Dr. Oz Weight Loss Aids - Has anyone tried any of these???

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    IF it has the name Dr.Oz associated with it, stay away.

^^ This

yup. Edited to add: the OP appears to have been on MFP since April 2011 and has lost 0 of 25 desired pounds, according to her weight loss ticker. So...if you're using Dr. Oz' recommended products/supplements/quackeries....apparently they don't work. Not great advertising, if that's what you're attempting to do here with the spam list (I didn't read all of it, just the first paragraph, that was enough). Hopefully you'll find something more sensible that will work for you.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You have a Ph.D. You know how peer-reviewed science works. None of this stuff Dr. Oz promotes stands up to any real scientific scrutiny. Don't waste your money.

Just work hard and get control over yourself, and you'll find lasting success and keep your money.

You should apply the same level of rigor to diet information that you encounter as you would new information about your field.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    IF it has the name Dr.Oz associated with it, stay away.

basically this. Oz is a "I'll sponsor whatever you want if you pay me" schill. There are no miracles. Just hard work, calorie deficits, determination, and patience.

Success doesn't come in pill/supplement form and you can't buy it, you earn it.
    yep... totally agree!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Since Dr Oz doesn't endorse the Ice Cream Diet, he's clearly not to be taken seriously.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Since Dr Oz doesn't endorse the Ice Cream Diet, he's clearly not to be taken seriously.

Werd!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Oh, good, plenty of people before me have thrown down the quack label so I don't have to bother.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Quack Quack Quack. No.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Clearly, this man needs a quack muzzle.
    Oppo-Dog-Muzzle-Quack.jpg
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Whoever reads the whole of that first post deserves a ****ing medal lol!!
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    None of that stuff is needed, whether it be raspberry or coffee beans, gold dust, who knows. Might as well take an EC stack or Yohimbe (not serious).
  • atthompson27
    atthompson27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think that's the problem. The rest of my life requires so much focus, structure & discipline that monitoring my diet feels like too much. I know there's no miracle drug, I'm just looking for something that will make it a little easier. :ohwell:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think that's the problem. The rest of my life requires so much focus, structure & discipline that monitoring my diet feels like too much. I know there's no miracle drug, I'm just looking for something that will make it a little easier. :ohwell:

Just take your time and be patient and consistent. None of this stuff will help. It's just a waste of your money and effort.

Don't be overly restrictive, and this will be pretty straightforward for you.

Just eat within your calorie budget, log your food, and setup an exercise schedule. Don't make it harder than that. If you stick to it, you'll find success.
  • atthompson27
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know he was such a quack. I've never watched a full episode, but have seen tons of snippets & didn't know if it was all hoopla. Of course there's no miracle drug & nothing works for everyone, but if hunger (which is my issue) is about brain chemistry, surely something can help. Oh well.
  • sirluck
    sirluck Posts: 14
    Options
    I've tried green coffee extract, but have to admit I'm not positive it was from a reputable company. I got extreme jitters that only being over-caffeinated supplies. I had to stop after just 2 days. I might try it again someday with more research, but gotta admit nothing but a sound diet and exercise works.
    In his defense, the stuff he promotes on his show always has research to back it up..always. He should be mentioning if it has peer reviewed evidence though. That's harder to fake.
  • genieangel
    Options
    I tried the Konjac Root he recommended. I know most of these supplements don't work but since he said his wife swears by it I thought I'd try it. ... I could always return it if it didn't work. I got the brand PGX. In the beginning it was a miracle supplement for me. It made me feel full, even at night! So full I didn't want to eat at all, not even for flavor. And as an added bonus it took away my sugar/carb cravings!! In fact, it's the way I started finally losing weight again. That was last January. I lost 25 lbs. A few months into it, it didn't make me full anymore somehow but I had changed my habits and I didn't eat as many sugary foods and snacks anymore. When people saw I had lost weight (at my age it's not easy) and I told them Konjac Root gave me an incredible push they all wrote it down. Not sure how it helped them though.

Since PGX was no longer helping I took the Green Coffee Bean Extract (by NutriGold). That made me somewhat full, but not like the Konjac Root did in the beginning. Also, although it helped with fullness, it didn't take away the desire to eat, (for flavor) which somehow the Konjac did. There is a Green Coffee Bean Extract now on QVC that has what Dr Oz said to look for. Svetol plus at least 45% chlorogenic acids. (but that one is only 200 mg per capsule). Mine has the chlorogenic acids, but I don't see any indications it had Svetol in it. Also, on a recent show he said that Green Coffee Extract helps you burn fat, I thought it made you feel full, so now I'm going to try it again.

I don't depend completely on supplements but they have helped me. For the naysayers on Dr Oz, I know that sometimes he comes out of left field with some of these supplements or advice, but most times I think he is right on. I know that for myself watching his show keeps me focused on my desire to get healthy and fit.

Now I'm all set and ready to go for my next 25-50 lbs!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Salesmen must love you if you'll buy into all that hook, line, and sinker.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Calories in<calories out. Don't make it so complicated.
  • seoulseeker
    seoulseeker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your protein intake to about .6g per pound of body weight. This should help with feeling full (satiety). Next try to get about .4g of good fat per pound of body weight, finally fill the rest of your caloric budget with good carbs (i.e. veggies, brown rice, etc.).
  • atthompson27
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who is actually providing feedback instead of (not so) witty retorts that might discourage a more sensitive person from engaging in the message boards. We are on here to encourage & motivate one another, or so I thought.
    Anyway, thanks genieangel. Again, I know there's no miracle drug & as with any medication, the effects wear off & you have to take higher dosages to achieve similar results so what you're saying makes sense. I want something to help get me started while I adjust to the changes I need to make.