HELP. I hate veggies.

Options
I am a picky eater and I hate veggies. I hate, hate, hate them! I will, on occasion, choke down a salad made of lettuce (not iceberg if I can get something else. Usually a blend with butter lettuce, radicchio, and romaine), cucumber, and mushroom, because those are the only veggies I can actually manage to get down my throat. Maybe small amounts of the little shredded carrots, but carrot is pushing it. No dressings because they're all made with vinegar and/or mayo, which I hate. I have been known to go on a kick where I will eat some steamed cauliflower or green beans or veg medley or something. The most I enjoy veggies is in spaghetti sauce. No onions. No carrots. No celery. Just a sh*tton of mushrooms. God, do I love mushrooms in spaghetti sauce. White, brown, whatever. Chop it fine and throw it in a sauce, I'll eat it and like it. But I can't eat spaghetti at every meal, and I suspect that mushrooms alone are not going to fill the gaping holes in my nutrition.

But honestly? My veg repertoire that I actually enjoy is limited to starchy veg like corn and potatoes.

A little background here: I have autism, and trying new foods is very difficult for me. I never ate veg as a child. My parents gave up on getting it down my throat because I would gag and cry, and they assumed I would grow out of it. For the most part, I have not. I've tried a lot of veg, but I just hate it. For a long time, I gave up myself and figured if I just popped a multivitamin, I'd be fine.
But now, I want to eat more healthily. I'm not concerned about losing weight. I'm actually trying to maintain or gain a little. But I can't go on not eating vegetables.

Please lend me your ideas - whether that's for hiding veg in foods, ways to prepare them that make them not taste like sticking my face in a lawn-mower bag, or anything else that's helpful.

(Note, just don't even suggest any kind of onion. That's the one I just can't stomach at all.)

ETA: I'm also rather adverse to the idea of veg in a cheese sauce. If I'm going to eat mass quantities of cheese, I'm not going to waste it on veggies - it's going to be on delicious mac and cheese

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    mash up caulflower and eat it like mashed potatotes. you could also try to throw some spinach in a fruit smoothie (you won't taste it, i promise). have to tried asparagus? that can be yummy cooked in olive oil w/ parmesan cheese.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    mash up caulflower and eat it like mashed potatotes.

mashed cauli -- one of my faves!
  • MarJay12
    Options
    I make a sort of sloppy joe using ground turkey breast. Grind up green and red pepoer, celery and any other veggie you want to add. Cook it down with tomato sauce and tomato paste. Add ground red pepper to taste and salt. i like a little garlic too. Serve with low fat cheese on whole wheat bun.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Okay so clearly you're picky with veggies, but many people are.

For salads, have you tried a fresh spinach base instead of the lettuce. Fresh spinach is so much better for you anyway and tastes good with non-veggies in the salad, like dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc.. ), feta, etc..

If you do do a lettuce salad, try making your own dressing. I don't use any bottled dressing. The simplest dressing would probably be a mix of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. You can add things like dried mint or parsley to it as well. If you google homemade dressing, you'll find tons of recipes and can pick and choose what you like.

Also, I never eat salad as a meal. Your meal should be 50% veggies (let's say a salad) and then a quarter protein (let's say a steak) and then a quarter carbs (let's say mashed potatoes).

Another option is soups. If you don't like chopped boiled veggies, then blend it! I make a lentil soup that's 1 cup lentils, 1/2 a big carrot, 1 small potato, 1 white onion and 1 peeled squash. Boil the (red) lentils, and then add the chopped carrot, potato, onion and squash -- you won't taste any of them. After they're in the water for a bit, they get soft. Throw them in the blender, till it's all pureed, and then back into the pot (or use a hand blender if you have one). Add salt to taste, boil them another two times. Rest and then pour in a bowl for a yummy lentil soup. You can also probably find lots of soup ideas if you look. If you want to drop the onion, you can.

Next, try baking, things like asparagus with salt, cheese, olive oil drizzled... in the oven till soft.

Other ideas, I made a veggie lasagna yesterday. You can also add protein to this if you want the taste of beef or chicken.

There are tons of ideas.. hopefully you'll get more, but you have to be committed to making veggies (and fruits!) a part of your diet.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    mash up caulflower and eat it like mashed potatotes. you could also try to throw some spinach in a fruit smoothie (you won't taste it, i promise). have to tried asparagus? that can be yummy cooked in olive oil w/ parmesan cheese.

That's a pretty good idea! I did some googling and found this recipe which uses half potatoes and half cauliflower. I think I'll try it next time I make mashed potatoes at home!

http://thechiclife.com/2011/06/sneaky-mashed-potatoes-with-a-hidden-cauliflower-serving.html
  • alibug2001
    alibug2001 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mash up caulflower and eat it like mashed potatotes.

mashed cauli -- one of my faves!

If I were you I'd go half mashed potato and half mashed cauliflower. That way it's more hidden. Heck do 3/4 and 1/4 and then adjust as you get used to that. If it's mashed well enough you can't really tell there's cauliflower in it!

Zucchini is a great vegetable to hide into burgers, meatloaf, breads, etc.

Make it a point to try 1 new vegetable a week -- try it 3 different ways. Steamed, roasted, grilled or some other way. You may be surprised. I hate grape tomatoes raw, but love them cooked in olive oil until they break open. Asparagus, I will only eat fresh and steamed. If they've been frozen -- forget about it. Just be willing to try. They may will probably grow on you, you can develop your tastebuds it just takes time.
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I bought a Ninja blender and add a cucumber and three stalks of celery to my protein drink. With added fruit, the vegetables aren't a noticeable taste, so It's been a great way for me to get more vegetables into my daily meals.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    Okay so clearly you're picky with veggies, but many people are.

For salads, have you tried a fresh spinach base instead of the lettuce. Fresh spinach is so much better for you anyway and tastes good with non-veggies in the salad, like dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc.. ), feta, etc..

If you do do a lettuce salad, try making your own dressing. I don't use any bottled dressing. The simplest dressing would probably be a mix of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. You can add things like dried mint or parsley to it as well. If you google homemade dressing, you'll find tons of recipes and can pick and choose what you like.

Also, I never eat salad as a meal. Your meal should be 50% veggies (let's say a salad) and then a quarter protein (let's say a steak) and then a quarter carbs (let's say mashed potatoes).

Another option is soups. If you don't like chopped boiled veggies, then blend it! I make a lentil soup that's 1 cup lentils, 1/2 a big carrot, 1 small potato, 1 white onion and 1 peeled squash. Boil the (red) lentils, and then add the chopped carrot, potato, onion and squash -- you won't taste any of them. After they're in the water for a bit, they get soft. Throw them in the blender, till it's all pureed, and then back into the pot (or use a hand blender if you have one). Add salt to taste, boil them another two times. Rest and then pour in a bowl for a yummy lentil soup. You can also probably find lots of soup ideas if you look. If you want to drop the onion, you can.

Next, try baking, things like asparagus with salt, cheese, olive oil drizzled... in the oven till soft.

Other ideas, I made a veggie lasagna yesterday. You can also add protein to this if you want the taste of beef or chicken.

There are tons of ideas.. hopefully you'll get more, but you have to be committed to making veggies (and fruits!) a part of your diet.

Some great ideas there, thanks! I don't have any problem with fruits - I love fruits. It's just veggies I have a problem with.
  • revzzz
    revzzz Posts: 8
    Options
    I second the cauliflower recommendation. When grated, it's probably the best alternative to rice for a low carb diet.

Google cauli-rice if you're interested.
  • Surreallia
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I hate the taste and texture of pretty well all vegetables. I have to add tonnes of dressing to my salads to be able to eat them.

I also have OAS, so raw fruits and veggies set my mouth and throat and lips on FIRE... This is very unfortunate seeing as how the most weight loss I would get is from these wonderful raw foods... =( Might try mashed cauliflower..... and the spinach in a smoothie thing looks great. Must carry some Benadryl around with me!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is very bland, and easy to hide. I've seen recipes where you make mac and cheese, but use half pasta and half cauliflower. I'm guessing you can't tell the difference. I also hide shredded carrots by the cupful in my spaghetti sauce and chili. Celery and peppers go in both those recipes as well. Put some butter and seasoning on any of them--the extra calories from the butter might be worth it if you can take the vegetable that way. Make it a goal to try one different vegetable periodically, and rotate them. You might like one all of a sudden.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Try roasted veggies. They taste slightly sweeter and have a different texture than other ways of preparing veggies. I could never stand cooked cauliflower at all until I was introduced to roasted. Same with Brussel Sprouts.

Only try one new thing a week. This will help you avoid being overwhelmed. If you like something, add it to your regular foods. If you don't like something, put it back in the rotation and try it again a few weeks later. No one knows why, but picky eaters often like things better the second time.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid if you really hate veggies the only thing you can do is man up and eat them, I'm afraid. A bit of ketchup might make it easier, or some oil if you want.
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hide them from yourself.

Take some pasta sauce (tomato) and blend it with some veggies like spinach, peppers, carrots, or pretty much whatever you want.

I found, for me, that hating fruits and veggies wasn't about taste, it was texture. When blended into the sauce, you can't distinguish it from the yummy sauce you already know.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I have a son who was tube fed for 2.5 years his nutrition due to medical issues. He developed a HUGE aversion to all food and we had to do feeding therapy.

Our Early Intervention O.T. recommended a book called Food Chaining. Best thing we ever started with him. It's for children with a severe aversion to ANY foods. It works great with autistic children and has a whole chapter dedicated to it.

FWIW at your age, it's very hard to change your eating habits. But, one thing that might help is dipping sauces. Find a sauce you really really like and you might be able to "stand" some of the veggies you don't currently like.

Over time, you may be able to put less and less on your food and then eat them with out any sauce.

As far as eating veggies in general and a feeding issue, they are pretty much the last food group for an orally averse person to accept. They are grainy sometimes, they are slimy other times, they smell unappealing sometimes.....for of them don't even look appetizing.

So, sauces would be my best thought as to how to get them "in" you without having to "hide" them in another food.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Juice them, then chug! Or add a drop of liquid stevia, then chug.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I just made vegetarian tacos with minced cauliflower and diced mushrooms - before you go yuck - my son who doesn't like mushrooms at all - not even the look of them, loved it. He didn't know mushrooms were in there! It was so good - I am going to make the combination again, but with different seasonings.

http://freezeyourwayfit.blogspot.com/2011/04/clean-eating-classic-vegetarin-tacos.html

I also agree with the roasted vegie idea - we love roasted cauliflower, asparagus, and brussel sprouts (with diced pancetta is even better if you have the room in your macros).

Good luck! You can be very proud of yourself for reaching out.
  • ellarainbow
    Options
    What worked quite well for me was adding a very small amount of a certain vegetable to a meal I did like, then putting it in my mouth with something else. If I keep doing that eventually it gets to the point where I'm happy to eat that vegetable without smothering it in other food. My taste buds just need educating so they can figure out that it's not the enemy.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There is a cookbook called Decptively Delicious that uses all kinds of hidden veggies. I puréed beets to make pink pancakes!
  • IFWittington
    Options
    Get some minced meat - say turkey or chicken.

Fry it up.

Then add couple of tins of tomato paste.. and chop up veggies into it.

Makes around 3 or 4 meals - depending on how much veg you put in.. And you wont be able to taste the veg.. trust me.

Low in cals, lots of protein and veg too..