • cara523
    Options
    wow! overwhelmed by so many responses in such a short time! And all by posting my one and only message! Looks like I found a home here at "mfp" and looking forward to the journey! Thank you everyone and best of luck on your journey as well and congratulations to those that completed theirs! :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi-I'm 44 and don't see age as a reason to give up at all. In fact I was chubbier when I was younger.
    It's about educating yourself, it's been said it's 80% diet 20% workout.
    So start learning and trying out different styles of eating and see if you notice any improvement.
    Good Luck!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No point in giving up! it's totally doable. Just takes patience and focus. It actually seems a little easier than it used to, since I know myself better than I did when I was younger. Lost about 20 lbs. last year, still trying to lose a few more.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Take it day by day, or even moment by moment if you have to. Before you know it, time will have flown by and those moments/days will have added up to SUCCESS.