Really really need some motivation or ideas at this point.

Options
I am really upset right now, almost in tears.

I started a REAL journey on Dec. 1st. I decided no more excuses, no more being lazy and no more fast food all the time.. It's time to get healthy. I can say that since then there has been a few cheat days, mostly christmas time and when my boyfriend came to visit, so you can subtract possibly one week from that equation... I just took a picture of myself before and after and I look the same........ so frustrating. I also weigh the same.......... UGH!!!

I used to be the type of person who had fast food at least 3 times a week after work and worked out minimally. I also drank every weekend. I don't understand why I weigh the same now when I have made DRASTIC changes... Here is what I have been doing...

Not only logging my calories with MFP, I eat HEALTHY minus the stupid chocolate chip cookies we have at work every days... we are talking even with those stupid cookies around 1200-1500 cals a day.. That's a huge difference from what I used to eat. I am also going to the gym or doing at home workouts 4-5 times a week always at least 30 mins cardio sometimes crossfit style workouts sometimes just plain lifting.

My days usually go like this... In the morning time a "green" smoothie made with spinach and fruit or 100 cal pack of oatmeal, I usually snack/graze through my lunch since I work as a dental hygienist my scheduled can be hectic during the day... I usually have fruit, greek yogurt, rice cakes, salad, whatever I can take to go with my to work... Then I hit the gym after work always logging my calories along the way and for dinner I have usually grilled veggies like yellow squash or mushrooms or anything (i have this grill pan that I love) and usually chicken breast or shrimp... I also have been eating a lot of spaghetti sqaush since it's winter and I love that *kitten* lol

I literally measure everything to make sure I am not cheating calories... cups, half cups, tablespoons, teaspoons I try and be RIGHT ON TRACK.

I am really disapointed right now because I thought after making this drastic differences I would start to see results already. I guess I was wrong... am i doing something wrong? Is my body prone to not losing weight? What should I do?

I'm 5'5'' and 155lbs right now.. i can fluctuate daily from what I think is water weight from 147, have one bad meal and can go all the way back up to 155 :/ so frustrating.

My complete goal weight would be 125 lbs.... so 30lbs.. I set this goal on Dec. 1st to make this happen by June and I haven't made any progress yet.. I am so upset :(

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taping yourself? Maybe what you are losing isn't on the scale yet but on your body in inches or centimeters? Stay in there....What is your workout? Is it pure cardio? Or are you adding in weight lifting? For some, the body takes time to adjust.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people where when I have started something new and made drastic changes it can take about a month and a half until it shows. Its discouraging for sure but once you notice the difference its wonderful. I also agree with measurements. Definitely do that...works better for me in the beginning, I loose inches then weight :)
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Have you considered taping yourself? Maybe what you are losing isn't on the scale yet but on your body in inches or centimeters?

This. Pictures can be VERY subjective- lighting, distance from camera, what your wearing, even something as small as if you did your hair or makeup can make a huge difference in the way you perceive yourself. I would do all my measurements, and body fat would be useful. Also, don't expect rapid change overnight- meaning, you just started Dec. 1st. You have to give your body a little bit of time. Way to stick with it! Add me if you like :-)
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't be so frustrated!

I mean, look at all you're doing- you've changed your life into a healthy one where you're conscious of making healthy decisions.

I would say two things:

1. Don't beat yourself up just yet... and don't make having a "sexy body" your end goal. Make your goal something more sustainable like having energy or feeling good on a daily basis, and then you will be accomplishing your goals all the time and see some of the weight come off as a result. Additionally, you might be building muscle mass which is a great thing. The muscles building up could be pushing the extra weight out towards the surface more and you just have to stick with it. You can get there!

2. Be prepared to plateau every now and then. You may be there right now. I've noticed that one workout won't work for me for too long. Not only does my body adapt after so long to the routine, but I get bored. Do some research (on top of what you've already done) to find ways to change up what you're doing. Confuse your body a little bit.

Take all of that however you want, but I just really think you shouldn't beat yourself up over it just yet! That's why it's hard to get that weight off sometimes- persevere!

Feel better =]
  • TaLisa08
    TaLisa08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have thought about getting some tape to measure before, but I just haven't picked any up. I am sure you can get it at any basic store right?

Thanks for the support, it's just weird!!! I don't understand
  • kacilynn06
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about weight fluctuating during the day thats normal to fluctuate back in forth in the 2-3 pound range. It sounds like you are eating good food so this is what I am going to recommend. Variety of food, dont eat the same thing everyday, have your 3 meals with some snacks imbetween. Drink water, stay away from too much "sugar free and fat free" they have lots of preservatives that are bad for your body and can cause issues and can cause water retention. I am not a big gym goer other than doing cardio on the machines, reason being is I got more toned and lost more weight by doing Jillian Michael tapes, I dont care who you are do her workouts for a month and you will lose weight and get toned. I am sorry that your so frustrtated, but these are things that I know will work, Jillian Micahels also her diet website with recipes, hungry girl recipes and skinny girl recipes, they all have a huge variety of food that will keep your calories down and your metabolism up also have your thyroid checked
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Show your pictures to someone you trust and ask if they can see a difference. We are SO critical with ourselves that we sometimes can't see the changes in ourselves. I'm not suggesting that you have to post them, just a friend or two who can see through more objective eyes! I agree that water retention can make a huge difference from day to day. If you watch your salt intake and keep your carbs consistent at whatever level you choose, you shouldn't see drastic jumps day to day. Of course TOM wrecks everything so always keep that in mind! You didn't mention what you are doing at the gym, but lifting weight will change your shape, even if your weight doesn't change. Stick with this, you are doing really well. You should be proud of yourself for committing to it. There is a group here called EM2WL where we eat and lift in a way that puts on muscle and reduces fat slowly. Maybe check it out... lasting body changes don't normally happen overnight. Stay strong, girl!
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have thought about getting some tape to measure before, but I just haven't picked any up. I am sure you can get it at any basic store right?

Thanks for the support, it's just weird!!! I don't understand

Yeah. I got mine at Wal Mart in the sewing aisle. It was like two dollars.