Food-a-holic back on the wagon!

Options
My name is Sarah, I'm 31 and am 100+ lbs overweight. I use to do the MFP thing religiously about a year ago then I just stopped. I could list all the excuses I've been using the last year as to why I gained 60 lbs but ultimately I just gave up. Stress and depression took over and so came the binge eating and sitting my big (and growing) butt on the couch.

My 5 year old asked me about a week ago why I was fat. I didn't have a good answer for him. So here I am. I'm back at the gym (three days in a row, 1 hour each) and trying to eat healthier. I keep reminding my kids, 5 & 3, that it's more important to be healthy than "skinny" but dammit! I wanna be skinny!

From my previous experience, I know that the community here at MFP is one of the most important factors in losing weight. All of the people here are going through the same struggles whether its 5 lbs or 100 lbs they need to lose and I would love to get to know you.

Please feel free to friend me! I need people who will hold me accountable and kick me in the posterior when the need arises.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Hi Sarah. Stress and depression have caused me to binge eat more times than I can count. It's easy to find 'comfort food' to make us feel better. Good luck with your weight loss :)
  • NikkiWalt
    NikkiWalt Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey Sarah!

Wanted to share a horrible story with you, as it relates to yours a bit.

I asked my mother when I was about 5 if she wished she could be skinny like me. She cried, I moved on to talking about my toys.

My daughter is three, and I am positive my weight will come up soon! I'm trying to avoid that at all costs - damnit, I wanna be skinny too!!
  • HappyNewSarah
    Options
    I asked my mother when I was about 5 if she wished she could be skinny like me. She cried, I moved on to talking about my toys.

This is how the actual conversation went.

Alexander: Mom, I think when people are fat babies they grow up to be skinny and when they are skinny babies they grow up to be fat.
    Me: Why is that? (I kind of already knew the answer)
    A: Well, I was a fat baby and now I'm skinny.
    Me: And?
    A: When you were a baby, you were really skinny.
    Me: And? (should have quit while I was ahead)
    A: (whisper) and now you're really fat.

Ugh. It made me feel terrible. He's trying to justify why I'm overweight. He's a really intuitive kid and has a big heart and would never say anything malicious. I think he just understands that I'm different than everyone in our family because I'm big. I hope he can remember me now and in the future, when I'm at my goal weight, he will understand how hard I worked to be a better, healthier person.
  • Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ouch it so hard when it's from a little one. I have never got rid of my mummy tummy, and even before I had my son I was a little overweight. When he was younger he asked if I was having a baby!! Worse last summer I decided to waitress and not only did my "boss" tell me I needed to lose weight, but one of the line cooks thought I was pregnant!
  • HappyNewSarah
    Options
    Panda307:

The world is cruel! It's understandable from a kid's prospective but adults should know better. Good luck with your goals and please add me if you could use another friend.
  • BostonBill99
    BostonBill99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sarah, welcome back! I am 56 years old and 100 lbs + overweight. But this time two years ago I was 200 lbs + overweight and in a deep depression. You can do this. One day at a time. Set your calorie limit, eat close to your limit, plan your meals ahead of time and stick to the plan. It works. Happy to lend my encourgaement whenever needed.

BostonBill99
  • Miller118
    Options
    You can add me if you want. I am new on here and need more friends to encourage me . I am also here to give encouragement
  • holly1007
    holly1007 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well, stress and depression took its toll on me this past year as well, and my goal is to make 2013 my year!
  • FryBerry
    FryBerry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I sent requests to the people here on the thread. Last year was last year, this one is our year! Let's keep at it just this week long and then next week and so on. Next thing we know 52 weeks passed by and we look/feel a lot better. Best wishes