Quitting Smoking Again!

Options
Ok, so this is it! I am sick of stopping and starting back up again. I am ready to kick this nasty smoking habit! Some of the reasons for quitting include:

1. It makes me feel gross after the cig...ewww :embarassed:
2. I dont want cancer... hello :sick:
3. I also dont want smoking lines around my lips as I age
4. It makes my skin feel old
5. It's just plain ignorant to do it! :smokin:

Alright, I feel better now, this is going to be tough... I don't smoke a lot, maybe one or two a night... more if drinks are involved. But when the urge hits, I satisfy it... so no more! :grumble:

Who's with me??? :smile:

Replies

• magnolia1077
    Options
    good for you. I want to quit so bad but honestly don't have the will power. I've never had an issue with quitting something before but this is so different. I say every night "ok tomorrow I'm going to try to quit" and then I wake up. I like you don't smoke a whole lot, more depends on the stress level of the day and drinking. But I know in 4 hours my body will self distruct if I don't have one.

I agree, I hate the way I feel, smell, and I don't want the smoker look and cough. I'm proud of you for quitting.
  • EmilysMommy
    EmilysMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, go back and forth. But mostly because of my husband. Unlike most people I am not addicted to them. I can go weeks on end without them. Until I see someone smoking and then I want one. Well someone that I know, my husband stops and starts like a freight train, my mom, and my sister in law are the only ones. Sunday he said that he wants to quit and I said OK, but it usually only lasts about two weeks or until he gets good and pissed off at work. We will see, I wish you the best.
  • christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys...

I'm like you simplegirl I only seem do want or crave one when my hubs is outside having one. It's so strange, it's like I'm tring to bond with him over them. I really hope I can set a good example since he is only 31 and has been smoking for 16 years... I want him here with me for a long time to come!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've heard somewhere that the average smoker fails at quitting several times before they succeed. I meant for that to be encouraging :laugh:

It is amazing to think that I am now smoke free for a year (April 7th was my anniversary)!
    I think our stories are similar. I only smoked in the evening and I smoked more if I was drinking.
    A few things that helped me quit:
    1) I decided to run a 1/2 marathon. I knew there was no way I could endure the training let alone the race as a smoker. Having that goal really helped me quit.
    2) Once I decided to quit I gave up drinking since for me the two were closely linked. This really helped me get through the first few weeks.
    3) I tried to focus on all the benefits many of which I hadn't anticipated. For example food tasted better, I started sleeping better, etc.
    4) I kept busy and found exercising helped to get me through the cravings. Also in the evenings I would have tea to keep my hands busy.

I hope my experience will help you, at the very least by letting you know you can do this!
  • christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks KatWood awesome encouragement! I just started the couch to 5K program and that is part of my motivation, you CAN NOT run and smoke!!!
  • dmdinfla
    dmdinfla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OK- RUN-straight to the bookstore and buy THE EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING by Allen Carr. Research him on the internet, go to his site, then GET THE BOOK. It works! You smoke your last one, CLOSE the book and you're DONE! No need for willpower,no desire to smoke, no stress when around other smokers. (My husband still smokes) I'm so glad I did it since I started an INTENSE boot-camp workout and there is NO WAY I'd be able to BREATHE if I didn't quit. Get it-you won't regret it-Best $15 I've spent in a LONG time944089.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    15 year veteran, 1 pack a day (give or take), quit in Dec. 2009.

I still have one here and there and I find that (surprisingly!) I'm okay with that - but I do have to be careful because it could easily become a regular habit again. I don't buy. I know if I buy, I'm in real trouble.

In any case - if I can do it, you all surely can.

Good luck.