this is what I eat on a typical day--need suggestions!

Options
I need some ideas of how to make sure I eat enough during the day so that I am not so hungry (or have extra calories) at night. My net calorie goal is 1200 and I usually work out during the week, so I especially need an extra snack before I workout.
Please feel free to post what you eat or make comments/ suggestions on what I eat and how to make it better.

My typical menu:
8:30 am: Cup of coffee with 2 tbsp. fat free half & half
1/2 C. oatmeal with a banana
11 am: Cup of coffee
12:30 pm: Apple, 1 C trader joe's butternut squash soup OR salad with trader joe's grilled chicken (3oz), Trader Joe's edamame crackers (38 for 120 cals), baby carrots
4pm: Turkey sandwich (40 calorie slices and 2oz turkey)
Danon light and fit 80 cal, yogurt
7:30 pm: 3oz chicken, broccoli/string beans, salad with fat free (maple grove sugar free) poppyseed dressing, sometimes with 1/2 c brown rice OR sweet potato

I just need some ideas for the lunch/4pm time. I get really hungry at night (especially when I work out) but I dont' ant to have such a large dinner and I also don't want to snack after dinner (my down fall). So suggestions on how to eat more during the day, espcially when I am sitting at my desk all day long. Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should try eating every 3 hours or so, it seems like a large gap between breakfast and lunch. Try adding a snack there, and you may not need the coffee.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you need to eat more for breakfast. I know that when I eat a good breakfast (say 300 calories) then it sets me up for the rest of the day. Plus I have all day to use those calories. I am on about 1300 calories a day, to lose 1 lb a week, and I'm not usually hungry. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.

If you're working out then you need to eat more; I eat all my exercise calories too. I workout before work, at 5:30 am, so I have a snack of about 150 calories an hour before, then my breakfast about an hour afterwards. Do you eat all your exercise calories?
  • skroll
    skroll Posts: 24
    Options
    You might want to have a mid morning or afternoon snack like nuts, raisins, seeds, or even a tbls. of peanut butter to help you stay satisfied.
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get rid of the coffee. Also are you drinking your water? Making sure you drink your water will definitely help with the weight loss and with the feeling of being full.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    before bed have a tsp of peanut butter - it's protein, it's yummy and it gives your tummy something to digest while you sleep to stop that hungry-feeling. or just drink some juice, something with a little sugar - i drink a bottle of flavored water before bed and another when i wake up.

also, i love "ensure" , salads with raisins and a few cashews added, and pretzels with bottles and bottles of flavored water.

good luck!
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions from the other replies. I have type 2 diabetes and my nutritionist has advised me to eat breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - snack. I'm not too good about the snacks, especially in the morning. I was brought up on the 3 meals a day and snacking ruins your appetite thing. So this is a very hard change for me.

What kinds of things are you craving?

For snacks I eat the following:

Crunchy - baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers - like crudite stuff. you can add sugar free peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese if you need more cals. I also really like apples, and again you can have them with a tablespoon of peanut butter. that really sticks to my ribs!

Sweet - I like those 100 calorie snack pack of cookies, especially for the afternoon snack. I also keep sugar free chocolate pudding at work to help me stay away from all the candy that is around.

cold/refreshing - skinny cows, sugar free fudsicles, sugar free popsicles, low-fat or non-fat yogurt. some other users here have recommended protein supplements and adding whey, flax to add fiber and protein to the yogurt.

Hope that helps!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I find that eating almonds (1/2 oz) daily along with dried apricots(20 grams,no sugar added) is a good pick me up and it seems to help with cravings. This is 130 calories and sometimes I have it in the a.m. after I work out and in the late afternoon if I feel hungry. Nuts are high in calories but a small serving is very satisfying.:smile:
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My suggestions.....
    more good fats - you could add avocado to your sandwich or sprinkle pumpkin seeds on your salad
    I expect you are very low in fats per day and your body needs them.
    more protein - make the sandwich with more turkey or have more chicken at lunch & dinner, 3oz is not much.

Second the water comment you need 1/2 your body weight number in floz
    e.g. if you weight 200lbs you need to drink 100floz
    BUT for every cup of coffee you drink you need to add at least one cup of water to counteract the caffeine.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A good snack for me in the afternoon sitting at my desk is hummus (red-pepper kind, yummmm) with baby carrots. When I'm sick of the carrots a treat would be the hummus with a handful of Triscuits. Another of my snacks at desk is a handful of almonds and a piece of that LF string cheese.
  • rb32497
    rb32497 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would add a more chicken at or lunch. If you don't want more meat I would think about adding a little bit of whole grain pasta to my diet. It's very filling and will help you the next day for your workouts thanks to the complex carbs.
  • sky379
    sky379 Posts: 46
    Options
    I definetely agree that I should eat a snack in between breakfast and lunch and then maybe a snack at 2:30 and then again at 4:30. As for the water question, I drink A Lot of water. I also drink a lot of coffee (usually 3 cups a day, not that much in comparison to what others drink, but still not great..i'll work on that). The types of food I crave, are the typical-chocolate and peanut butter!!! i loooove peanut butter, especially with chocolate.
    My biggest problem though is I can't have just one. I always want more. If I am able to stay away from it completely it won't bother me, it's when I have a piece of chocolate or a sweet that gets me in trouble because I figure if I had one, I can have more. Maybe, if I encorporate sweet into my day. What about those fiber one chocolate/peanut butter bars for an afternoon snack?
    thanks again everyone!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree with more protein and good fats. I would crash after eating a banana and oatmeal for breakfast. Try adding some protein for breakfast and more protein for lunch and fiber at dinner in the form of quinoa or beans to keep you full. There is nothing wrong with an after dinner snack. Maybe try a tablespoon of peanut butter or plain peanuts.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    If chocolate and peanut butter is a trigger food. You may just have to stay away until you can trust yourself. I love cheesecake and have it twice a year. Have you tried dark chocolate and natural peanut butter? Also I find it help to buy a single serving of a candy bar or chips that way when it's gone, it's gone. I spend more money but I spend less calories.
    I definetely agree that I should eat a snack in between breakfast and lunch and then maybe a snack at 2:30 and then again at 4:30. As for the water question, I drink A Lot of water. I also drink a lot of coffee (usually 3 cups a day, not that much in comparison to what others drink, but still not great..i'll work on that). The types of food I crave, are the typical-chocolate and peanut butter!!! i loooove peanut butter, especially with chocolate.
    My biggest problem though is I can't have just one. I always want more. If I am able to stay away from it completely it won't bother me, it's when I have a piece of chocolate or a sweet that gets me in trouble because I figure if I had one, I can have more. Maybe, if I encorporate sweet into my day. What about those fiber one chocolate/peanut butter bars for an afternoon snack?
    thanks again everyone!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Maybe add more fruits. Someone suggested peanut butter...one of the best companions for pbutter is an apple (I prefer crunchy pbutter)! Grapes, oranges, blueberries, etc. all offer calories plus nutritional benefits. Also, a glass of milk (skim) could fill you up and give you needed calcium. Good luck.
  • Bee28
    Bee28 Posts: 99
    Options
    I always eat a fiber one bar (chocolate and oats) for my afternoon snack. They are yummy and it keeps me feeling satisfied till dinner and totally satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Why get rid of the coffee? I have coffee during the day sometimes, nothing wrong with that. But I agree you need to add a little more fat, like sauteed chicken and veggies in olive oil or some almonds or at least add a couple fish oil caps a day.

Also you do a lot of starches late in the day...a sandwich and a potato? Also the 40 calorie breads tend to have fillers/sugars in them to make up for the lack of calories. I would switch it for whole wheat bread (Nature's Own makes double fiber bread with 50 cals) or ezekiel bread which is full of health and no flour.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidant bar - they are moister than the Fiber One bars and feel more like a treat.

Another member indicated that if chocolate and peanut butter are triggers for you then you should stay away from those foods. I am terrible about chocolate - once I eat it I just crave it all the time and end up eating too much.

Having said that however, I have not had that experience with the Fiber One or Kellogg's bars. I can eat one in the morning or afternoon with my tea/coffee and it is really satisfying and then I'm okay. I just have to stay away from candy, brownies, etc. or I'm done for.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I would add more protein to your AM, your pretty heavy in the carbs there. Maybe one of those yummy chicken apple sausages from trader joes ;) Also as others have suggested eating every 2-3 hours even just a low cal protein snack will helps tons! GL your doing great! I **LOVE** :love: Trader Joes! :D

OHH and wanted to add. You can find Larabars at Trader Joes too and they are FAB! :) NO added sugar, preservatives nada. Three ingredients or less :)