I just don't get it.

Options
2»

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    TY everyone. I thought I was doing it wrong. Maybe now I will finally lose some weight.

If you've not been eating your workout calories back, you may gain initially by eating a little more. DO NOT be alarmed by this. Just push through it, and it will come off. Often, after long periods of undereating, the minute you eat more, you put on water weight. This is NOT fat weight. Just don't get alarmed by this and keep making sure you're eating those exercise calories back. Your body needs fuel to function. Don't starve yourself.

Also, your diary is severely lacking in nutritious food. Try eating more fruit, vegetables, lean meats, and fiber-rich foods. Your body needs the vitamins, fiber, and nutrients in that kind of food ESPECIALLY at such a low calorie intake.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Wow your diary is interesting. I would starve if that's what I ate, try cutting the butter, bread, peanut butter out and eating Greek yogurt, fruit, egg whites... Healthier things?

Yesterday almost all your calories were from the pie/ice cream. You need some protein to build muscle to drop the pounds.

Also get a heart rate monitor. 1197 calories everyday without losing weight seems like a lot. Perhaps you are burning less than you think.
  • enorth77
    Options
    hello , i am also in my 60's and over 230 lbs . I asked my doctor why i am not losing weight faster as i have drastically changed my eating habits and now exercise faithfully at least 1 hr ..3x a week. she told me to concentrate on getting healthier on the inside and don't worry about the numbers on the scale. are you charting saturated fats, carbs , fiber and sugar? are your numbers good in those columns?. i just was diagnosed with elevated cholesterol; and type 2 diabetes. i try and control this with diet. i find that my fitness pal shows me where i am lacking and where i overindulge. it's not so much about dieting as it is about the quality of my diet. i try and play around with different food choices so i can balance my intake and forget the calories. i am stunned at how well this works in becoming a more informed eater. i allow myself cookies and the odd sweet but find i am not so desperate when i know i can have these things if i track my sugars and fats. i also found that my diet was quite lacking in fiber so i am trying to adjust that. by the way my numbers on the inside have improved a lot with these lifestyle changes. i hope this helps you..i need someone to make me exercise more and snack at night less lol. but look at this as learning how to eat healthier for life! no fast weight loss plans seem to work when you stop the extreme diet..keep trying , you seem to be very committed to losing ..just don't be so hard on yourself.good luck!!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Also I'm not sure eating more calories is better. I have never eaten those exercise calories back. Just try eating more protein :)
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Try eating different foods. From the looks of your diary, you are wasting your calories on butter, sugar, & cream. Where are your vegetables, proteins, fruits? Try to lay off the white breads and extras and eat more lean foods. You'll feel fuller and more energetic.

Your exercise calories are also really high... are you wearing a HRM? You could be over-estimating.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If your MFP allowance is 1200, and you burn 1500 calories doing exercise, you should eat 2700 calories. If you do no exercise eat 1200 calories.
    That is fine if her normal TDEE is 2200 and she does burn exactly 1500 calories or more.
    But lets say her TDEE is actually 1350 before exercise and she uses MFP's estimates, which are notoriously high, so she actually only burns 950 calories.
    Now she's eating 2700 calories, but burning 2300. The figures all look correct on MFP, but it doesn't reflect reality.

That's an extreme example, of course - but to make a point.
    How 'safe' things are depend on an awful lot of factors and should be considered on a case by case basis to my mind.
  • dudette7
    dudette7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make SURE to track your sugar intake in your diary - you can change this in your diary settings. I see so many people on here not doing that and it can make SUCH a difference in weight loss when you cut out the sugar!!!! (Take for example something that is considered "healthy" for you like a Dannon Oikos Strawberry Fat Free yogurt - it has THIRTEEN grams of sugar! Much better off to get the plain and add a packet of splenda with a few berries that have lots of antioxidants.) Sugar can be cut out in SOOOO many places in your diet and will make a big difference!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Try eating different foods. From the looks of your diary, you are wasting your calories on butter, sugar, & cream. Where are your vegetables, proteins, fruits? Try to lay off the white breads and extras and eat more lean foods. You'll feel fuller and more energetic.

Your exercise calories are also really high... are you wearing a HRM? You could be over-estimating.

This. I doubt you are burning what you think you are, and you need to re-evaluate how you are eating and how much. Healthy choices! I know you can do this...have faith and just keep making good choices.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Why are butter, cream, and PB unhealthy?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I was wondering this as well. Since you have to add a lot more calories just keep the butter, cream, and PB and add lean proteins, veggies, and fruit.

I also question your calorie burns. Make sure that is accurate. If you're really burning that much I feel like you might be overdoing it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

All of these are calorie-dense, which is good if you've got the calorie budget for them, but if they take the place of nutritious vitamin-rich foods in a limited calorie budget, then it can be an issue with not getting enough nutrients throughout the day. Personally, if your calorie budget is that strict, you should consider raising it. Full fat butter and cream add much-needed fats to your diet. OP really has room for both with all the exercise calories she has available.