Opinions please

Options
Hello all! I have a quick question for you workout junkies. I am trying HARD to lose weight/fat and tone at the same time. I am counting everything I put in my mouth, so calories i'm doing well with my problem is, I can't dedicate 45 minutes or an hour at one time in my day to working out (I am a stay at home mother of 2 kids under 5 and until their bedtime, I just don't have an hour to myself) So I have come up with a routine of workouts that I do every hour. Takes me 6 minutes every time, and I do this 6 times a day totaling 36 minutes (I plan on getting up to 45-50 minutes when i'm in a little better shape) I am new to working out, I have dieted all my life but working out is foreign to me and i'm wondering if this is a good idea and will it work? Opinions needed!! :smile:

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is only 20 minutes and it has 3 levels.
  • GraeTaralom
    Options
    I think it's a great start! Good for you for finding a consistent way to begin exercising throughout what I am sure is a very busy day!
    As you get able to do more, I think it would get some better results to exercise for longer at a time, however, again, great start! Better than doing nothing! :smile:
  • camiann10
    Options
    As long as you are consistent, it should work. Its all about calories in/calories out. If you are decreasing the intake calories and working out...even if spread apart, it should work. Consistency is key...just pick something and work it every single day and stick to it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Any form of exercise is a good idea and doing it in spurts is better than not at all. Hope you do well!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Look into resistance tubes. I was doing some traveling for work and wanted to keep in shape so I stopped at Wal Mart and for a little over $20 bought a Gold's Gym resistance tube set. It even came with a workout dvd. I was in good shape but it was a great workout. Had me sweating up a storm in my room. It's easy enough to do, minimal investment, and following the dvd you should burn a good deal of calories as well as get in some nice strength/resistance training. I still use them for off days when I want something different or want to incorporate something different. Push ups i usually do at home I'll throw a tube over my back, holding it in my hands. It adds resistance to my push ups.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that an entire workout has to happen all at once. Just get the time in and push yourself a bit each time.

Do you take the kiddos to the park or to play in the yard? I teach preschool and I give myself a little workout every time I take my class to the playground.

Play chase and REALLY run around.
    When you push the swings, concentrate on your chest and triceps.
    Get on the swings yourself and pump your legs (you'll surprise yourself with how much of a workout this is!)
    If there are monkey bars with a ladder, do angled push-ups on them.
    If you are sitting on a bench while the kids play, use the bench as a guide for doing squats, just sit and get up a bunch.
    Balance Beams are great for the inner thigh area.
    Monkey bars again, do angled pull-ups while keeping your heels on the ground. Or do real pull-ups if you can.
    Take a full lap around the park before heading home.
    Play ball with the kids, and chase after the ball each time it rolls away.
    Put the ball between your knees and walk across the yard.
    Play animal games and go back and forth across the yard moving like different animals (Frog will kill your thighs!)
    Climb trees, slide-ladders, monkey bars, hills., etc.

Having fun with the kids can be a great workout.