Rich in protein AND vegetarian?

Options
Hello, I'm halfway through my weight loss journey but have hit a bump in the road. I want to increase my weight training but I cant seem to hit my protein macros. what are vegetarian sources that are low-carb, low-fat and high-protein? At the moment i can only get it from protein shakes and egg whites. When it comes to lunch and dinner I become stuck and have nuts and cheese but they are too fatty. Please help!

Replies

• carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I have been veggie for 10 years now an I'm obsessed with getting enough protein!!

Some quick and simple day to day 'go to' foods that I always have are:

Quorn (sausages, mince, pieces, slices)
    Fat free cheese spread
    Marinated tofu pieces (Cauldron is the brand I buy)
    Cottage cheese

I don't know where you're based and if so whether you can get Quorn or something similar but it is literally my lifeline- I use it in every meal and always have some of the cocktail sausages or slices to snack on. I put the chicken style pieces in EVERYTHING!

Hope that helps somewhat?

I *think* my diary is open so feel free to have a look if you want...?
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Although I'm planning on reintroducing meat for this reason among a whole variety of others, I've been getting my protein from soy products (soy milk, tofu, edamame beans etc) lentils, eggs, nuts and nut butters, wheat (surprisingly has a lot of protein in it) & dark green veggies (again, broccoli aint so bad on the protein front if you eat enough of it!) I also go with protein shakes - whey if you are vegetarian or soy if you are vegan - or fake meat products like quorn etc. X
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - greek yogurt (fat free or low fat)
    - fat free milk
    - whey protein
    - seitan
    - soy/tofu/edamama
    - quorn
    - nutritional yeast
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If your looking for purely vegan choices try the following:

Tempeh
    Lentils
    Chickpeas
    Kidney Beans
    Pinto Beans
    Quinoa
    Almonds
    Oatmeal
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    brown rice
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I eat everything on Sarauk2sf's list plus:

In my drawer at work I keep things like pumpkin seeds (just discovered vanilla coated ones, yum), chilli chana nuts (dried chick peas), salt and pepper dried soya nuts (dried edamame beans), nuts, etc. for high protein snacks.

I eat a lot of fat reduced cheese sticks / babybel cheese / Dutch edam cheese (lower fat hard cheese, 25% protein), cottage cheese and peanut butter.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! :) that is a great list to go by! The quorn and fake meat products are something I am definately going to look into. low fat yoghurts would make a difference to the full fat ones I buy, and tofu would be a good addition to vegetable meals. Thos helps a lot! :)
  • barker3753
    Options
    Check out Gardein Garden Grown Protein. I just had some meat-free teriyaki chick's strips for dinner. They are extremely yummy. Gardein has lots of other products also: check out www.gardein.com One serving of the teriyaki chicken is 75 g and has 120 calories, 5 g total fat (0 saturated and 0 trans), 4 g carbs, and 15 g protein.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to look into fake meats/veggie burgers every once in awhile they pack a big protein punch. But I wouldn't live off them, and some would never eat them. These generally contain tofu - which some don't want.

BigDawg has a great vegan list, though it would benefit from the addition of regular old tofu too.

There's a lot you can do with eggs though, and I like to make them with refried beans and corn tortillas with avocado sometimes!