Back problems, what can I do now?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm having sever back problems and my doctor suspects it might be a slipped disc, but the xray waiting list can take up to two months. I was just wondering what kind of excersise do you guys recommend for me during this time? My back hurts the least when I sit down or lay down flat, and walking or standing up starts to hurt a lot after a while so I am trying to take it easy and save my energy for work, which involves a lot of standing and walking already. Anything else I could do to keep active without hurting my back further?

I appreciate any insight you guys might have!

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ha, I just hurt my back yesterday too. I haven't seen my doc yet, but have had problems before. I am going to guess what we should do is take it easy, move within the limits of pain only, and forget about lifting anything heavy until there's a diagnosis and pain's gone for a while. I know I'm annoyed by stairs and walking and don't dare do more. My plan is to take up some pilates to prevent this happening again, when I can. Probably some easy isometric exercises are ok now. For weight, protein up, cals at maintenance or very slightly below (need calories to heal).

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help. I hurt my back last week and haven't been able to do much at ll since then. I'm starting to get better though and hope to be able to resume exercise next week. Sounds like you aren't going to be so lucky though :( hope you feel better soon.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have had this pain before and it comes and go's really, but still annoying.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    I have a really bad back. Degenerative disk disease, spinal stenosis, bulging disks etc. Best advice-talk to your doctor! They can tell you what is safe and what is not :) Good luck to you :tongue:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Back pain can be so terrible to deal with. I hope you get some answers soon. About 8 years ago, I had two herniated disks in my lower back. For a while, I was lucky to tolerate walking and bike riding. Cycling classes didn't make it worse, so that became my main form of exercise. The elliptical machine was also pretty good. Some people can do swimming but it bothered my back. I think the key is to find something that works for you. If anything hurts at all, please stop and take it easy. Have you tried applying ice to your back? Believe it or not, it really does help! Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    with all these people here screaming LIFT HEAVY all day, I am surprised there are not many more back pain threads

best bet for back pain is REST

pushing through back pain is never a good idea
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor of course, but swimming and pilates exercises at your own pace come to mind.
  • ssimmons99
    Options
    Holy *kitten* - 6 weeks for an x-ray???? Where?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back at work 3 years ago, now I can't work. I was at the point that sitting or standing for more than a few mins at a time would have me crying. Now I run 10km, I can workout no problem.... but working .... where it means sitting still or standing kills.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have had this pain before and it comes and go's really, but still annoying.

Ok, I'm guessing if you have to wait for an xray, you live in CA? Can you get physical therapy?
  • reinhartrobin
    Options
    I have had back problems for years and they have kept me from being successful at weight loss. Someone else commented "calories calories calories" - and that is a BIG help, but I, for one, NEED the exercise to be successful. Most days it hurts to do ANYTHING -- walking, standing, sitting, laying down - there just is no comfortable position. I met with a personal trainer over the summer and she was wonderful and gave me a variety of stretches and exercises I can do without making it WORSE (and the stretches actually help). I also purchased a recumbant exercise bike... it has far less stress on my lower back than a regular bike and I was able to do a lot of calorie burning on it! (Now to get the basement put back together so I can access it again!).
    Best of luck to you!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    mmmm.... Xray?

Not sure that's going to show you what you need. I think you're going to need an MRI for discs....
  • kattaw
    kattaw Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This isn't so much an exercise necessarily geared to burn calories, but I've been trying to incorporate a little yoga into my daily routine. I started this because my lower back has been giving me a lot of trouble lately (I work at a desk all day and have terrible posture - also something I'm working on). Anyway, I've actually found a lot of relief with this, even within the first week of doing it regularly. Maybe this could help mitigate pain while waiting to hear back from your doctor? You can find some beginner videos on YouTube, and sticking to the stretches has helped me, particularly cat and cow, child's pose, bridge, and just bending at the waist, trying to touch my toes, and relaxing all the muscles in my back. Good luck!
  • shadowlydarkness
    Options

Auckland, New Zealand.
    To be fair the doctor said 'up to 2 months'
    but even that is ridiculous!
  • shadowlydarkness
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your ideas and advice!

I have a cross trainer at home and I used it every day when I was not working (I work only part time at the moment) and gave myself atleast 1 resting day per week. And I also do some arm excersis with weights, and have attempted yoga and pilates, the problem is finding something that works for my back, pretty much everything hurts right now, but I know in a week that it will be fine again (Had it before and it lasts upto 2 weeks and it gone again for a few weeks)
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Swim! It's the best thing for any joint/bone/body problems because you can work out with no extra weight on yourself.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    mmmm.... Xray?

Not sure that's going to show you what you need. I think you're going to need an MRI for discs....

More hilarity. I m not in NZ but where I am for some reason more to do with economics than health, no matter how improbable it is that it'll offer a meaningful exam for the injury, the docky docs start with an X-ray and only THEN 'escalate' to an MRI or bone scan.

I want to respect them so much more than I've been able to.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

Auckland, New Zealand.
    To be fair the doctor said 'up to 2 months'
    but even that is ridiculous!

I've actually been advised, by a NURSE, to just go to the ER when things are medium-serious to have a hope of getting things seen in a reasonable time frame. Awesome use of resources :(

Though, then, there's always the risk of being accused of being a pain med seeker.

Ha, sorry, I really am annoyed, almost more by the prospect of dealing with all this than the actual pain.
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend water aerobics/swimming. If you have a gym with a pool near-by look into their pool fitness classes.

The one near me actually has a water fitness class that specializes in things for older folks and those with injuries or other physical limitations that need to ease the stress on their joints as much as possible.
  • angelizer
    Options
    Have you tryed going to a physio? they can give you advice on what exercise you can do and what you should avoid and also will show you how to do some exercises to strengthen muscles which will help with preventing injury reaccuring.

I'm from Christchurch NZ, and hurt my back at work a few months back, it does still occasionaly give me trouble but as long as i throw in the exercises the physio gave me for a few days along with whatever else i happen to feel like doing it seems to come right again.