Educational Documentary about Nutrition

Options
"Hungry for Change" is a great documentary that explains how foods can be addictive due to chemicals. It is available on netflix. Just thought I'd share since it helped me out a lot!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    While I get that some people get a "rush" from certain foods, I can't stand documentaries because they pick and choose facts to fit their theories.

Learn about actual nutrition from books and studies and you'll be heads above the rest.
  • Julieothree
    Julieothree Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You're right. This is the only doc that has backed up all of the research I have been doing for my thesis paper for my biology degree. I have seen some that harp on one topic and are very misleading.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i watched this and agree somewhat w what is put forth. However, a good portion of this doc is pseudo-science at best and just pure conjecture at worst.
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks!
  • Julieothree
    Julieothree Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i watched this and agree somewhat w what is put forth. However, a good portion of this doc is pseudo-science at best and just pure conjecture at worst.

Hmm... I never considered biology/physiology or nutrition to be a pseudo-science, but as far as some of the food addictions discussed, I agree. There are more than physiological aspects to addiction.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is more than a physiological aspect to food addiction.
    a couple pts i recall from the film being crap (and it is possible of course I am remembering a diff food related vid on netflix) is the assertion that food cures cancer and the wonderful benefits of juicing.

of course biology isn't pseudo-science. Pseudo-science is a claim or belief presented as scientific, but does not adhere to a valid scientific method, lacks supporting evidence, cannot be reliably tested, or otherwise lacks scientific status. There are NO scientific studies demonstrating that eating vegs reverses cancer. If anything the opposite is true. It is unethical to prescribe vegetable treatment to 1 group and chemo to another. However, they have followed people who chose not to receive medical treatment and instead chose to go the route of high vegetable consumption. After 5 years, every person followed who refused medical treatment was dead. The other group which did receive medical treatment, had participants still alive. Of course some died, as such is the nature of cancer. One could argue their quality of life was worse. Chemo, radiation, etc is really horrible.

Hmm... I never considered biology/physiology or nutrition to be a pseudo-science, but as far as some of the food addictions discussed, I agree. There are more than physiological aspects to addiction.