What do your macros look like?

Options
Your carbs, fat, fiber, protein, etc. etc.

What percentage do you have?

I am taking the BMR/TDEE/MACROS approach after reading the roadmap thread and am not sure how to set mine up. I am more concerned with calories because I want to lose weight but I do think focusing on getting more protein and fiber would be beneficial to my overall health.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Be concerned with your calories and maybe protein when starting out. You can play around with macros as you get a grip on what you eat or you find yourself tending toward a particular lifestyle. Don't try to make it too hard or you won't stick with it.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I guess I just over analyze and try to make healthier eating choices/habits anyway I can. I will focus on cals and probably protein just because that tends to keep me full longer. I'm not so concerned with fats/carbs/ and sugars.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I shoot for between 40/40/20 and 35/35/30, I find that for me, a balance of carbs to protein keeps me from getting to hungry, and helps my weight loss.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm at 35/35/30.

I switched it around for a while trying to find something that seemed to work with my appetite, weight loss and choice of foods.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    40 carb/ 30 protein / 30 fat

I find it pretty difficult to hit right on and am working on it, but that dang protein macro is apparently crutial to my overall satisfaction in a day as well as keeping sugar cravings and binges to a bare minimum
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    C40/F30/P30
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40 carbs / 30 protein / 30 fat... but almost never make it. Keeping my fat low is my first priority, and I always struggle to eat more protein.
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine are 55/30/15. I don't claim to be an expert, but I am studying nutrition...working on a BA. If you are just starting, keep it simple and stay under your caloric goal. Once you get the hang of it, you can start adjusting.

The reasoning behind my percentages is that the body gets most of it's energy from carbs (especially the brain); fat is at 30% because it packs the most energy per gram and I want to make sure I am getting enough fat. Yes, the body does require fat. it is necessary for the absorption of some vitamins, minerals,and phytochemicals. More important than the amount of fat, is the source of the fat. Whole food sources are the best (think nuts, avocados, olives, etc) and what ever you do stay far, far away from trans fats. Now, protein is at 15%, which many people would think is too low, but is actually pushing the limit because the body does not need excessive amounts. Too much protein can actually damage kidneys due to the break down of nitrogenous waste created from metabolizing protein. The only time you need more than, say, 10-15% is if you are doing some major strength training/bodybuilding. Just be sure to have a variety of protein sources in your diet to ensure you are getting all essential amino acids.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I agree with aiming for a protein goal of about .8-1g per lb of body weight daily and stick within your overall calorie target. Let carbs and fat land where they will to begin with.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    190p/425c/100f
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Your carbs, fat, fiber, protein, etc. etc.

What percentage do you have?

I am taking the BMR/TDEE/MACROS approach after reading the roadmap thread and am not sure how to set mine up. I am more concerned with calories because I want to lose weight but I do think focusing on getting more protein and fiber would be beneficial to my overall health.
    Great post about setting up your calories/macros here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40/40/20 - p/c/f split. It works out at about 250g/250g/50g for me. I don't specifically aim for fiber but I usually get around 20g. I can just about get by on 40% carbs. Anything lower and I become exhausted during a workout too easily.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with aiming for a protein goal of about .8-1g per lb of body weight daily and stick within your overall calorie target. Let carbs and fat land where they will to begin with.

So if I go with 1g per pound of weight then I am aiming for 174 grams? Wow, seems so high, lol, but I think I can manage.

Thanks everyone for the tips and responses. :smile:
  • lisamouttet
    Options
    trying to get the hang of this...or a better understanding....what are macros?
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    trying to get the hang of this...or a better understanding....what are macros?

macros = macro-nutrients
    i.e. Protein, Carbohydrates, Fats are the 3 largest ones responsible for human physiological composition.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I concentrated first on the calories, and didn't really look at macros. Now I've been around for a while, I watch macros closely. For me, I have to have my carbs set lower than the 55% MFP automatically sets me at. WAY too high for me. I am set at 40 Carbs, 30 Protein, 30 Fat. I find the protein hardest to get and often go slightly over in carbs.... but it's a work in progress and I'm finding ways to increase the protein, especially with all the strength training/exercise I do.

Good luck. You're doing the right thing following the Road Map.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm confused my carbs are at 170g with fat at 40 and protein at 48 automatically on here....what is 40/30/30 how would i work that out for myself..
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I'm confused my carbs are at 170g with fat at 40 and protein at 48 automatically on here....what is 40/30/30 how would i work that out for myself..

what is your total calories per day?

1g protein = 4 cal
    1g carb = 4 cal
    1g fat = 9 cal
  • emilynw10
    Options

carbs = 170 * 4 = 680
    fat = 40 * 9 = 360
    protein = 48 * 4 = 192
    total = 1232 daily calories?

if that's right, percentage that out:
    carbs = 1232 *40% = 492 / 4 = 123g
    fat = 1232 * 30% = 369 / 9 = 41g
    protein = 1232 * 30% = 369 / 4 = 92g
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

You go to "goals" and then "Set custom goals" ... change the carb value to 40%; it should automatically change the protein to 30... but then you can play around with them.