Shaky during and after workout?

Options
You can check out my food diary (if you can't see it, friend me and then you can) I ate really well today, and I drank a lot of water too, today is the first day I've actually come close to eating at my calorie goal, otherwise I've been eating (not net) 1200 ish, so I don't know why, and I didn't do a harder workout than normal, I worked out after a good meal (as I usually do) not immediately after.
But about 10 mins into the workout I felt really shaky and dizzy, I had to stop and sit down, and I drank a little water and then started again and felt weak until about 30 mins, and then I started feeling better (but not 100%)
any idea what happened here?

i had an apple after and it didn't really help much but now sitting and chilling I'm feeling better

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So you eat close to 1200 a day, but that's actual calories, not net with exercise cals out?

I would guess you aren't eating enough. I don't know your stats (height, weight, what type of exercise, how long have you been at 1200 cals or less), but 1200 is considered the bare minimum for women, and it's actually lower than most women's BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories they'd feed you through a tube if you were comatose in the hospital :tongue:).

Food is fuel! Not only for vital organ function, but for daily activities, and with workouts on top of that, you gotta fuel that machine!

Try running your numbers through the tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Helps you nail down your BMR and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and info for setting your daily goal, target weight, etc. Good info there. Hope that helps - getting shaky during a workout is no fun.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like that after drinking an entire pot of coffee and trying to work out... hmm. My only advice is more water, or maybe try eating something with a little sugar to help you get going before a work out.

Otherwise try an easier work out.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    So you eat close to 1200 a day, but that's actual calories, not net with exercise cals out?

I would guess you aren't eating enough. I don't know your stats (height, weight, what type of exercise, how long have you been at 1200 cals or less), but 1200 is considered the bare minimum for women, and it's actually lower than most women's BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories they'd feed you through a tube if you were comatose in the hospital :tongue:).

Food is fuel! Not only for vital organ function, but for daily activities, and with workouts on top of that, you gotta fuel that machine!

Try running your numbers through the tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Helps you nail down your BMR and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and info for setting your daily goal, target weight, etc. Good info there. Hope that helps - getting shaky during a workout is no fun.

That's what I had been doing, but today I realized that wasn't going to be good long term and so I ate within 35 calories of my goal, and so it's weird to me that today I would feel shaky when I was doing the same intensity of workout, the same amount of water, but more food (and good food, not like junk food: egg whites, quinoa, sushi, veggies, stuff like that)
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Shakiness is usually a sign that your blood sugar is too low. I can't see your diary, but the foods you listed were heavy protein foods, those won't affect your blood sugar levels. You need a certain amount of carbs to keep your blood sugars up especially before you exercise. Try eating one of your carb portions for the day about 20 minutes before your workout and see if you solve the problem. Once your sugars get low the the point of shakiness, it takes a little time to recover- slamming down some gatorade won't fix the problem quickly enough to let you get back to your workout right away.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Remember that GOAL is something you're supposed to reach, not come close to. :tongue: Especially if your goal is the bare minimum. The fact that it hasn't affected you this way before now may just be that it's finally catching up to you. Hard to say for sure, but like I said, try running your numbers through the tools in the link I posted before - it was very eye-opening for me on how much I should be eating, and how much I can eat and still lose the fat. It works - my profile photo and the stack of clothes waiting to be donated to the thrift store because they're all too big for me are proof! :bigsmile:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    eat more. Around workout time is a great time for protein... may also be a sugar low.
  • MizMegan
    Options
    try an easier work out.

you may have just over-worked yourself, or your blood-sugar may have been low.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    caffeine sometimes does that to me.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    exact same thing happened to me....It was low blood sugar...I have reactive hypoglycemia (that is sporadic) so mine came from eating carbs 2 hours before I worked out..I sat down, had some peanut butter, a tangerine, drank lots of water, and about an hour later got up and finished my workout. Mine is so sporadic that I always forget I have it.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Remember that GOAL is something you're supposed to reach, not come close to. :tongue: Especially if your goal is the bare minimum. The fact that it hasn't affected you this way before now may just be that it's finally catching up to you. Hard to say for sure, but like I said, try running your numbers through the tools in the link I posted before - it was very eye-opening for me on how much I should be eating, and how much I can eat and still lose the fat. It works - my profile photo and the stack of clothes waiting to be donated to the thrift store because they're all too big for me are proof! :bigsmile:

I know that's why I said today I STOPPED doing that. and now I am eating more, and also it's very hard to hit exactly the goal and there are few things exactly 35 calories so I would rather be 35 under than 35 over.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sounds like low blood sugar. Maybe a serving of gatorade or something before you work out will help. Will put some carbs and sugars into your system.