Buy it in your size, or the size you want to be?

Options
So, i'm shopping today, and i see a beautiful swimming costume that looks like it came right from the catwalk.
Problem is, my body is the last thing to see coming from there.
So, i think, i don't want to buy it in my size, because i'll just look fat in it.
Do i buy it in the size i'm aiming to be? (a good 8 months away at least).
Or is that just a waste of money?
Another garment to add to my pile of clothes i've never been able to wear.
I feel motivated this time, but must have last time otherwise i wouldn't have brought anything in a smaller size.
What do you guys think? New clothes, this size or slim size?

x

Replies

• Well, will you wear it now? If you'll wear it now, then buy it in your size. If you won't wear it in the next month or two, don't buy it. Or if you think you'll be motivated enough to shrink into it, buy it in the smaller size, but that's never something I'd recommend.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Buy it in the size you want to be! That would be a motivation for you to fit into it. Good luck
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I only buy things in my own size from now on. I've bought something I really wanted in a size smaller as motivation in the past, but it had exactly the opposite effect. Every time I saw it, it was like a slap in my face. I'd get so depressed that I'd find myself in the kitchen grazing as self-comfort. Eventually I donated it.

I could probably wear it now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    With a swimsuit, I'd wait. You may not still like it in eight months, and swimsuits are important!

With that said, however, I started losing weight in August, and planned a trip to Florida in May. I had to lose the 55 pounds, or die trying (I did, by the way.) But I didn't buy a suit until February. . . and still had over 20 pounds to lose - so it didn't fit for a couple months. It's just that here in Washington State you can't buy swimsuits in December.
  • ByronJP
    ByronJP Posts: 67
    Options
    This is kinda funny, My father and i for the longest time were the same size and then i became a lot larger. He has a great taste in clothes and knows what i like to wear. This christmas he bought me some real nice clothes and i cant fit them and thats ultimately what made me want to start exercising again. I have tons of clothes i have ballooned out of in the past 2 years its sad.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hmm. My opinion - If you were only a couple weeks away, I'd say go for your goal size. But, this earlly on, I think you're setting yourself up for frustration or disappointment. Besides, haven't you ever tried on something that is supposed to be your size, but it didn't fit right? So you cannot know whether the swim suit will look good when you reach the size of that swim suit. I say wait. Then find the swim suit that is the IT swim suit for you. Patience will reward you. :)
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would get it in your goal size, and keep it somewhere where you will have to look at it every day as motivation to stay on track with eating and exercise.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Maybe half way between as a mini goal?
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So, i'm shopping today, and i see a beautiful swimming costume that looks like it came right from the catwalk.
    Problem is, my body is the last thing to see coming from there.
    So, i think, i don't want to buy it in my size, because i'll just look fat in it.
    Do i buy it in the size i'm aiming to be? (a good 8 months away at least).
    Or is that just a waste of money?
    Another garment to add to my pile of clothes i've never been able to wear.
    I feel motivated this time, but must have last time otherwise i wouldn't have brought anything in a smaller size.
    What do you guys think? New clothes, this size or slim size?

x

Is it on sale? lol . I bought a roxy bikini for $40.00 in a medium because it was on sale. I wont be able to fit into it for probably another year, but I have it tacked on my bedroom wall, motivation!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    With a swimsuit, I'd wait. You may not still like it in eight months, and swimsuits are important!

With that said, however, I started losing weight in August, and planned a trip to Florida in May. I had to lose the 55 pounds, or die trying (I did, by the way.) But I didn't buy a suit until February. . . and still had over 20 pounds to lose - so it didn't fit for a couple months. It's just that here in Washington State you can't buy swimsuits in December.

Agreed. You might like something more when you get to the size you want to be. I've actually done that before and succeeded, but then when it came time to wear it, I didn't want it anymore. :grumble:
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just from a strictly logical point of view, you have no idea what shape you're going to be when you finish and what size that'll translate to. 95lbs isn't going to come off evenly from all over. Say you buy a size small bikini. What if you lose most of your weight from the waist down? Then you have a bottom that fits and a top that won't, and you've wasted your money.

I'd rather just print the picture of the suit out and use the idea as motivation. Create a whole board of awesome bikinis you want, and when you finally reach your goal, or half way, or whatever you set for yourself, THEN spend the money.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    Maybe half way between as a mini goal?

I like this idea! :)
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I buy 1 size smaller but no smaller than that
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    In May 2011 I bought a bikini. I was 240 lbs and I bought the top in a L and bottoms in M. I hung it up on my closet door where I would see it every day and my goal was to wear it the summer of 2012. I ended up being in my 3rd trimester last summer so I could not wear it BUT it kept me motivated that year. I lost 75 lbs from 5/11 - 12/11

I'm back at that weight 4 months after giving birth and I still have the bikini which I used for my pre-Insanity pictures. It's still motivating me to fit into it or a smaller size (starting to look that way!) this summer.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have 3 bathing suits I bought in smaller sizes that I THOUGHT I would get into the last time I tried to lose weight, and didnt. However, I WILL get into them THIS time. I would buy the size you WILL be....and hang it on your bedroom door to keep you motivated. :)
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I read that you have several items that you have bought in the past and they are still laying in a pile to be worn, I can't help but feel that for you, you might find it frustrating and a slap in the face rather than motivating. Everyone is different, for some it would be motivating for others it would be frustrating. For me, it would be frustrating.
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I only buy things in my own size from now on. I've bought something I really wanted in a size smaller as motivation in the past, but it had exactly the opposite effect. Every time I saw it, it was like a slap in my face. I'd get so depressed that I'd find myself in the kitchen grazing as self-comfort. Eventually I donated it.

I could probably wear it now.

^^^^^^^^ This!
    This sounds exactly like me - I have a spare bedroom wardrobe full of clothes that used to fit me or I purchased in a smaller size for motivation or for when I reached my goal weight.....they always stayed out of reach :(
    I personally, buy things that fit me now and then when I hit my goal weight I will go on a massive shopping spree.
  • nancyaaa
    nancyaaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    buy it in the size you want to be!!!

Thats how I buy clothes all the time, I buy it in the size I think it will look good in. I'm now wearing clothes I bought a year ago, sure it took me a long time, but its totally worth it! A great feeling when you can finally wear it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for stuff like bathing suits i'd wait until i was goal weight. i'd wait on those type things because of my my chest and i honestly have NO idea what's going to happen with this when i'm at goal. same goes for certain types of dresses and tops.

BUT, i plan on buying a pair of size 6 jeans that i can try on from time to time to see my progress in relation to the size i want to be
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would find a picture of someone looking the way I hope to look, wearing something I would like to wear, and put that on my wall or fridge for motivation, not purchase an item of clothing hoping it will look the same on my new body as it did in my head. I have used an old piece of clothing that I want to have fit again serve as a reminder of what my goal is. Those are fun when they fit!