Fitbit vs. Bodymedia vs. HRM

Options
Do you have any of these calorie tracking devices? Which do you like the best and why?

I have a bodymedia armband that I have used in the past. It's nifty but I don't like wearing it all the time since it's not exactly cute lol. However, I am worried the fitbit won't be as accurate with calorie burn etc. My HRM could use upgrading.

Replies

• cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've not tried the others, but my husband got me a FitBit for Christmas and I LOVE it.

It's so small I don't even think about it being there most of the time. I just wear it clipped to my bra where it's out of the way. At night I just transfer it to the wrist band and I'm good to go.

I don't know precisely how accurate it is when it comes to how many calories have been burned, but if it off I think it under estimates rather than over.
  • LibbyDogVT
    LibbyDogVT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Zip for Christmas and I really like it. I didn't need to know about sleep or care how many flights of stairs I climb in a day (which is a lot), so I went with the Zip, rather than the One. Anyway, it keeps me more mindful about moving around, particularly when I have down time. I find myself now going for more walks to increase my daily steps and beat my daily goals. I wear it on my pant's waistband and it stays put and it hidden by my shirts/sweaters. I honestly have no idea how accurate it is with calorie burn, but again, that wasn't terribly important to me, I just wanted something to be a reminder to move more.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Fitbit combined with an HRM for when you do planned specific workouts would probably work the best. I just use fitbit now, only had it two days so far though. I really do like it, it has motivated me so much. The steps were accurate when I checked them.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Fit and I wear it all the time. I don't care how it looks, I care what it does and how it helps me keep my eating in control.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit Zip this Christmas, (thanks Santa) and it is totally easy to wear, clipped to bra. I have only been using it for 2 days and I have no idea what's its doing, I have it synced to MFP and so far it has not adjusted anything. I weight lift and cycle so I am not sure how it's calculating steps. I am going to continue to wear it hoping someone on the boards can enlighten me. :)
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've had my bodybugg for about 2 years (wore it for about 6 months, stopped and just put it on again a few days ago), I think it's the old version of bodymedia. I pay $7 a month to get my stats and then plug them into MFP.

Originally, I went with BB because I thought I more than likely would throw a fitbit in the laundry accidentally. However, I have also jumped in the shower wearing my BB arm band but realized before it was too late because it is big and bulky.

Honestly, if I bought another, I might try fitbit. I hear they are cheaper and free membership, and easier to conceal.

I once had an HRM but the dumbing down calorie count of BB was the appeal for me. 22 pounds down with this gadget so they're worth it.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodymedia Core because it monitors your sleep. The only time I take it off is when I put it on the charger in the morning while I'm getting ready for work. While exercising, I also wear a Polar FT7 HRM so I can monitor my heart rate. I haven't had any issues with the Bodymedia Core, but my transmitter for the Polar FT7 HRM failed last week and needs replaced.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I love my fitbit one, its small and descreet it clips on my bra and no one knows I have it on. The fitbit one also does sleep monotoring with a wrist band, I am a very efficient sleeper. Which wasn't a surprise to any one in my family. Just having in on reminds me to get up and move more at work. Like I said...I LOVE IT!!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM that I was always pretty happy with. I stopped using it once I stopped religiously counting my calories. For Christmas my husband got me a Fitbit Zip, and I have been using that for the past week. I am not sure what to think. I feel like my HRM showed a higher calorie burn than the Fitbit.I dont usually eat back my exercise calories so I don't it is going to hurt me much at this point, but I am inclined to think the the HRM was more accurate, simply because I wore the the chest strap and I feel like that tracked my heart rate more accurately. The same work outs I did using my HRM showed a calorie burn between 45-500, and with the Fitbit, Im barely breaking 400 calories burned. Same workouts, same distance runs, etc...
    So I guess in my opinion the HRM would be more accurate. Im actually going to try wearing them both next time I work out to see what I get.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    **that should have said 450-500 calories
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bought a bodymedia ... it seemed like it would be more accurate for what I wanted to track. However, i also use a heart rate monitor to track myself during exercise to see that I am in the zone i want to be and to make sure I don't die. :) I also use Endomondo to track walks, etc. which is not a device but another cool app.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I started with the BodyMedia and wore it for 6 months and then switched to the FitBit (wearing a bit longer). I found the BM averaged about 300-400 calories more a day calorie burn. I lost with both, but I did seem to lose more consistently with the FitBit. I think the BM may have overcalculated my burn a bit. If you are only doing walking\running and stair type activities either of those would be enough. If you plan to weight train, or do things like cycling, I would still recommend the use of a HRM during those activities. I use the HRM for weight training because the FitBit isn't nearly as accurate since I'm not taking as many steps but I am working up a sweat.
  • mleonards
    mleonards Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!
    I mainly run and do insanity or turbokick for my exercise. I think I may try the fitbit:)
  • pamperedbecky
    pamperedbecky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good feedback! I'd love to hear others speak up too. I don't know if I should do FitBit, BodyMedia or BodyBugg (which I think is pretty much the same as BM, right?).

I am trying to get back on the treadmill and jogging/walking to train for a 2nd 5K, so I know any of those will help with that. But I also am doing round two of Chalean Extreme which is mostly strength training and I"d love to get the most accurate count of calories burned possible for that, so that's where I'm conflicted. Thanks for any feedback!!
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i have a polar HRM and i am obssessed with it XD money well spent
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Had a very positive experience with BodyMedia FIT customer service today. I received a quick response and they are sending out my replacement armband straps at no additional cost.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I must say I love my bodymedia core armband with display :), I had my fitbit one starting out and I HATED IT! I mean how is a small device that straps to my bra suppose to tell my accurately how my body is handling and burning things when it doesn't even touch my skin!! I can say the calorie count on it was way low, I mean I started out walking with both and my bodymedia counted steps and burn more accurate than the fitbit. Also had the awesome Customer service with bodymedia armband my armband strap broke and they sent me another one out with no questions asked and nothing needing to be returned :) also got to use CS with fitbit it was not so great customer service with fitbit, they are slow and do not answer your question at all. I had issues with my fitbit syncing up and they kept telling me it was my computer, and would not help really anything further so I returned my fitbit and went to best buy and bought one to see if it did the same thing and it did not! it worked perfectly FINE! so I was really turned off when it came to that!! Also the dashboards are so different!! Fitbit is a psycho mess of everything everywhere as with Bodymedia armband its a plug it in and a quick scan of everything on one page and a good smile off on to your day.

So I have had the awesomness :P of using both and well Fitbit was just not for me!! <3 my bodymedia core armband and display and this is my opinion and hope whatever you choose works for you!!
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump. Brought fitbit and bodymedia recently. Haven't receive bm yet so we will see.:drinker:
  • melw2910
    melw2910 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and love it, got a new Beurer HRM yesterday and did 30 day shred level 1. Fitbit came in at 145 cals burned and HRM was 152 so not a huge difference. Compared to MFP which was 181 cals burned (using the circuit training calculation).
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM... I don't need to be OC like some people who need to know how many cals they burn while they sleep. I just need something that requires little maintenance and tracks my workouts.