Hello - is anyone a TV snacker?

Options
Hello everyone! My girlfriend at work joined and so did I too. It's easy to keep journals (no more papers or notebooks), there is a forum, and keeps track of your exercise too. I try to go the gym 3 times a week and 1 day with the trainer, but I'm not getting any results. Probably because I love to snack in front of the TV, especially watching Big Bang Theory because they are always eating and drinking something. Or after dinner you were taught to have dessert after dinner and it would be something sweet. Well, that's me and I need some TIPS on what a can munch or drink when those shows are on.

Replies

• cthurley
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am a good person during the day, but at night in front of the tv, I lose all willpower. Suggestions needed to help stay on track
  • LeslieW77
    LeslieW77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a TV snacker, more on the salty side rather than the sweet stuff. Soooo, I found a recipe online for kale chips, which is basically kale torn into bits, spritzed with some cooking spray (or you can use oil) and then sprinkled with a mix of spices and baked until they're crispy. These are GREAT (to me, anyway) - really thin and melt when you eat them, but they must rehydrate in your stomach, because you feel full with them. I can munch on half a batch during TV and it's not very fattening and I'm satisfied. Another thing that has helped me this week (I just joined MFP) for snacking has been to cut celery into small little bites, and then put a very small amount of peanut butter on them. The key for me with this is to have it in small, snacky bites, in a bowl or on a plate! What else? Oh, I know - a mug of coffee with some sugar free flavored creamer to slowly sip, or a couple of tiny squares of frozen Dove chocolates - you can't bite them, so they take awhile to finish.

Last night, I was HIGHLY stressed, and went slightly over on my daily total because of the extra chocolate, but was very proud of myself all the same - up until now, I would have mindlessly eaten the entire bag when stressed!!!

Ok, good, looks like the MASH shows are starting on TV! Time to munch, er, ah, I mean WATCH! heh
  • colindae
    colindae Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this often.... I have found that the best solution is to not watch tv....da da da. I keep busy cleaning the house after the day or go for a run. OR i do watch tv but workout while doing so... cant eat and excercise. Good Luck!!!!!
  • Rozzy77
    Rozzy77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lesley - I have some kale in the fridge and now I have to find that recipe in my Women's Health magazine again. I don't mind celery with peanut butter, so I'll try the smaller bit sized pieces instead of m&m's. Freezing chocolate bars are a great idea too! Thanks for the tips!!
  • Verla7
    Verla7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I totally have that problem! My worst, I have tried not watching t.v. but I found I then have a very hard time getting to sleep and I need sleep. It is my time to unwind from busy days and work. I have tried keeping my hands busy crocheting (sp?) but found out I did a lousy job of it. I try to pick healthy choices like a sliced apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it. would love to hear any great ideas.
  • richardnicole
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel...I'm an evening snacker :( I've tried fruit and vegetable, but that does not satisfy me..so now i found a cereal with lots of fibre that I enjoy..I don't add the milk, just eat it dry..Also makes me drink some water which is important when eating fibre. I also love hummus or the cream cheeze "vache qui rit" with a few melba toast. I definetly look for the crunch..lol
  • angelbaby30
    Options
    I am right there with you. I used to snack all the time while sitting in front of the TV with mindless eating. Since I have been more conscience of what I am doing, I find that sipping on a tall glass of water is filling and it has 0 calories. :-) Another good snack is nuts. My favorite is almonds, so I eat about 15 almonds which equals about 25 calories. They are a good source of protein too. I may also grab a banana if I am craving something sweet. I find that keeping my hands busy helps with the urge to grab a snack. I keep my mind on craft projects, writing, or reading.
  • kmburne
    kmburne Posts: 21
    Options
    Try an apple and if you need some salt try a little peanut butter on it. It may sound funny but it is really good and the apple is good for you. It crunches too. I love em, I have to admit some times I use caramel.

Mostly I have been trying not to snack, just making sure I have a big glass of water around.
  • Rozzy77
    Options
    I totally have that problem! My worst, I have tried not watching t.v. but I found I then have a very hard time getting to sleep and I need sleep. It is my time to unwind from busy days and work. I have tried keeping my hands busy crocheting (sp?) but found out I did a lousy job of it. I try to pick healthy choices like a sliced apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it. would love to hear any great ideas.

I try to keep my hands busy now with logging on to this site and other forums. I also do my nails and pet my kitty jazzy - meow!
    I'll try the apple and cinnamon snack - thanks!!
  • Rozzy77
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel...I'm an evening snacker :( I've tried fruit and vegetable, but that does not satisfy me..so now i found a cereal with lots of fibre that I enjoy..I don't add the milk, just eat it dry..Also makes me drink some water which is important when eating fibre. I also love hummus or the cream cheeze "vache qui rit" with a few melba toast. I definetly look for the crunch..lol

The only veggie I would at night (6-9 p.m.) would be carrots, and definitely try the celery with peanut butter too.

Try this...I have been drinking spa water. Get a pitcher of water and fill it. Add 2-3 lemon slices, 2-3 lime slices, 6 cucumber slices, and a sprig of mint. It's so refreshing and detoxifying.
  • Rozzy77
    Options
    I am right there with you. I used to snack all the time while sitting in front of the TV with mindless eating. Since I have been more conscience of what I am doing, I find that sipping on a tall glass of water is filling and it has 0 calories. :-) Another good snack is nuts. My favorite is almonds, so I eat about 15 almonds which equals about 25 calories. They are a good source of protein too. I may also grab a banana if I am craving something sweet. I find that keeping my hands busy helps with the urge to grab a snack. I keep my mind on craft projects, writing, or reading.

I love my spa water..see recipe in post. I try to limit to about 10-12 almonds. Keep my hands busy and mind off food is good too.
  • benz1234
    benz1234 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I have the same issue so what i do is I eat air popped popcorn plain. Sometimes I spinkle Cinnamon . I also find that apples cut up in pieces sprinkled with cinnamon helps with the sweetness. Hope this helps
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I do as well.. more so late at night. I recommend air popped popcorn. 6 cups of popcorn is under 190 cals depending on the brand (some are way less) AND its super filling.
  • megziejo
    megziejo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Same issue here! Plus if I get too hungry I don't sleep we'll :( so I try to combine a healthy fat, think almonds or other nuts or nut butters, along with a carb, high fiber cereal, toast or a small fruit, along with a protein, most nights a cheese stick, but some days I make a yogurt parfait. I also drink a LOT of water. 12+ cups a day so sometimes I mix it up and make it into a hot cup of herbal tea. If I need chocolate I will make a small mug of sugar free hot cocoa, or eat a piece of dark chocolate. I try to make it into small bites and to think about each bite. I've tried stopping the TV/snack habit but it is really something that helps me wind down after a crazy busy day of work, being mom and working out. Some days it's the only thing that gets me through knowing that I will get to sit down at 9 pm and watch a show I've recorded and have a small nibble. Then I get on MFP finish up my logging for the day and read a good book before I'm off to dreamland by 10:30 :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    For me, what helps is setting aside a portion of my calories for the day, for that specific trigger time. I choose in advance what I will 'spend' the calories on for the snack as well. So when the urge to tv-snack comes on, I already know exactly what, and how much to bring to the couch with me.
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    I am an evening snacker too. I know that I will not give that up, so try to incorperate a healthy evening snack into my calorie allotment.
  • SplendorAngel
    Options
    First and foremost try to focus on eating according to HUNGER rather than habit. Ask yourself if u really need to be eating at this time. 2nd create a new non-food related habit i.e. I polish my nails! 3rd, if you must eat/snack/drink portion out your treat ahead of time (small bowls) and place those on the snack table so u can have just those during your show, another option is to choose your one splurge/cheat to be that snack only for the week. Lastly choose fun but healthy alternatives i.e. break up cauliflower as popcorn, veggies dipped in salsa, sparkling water with lime wedge and sip from straw, fresh berries dipped in yogurt etc. Some people need to eliminate food altogether. Drinking water is not as fun but filling! Excersing while watching tv is also a great option. You must address the habit and and eat according to HUNGER rather than habit or social activity...Good luck!
    Be sure to check out my blog for Motivation, tips, and tools!!