Opinions please!

Options
Hello all! I have a quick question for you workout junkies. I am trying HARD to lose weight/fat and tone at the same time. I am counting everything I put in my mouth, so calories i'm doing well with my problem is, I can't dedicate 45 minutes or an hour at one time in my day to working out (I am a stay at home mother of 2 kids under 5 and until their bedtime, I just don't have an hour to myself) So I have come up with a routine of workouts that I do every hour. Takes me 6 minutes every time, and I do this 6 times a day totaling 36 minutes (I plan on getting up to 45-50 minutes when i'm in a little better shape) I am new to working out, I have dieted all my life but working out is foreign to me and i'm wondering if this is a good idea and will it work? Opinions needed!!

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think anything is better than nothing. I believe that you'll get more benefit if they are a minimum of so many minutes, don't recall...10 or 15...
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would think so. At the very least it'll help.

I think for those of us just starting out the major goal is to start being more active. I like to think every little bit helps. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that short bursts of activity over the course of the day is better than a marathon session in one lump with little to no activity for the rest of the day.

I can certainly sympathize with the little ones. I currently squeeze in my big work out session (be it shoveling snow or working out with Your Shape Fitness on my Xbox) while my little one is down for her afternoon nap.

I mean I've read articles before that recommends office workers get up at least once an hour for a quick walk around to keep from being too sedentary. Essentially it's the same idea right? A quick burst of activity as often as you can.

Also never forget that looking after two little ones isn't a vacation either. Depending on how active your kids are you may be getting a work out just from chasing them round the house ^_^
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    It's better than not doing anything, but in just 6 mins your heart rate won't really get up that much so you won't really be burning too many calories. Even if you did the exact same thing for the exact same amount of time but did it all at once then your heart rate would get up and stay up so you would burn more calories.

It really shouldn't be too too difficult to do like 30 mins of a workout a day, I'm sure there's at least 1 30 min period throughout the day when you are sitting, watching tv, reading, something, if you have a machine, read on the machine, if you are going to be doing other exercises do it in front of the TV, so you get both. Making time and making that a new routine is a big part in getting healthy.
  • sherrilallen
    Options
    I don't know...I think you should try for 20 if at all possible. Good luck! I too, am struggling with time. I like the gillian michaels ripped in 30 video. It's a 30 minute workout that is very good if you can carve out 30 minutes. She alos has one called 30 day shred.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing but you need to get your heart rate up for 20 minutes or more for optimal cardio effect. That said your weight loss will be 90% dependent on your food intake so if you get that down you should be good.
  • JUP1T3R
    JUP1T3R Posts: 31
    Options
    Alright, so a good way to burn fat and calories in a little amount of time is interval training. If you do not have an elliptical or gazelle or treadmill i recommend asking for one as a gift (people practically give them away on Craigslist).

I recommend High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT

total time needed is about 20-25 minutes and a sample workout is below:

5 min moderate warm-up pace

Then for the next 10 minutes you are going to go as hard as you can or at a pace that is high and you can sustain for 1 min.

Then you slow down for a minute to a low pace for 1 min ( try to slow your breathing and heart rate )

Then at the end of 1 min go hard again for a minute. so it should look like this.

5 Min warm up

1 Min hard
    1 Min slow
    1 Min hard
    1 Min slow
    1 Min hard
    1 Min slow
    1 Min hard
    1 Min slow
    1 Min hard
    1 Min slow

5 Min cool down

I recommend getting a heart rate watch to help monitor your heart rate because sustaining the high heart rate and then bringing it back down is what burns the fat and calories.

good luck and please feel free to add me or message me with any questions.

- Corey
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Anything helps. The specific reason I chose Julian Michaels 30 Day Shred video was the intense 20 minute (25 if you count warm ups and cool downs). It works and you can pause the video when you run out of time. She works you hard and not just one area at a time.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the very helpful advice! Tomorrow I am going to attempt to get in a 20 minute workout in the am, then do a few minutes throughout the day. I hope to be able to squeeze in a 30 minute workout soon, if my 6 month old gets out of his "I want mom to hold me every minute of my day" phase. Up side to that is i'm getting good at doing mostly everything with 1 hand lol
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bassinet or something he can lay in whilst you're working out? Just wondering if just being really nearby would be enough for him to give you a few spare minutes to stretch out your workout.

My little one is 19months now and is into EVERYTHING. When she's down for a nap I can pick everything up and put it all away. She won't be up for more than 5 minutes before I wonder why I bothered putting anything away in the first place. Upside though is even house cleaning is exercise, kinda sorta. Beats sitting about all day at any rate.
  • jlsexson
    Options
    I think also that anything is better than nothing. I have three kids, 2, 3, and 6, so I understand not having time. I also know that I feel better when I workout. It took me a while to get a rythme. I think that best thing is to not get frustrated and do the best you can. Maybe when you start, shoot for a 20 minute workout 3 days a week. You'll figure out what works for you. I like zumba, but it doesn't matter. Just try to find something you can motivate yourself to do. Something you can enjoy. Don't give up. You will figure it out:smile:
  • minihaha80
    Options
    What that dude said about hiit but you dont need a machine or anything you could do almost any exercise in short extreme bursts. Do a search of tabata style workouts, you'll be amazed at what you can achieve in as little as 16 min. A day. And btw ive read studies that suggest that exercise effects are cumulative, which means a bunch of short sessions are just as good as 1 long one.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    Options
    No I don't have a bassinet for him, I have a bouncer though he usually sits in it for a bit during the day, I am usually trying to clean when hes in it but I could rearrange my schedule and workout during that time I guess. Feel free to FR me you guys I could use some knowledgeable people on my friends list and I am open to any and all advice and information you guys could give me :smile:
  • lovingrn
    lovingrn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do you have a WII? Give the little ones a controller and pop in Disney Just Dance. This is my go to, when I am watching my two year old granddaughter.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you considered maybe the C25K program? I believe there are double running strollers now and you can take the kids with you....
  • xXxHBICxXx
    Options
    I have a wii and xbox kinect, I also have the biggest loser workout to go with the kinect, but my 5 year old pitches a fit when I put it in, he hates it lol
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Or better yet....schedule some outside time with your kids. Playing tag or something...for like 30 minutes...just make sure you are moving...That way all three of you get a workout.
  • kacilynn06
    Options
    I would reccomend doing a jillian michaels 30 day shred only takes 20 mins. and then keep doing what your doing with the 6 mins would make a big difference, I am already starting to see my body toning and i been doing it for 2 weeks and have gotten great results in the past
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I love HIIT work outs! I am a single mom of 3 with a full and part time job. The best thing I ever did for myself was buy a treadmill and small weights for my basement. It takes dedication even when you are absolutely exhausted!!! I go between HIIT and 30 minutes on my treadmill!
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm in the same boat as you.....except I don't have kids......and I have plenty of time to workout. Hahah! I just DON'T enjoy it!! I've tried for years to find stuff I like to do. I'm in the military, so I HAVE to be in some kind of decent shape. I've tried the running, lifting, classes, zumba, swimming, etc. I just can't get with it for some reason. Then I found, I just don't like driving TO a place to workout! Sooooo problem solved. I was pointed in the direction of a girl names Melissa Bender. She's a fitness junkie, for sure! She works out ALL the time and ALWAYS posts workout videos online. Best thing, they are FREE! I like free! So I take my computer into the basement, find a video of hers and workout! I love it! Most are fairly short. You can find some for 10 minutes, all the way up to about an hour or so. AND they are fun! So much variety! You also do not need any equipment for most of them. I HIGHLY suggest checking out her page! BenderFitness.com
    Good luck!
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for ideas check out a website called fitness blender. Tons of workouts of various lengths. I love the site and it's free