Bring your Scale to the Restaurant...Have you?

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
So my boyfriend treated me to dinner tonight at Buca di Beppo, a family style restaurant. (I have enough leftovers for about a week.) As we were leaving I looked at him and asked, "Would you be embarrassed if I brought my scale to weigh my portions?"

He cocked his head to one side and replied, "Why would I be embarrassed? I'm proud of you for taking control."

So into the purse went the scale.

We ordered our food and out came the bread and olive oil and vinegar; and out came the scale. I had allotted out 2 oz for myself and as I am placing piece after piece onto my plate, my boyfriend exclaims, "More?"

"isn't it interesting how much 2 oz of bread looks like?"

When dinner came, I weighed out 300g of the pasta, and as I was carefully placing each piece of pasta onto my plate he says, "Its kinda sexy watching you be so intent on your goal," which made me smile.

Bottom line, I think I will continue to bring my scale to the restaurant, especially family style places. Has anyone else ever done this or have any interesting stories to accompany taking their scale to the restaurant?

Replies

• glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Never done it before but I will now. Seems much easier than just guestimating.
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wow that is amazing, you are so very lucky to have such a supportive partner. I took my scale with us when we went to an isolated farm with a kitchen for a few days and my hubby lost it saying that its not normal and I need therapy.... So good for you taking control and having the support you deserve to continue your journey. In answer to your question I haven't taken my scale to a restaurant as I think the meal would end with divorce not dessert! :ohwell:
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you :ohwell: Kinda sucks that he was mean to you about trying to be a good kid.
  • JRT3sMom
    Options
    My scale just arrived today and I'm so excited. I never thought about taking it with me to a restaurant. I just asked my husband if he would be embarrassed and he said no. Thanks for the great idea. I might just buy another one strictly for on the go lol.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a scale, but your boyfriend is AWESOME!!
    :)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I love this. I have soooo wanted to do this, but have not. Your BF is a keeper!
  • mncmom3
    mncmom3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That is such a great idea- I think I will do the same. Restaurants give such large portions and have huge plates so it is hard to gauge. In the past I have requested them to bring a to go box with my meal so I can immediately pack half up before I start eating to cut down on the calories. That is awesome that you have such a supportive partner. Keep up the good work!
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    He is a keeper! Good for you for doing that. I never would have thought of doing that. Such a great idea.

I just asked my husband if he would be embarrassed. He finally said no but I guarantee he wouldn't find it sexy :(
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ummm, no. And I wouldn't.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    That guy? Totally a Keeper.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I thought about it, just to find out how big/small the menu's portion size is and whether that's the whole thing, half, a third or what. I know if I did that once, I'd want to pack up other things to bring, like the sauces I like, my margarine, low-sodium cheese, etc..
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have...I sometimes get strange looks. My thought is, if asked, it's my health and that's all anyone needs to know.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    No and I never will! If I go out to eat, I will enjoy myself but I am also pretty good at eye balling things so don't really over do it too much. I also have drinks so it really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Your boyfriend is a keeper.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    No and I never will! If I go out to eat, I will enjoy myself but I am also pretty good at eye balling things so don't really over do it too much. I also have drinks so it really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Your boyfriend is a keeper.

I am not so good at eyeballing:grumble: and my eyes are way bigger than my stomach. So i'm hoping that further along my weight loss journey I will be able to eyeball something and say "That's about 2 oz," or "That's one cup." Until then the scale is my friend. :heart: