Constipation relief! Foods hard to digest? Easy? Fiberous?

My New Year's Resolution is to beat my health problems that I have dealt with for two years. I am in and out of the doctor regularly in search of alleviating my severe constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, etc. but have found no luck. They have tested me for many different complications, but my test results always come back completely normal-even for food allergies. However, doctors have never suggested that I focus on my eating habits.

I want to take note of foods that I should stray away from! This should include foods that are prone to causing constipation or are just plain difficult to digest. I have heard that dairy products sit in your stomach-has anyone heard anything about this? I was planning on pursuing the Activia (yogurt) promise to eat it three times a day and become regular again. How about carbs? I have SUPER HIGH fiber bread (5g per sandwich) and tortillas (12g per tortilla)...but are carbs something a constipated person should stray away from? Any information or suggestions are really appreciated, even beyond what I specifically mentioned! :)

Also, what should I generally do to increase my fiber intake? What is a good amount of fiber in grams for a typical 18 year old girl to be consuming daily versus someone who is constipated? Again, all suggestions are welcome (:

Thank you so much for reading, and hopefully answering! I am tired of living my life through constant suffering. If anyone may have any further information on my condition, again I AM AN OPEN BOOK. I feel so desperate, but I just want a solution.

Thank you MFP!!

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    the more raw food you eat, the easier it is "to go"!!! fruits and veggies... they really clean you out! also, lots of water! i also like to add some extra fiber therapy powder to my drinks... i mix it in to my water, my smoothies, my coffee...
  • My diet is lots of fruit and veg and soups, have a look if you want. I never have a problem 'going', my fibre intake isnt crazy high its just about eating fruit and veg for me oh and water! I drink about 10 glasses a day, that definitely helps!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    That sounds a look like what I go through. If your problem is like mine, most people's suggestions won't help. Have you been diagnosed with constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-C)?

Anyway, the thing that helps me the most is a laxative I've been prescribed, but it's basically Miralax. It's an osmotic laxative, which means it draws water into the bowel. I've used Activia, but it worsened the spasming A LOT, and it didn't particularly help the constipation. One other thing that also helps is ground flaxseed. Fiber is important, but most forms didn't help me (even 50+g/day).
  • stacelee133
    stacelee133 Posts: 6 Member
    Alpine tea will never let you down!!
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    If you like smoothies, just add in a tablespoon or two of whole psyllium husk...blends right in!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    How much water do you drink?
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    That sounds a look like what I go through. If your problem is like mine, most people's suggestions won't help. Have you been diagnosed with constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-C)?

Anyway, the thing that helps me the most is a laxative I've been prescribed, but it's basically Miralax. It's an osmotic laxative, which means it draws water into the bowel. I've used Activia, but it worsened the spasming A LOT, and it didn't particularly help the constipation. One other thing that also helps is ground flaxseed. Fiber is important, but most forms didn't help me (even 50+g/day).

Wow, we do sound similar. I wasn't really diagnosed with IBS-C, but I did get a colonoscopy and the GI said it was inflammed, so he gave me these steroid suppositories to relieve it and said that's all that was wrong with my colon. I took Miralax everyday for a good year and it did absolutely nothing for me...but if it helps you then that's great :D And thank you for the comment on Activia! I might just give it a go, but we'll see :) As for flaxseed, I've grown used to Chia Seed but it's been recommended before and I may try it!

I forgot to mention that I was prescribed it for twice daily, which I'm pretty sure isn't typical (and you shouldn't try it without consulting a doc first). Once a day wouldn't do it for me either. The flax was also a double serving (and it has to be ground). My guess is that it's the combination of the type of fiber, combined with the fats. Getting ample amounts of each separately never had the same effect.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    dates, macadamia nuts, quinoa, almonds. I think some fats will make your stool softer. I do find that when I eat cheese (and so far it's been just cheese), I get constipated. Alcohol also does this to me as well.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I suggest you start experimenting. Remove one food or type of food, like dairy, for a week and see how you do. If that doesn't change anything, try another type of food.

Also, I've had some trouble with constipation with some of the meds I've been on, and a stool softener (like Phillips') usually solved the problem, but would take a day or two. A laxative would probably work as well, but it's not quite as gentle.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    I've heard pears are good
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Maybe too much fiber? A while back I got the idea that I needed to increase my fiber intake, so I started eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking lots more water. It had the reverse effect on me. When I went back to eating as before, things got back to normal. Ciao, Marc
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Increasing natural fibre found in fruit and vegetables, plus water. Recommended daily intake of water is 8cups/2litres per day. Ensuring that you eat at regular intervals through tout the day will help to stimulate regular bowel activity. You could also try abdominal massage - stroke with gentle pressure with your hands from your right ribs down to your right hip bone (right hand,) across your lower abdomen (left hand,) then just below right ribs and across to left ribs (right hand,) and then left ribs down to left hip bone (right hand.) repeat this 3-5x to stimulate intestinal activity/movement. Hopefully there's something here you haven't tried before. Good luck :-)