Foods that keep you full for 6-7 hours?

Options
Looking for some suggestions for foods that keep you full for a long time!

I have a weekly lab at school that can last up to 7 hours, and of course we're not allowed to eat or drink or leave to do so. It's a bit tricky because the lab starts at 7 a.m., and I find it difficult to eat so soon after I wake up. The past few occasions I've had a protein smoothie and once I choked down a bowl of oatmeal, but by 11 or so I'm usually starving and actually had to sit down once because I felt dizzy. :(

I'm going to keep trying with the oatmeal because I've heard so much about it being so filling, but I'd love to hear what works for you! Lower calories is always easier, but anything is better than passing out.

Replies

• Mverdecia1
    Options
    bump
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you want the oatmeal try adding some nuts and vanilla protein powder to it and top it with a low sugar yogurt to get more protein and slow its digestion. It's also very yummy that way. Be sure you use regular oatmeal and not the instant kind.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    high protein foods such as eggs, chicken, steak, lentils, greek yogurt, etc will keep you from getting hungry for longer than carbs generally
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    oatmeal
    bananas
    egg white omelet
    whole wheat bred

aaand lots of water (unless you're not allowed to go to the restroom either.. what kind of lab is this?!)
  • Kimbrlee715
    Kimbrlee715 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I face the same predicament at my job. I find Ramen noodles to be very filling, I haven't had the urge to snack all night and It's been approximately 6 hours.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I face the same predicament at my job. I find Ramen noodles to be very filling, I haven't had the urge to snack all night and It's been approximately 6 hours.

If we are talking about the instant ramen - way too much sodium for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved it when I was younger. But it definitely would make me retain water and feel like a cow.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OP I would advise keeping some almonds in your purse and sneaking them. LOL. Have some protein for breakfast - eggs, avocado, nuts....
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I still eat Ramen Noodles once in awhile but when I do I only add half the packet of flavoring and I tend to eat it with a fork now so I'll mostly get the noodles with flavor but leave the broth since i'm sure most of the sodium settles there. =) and I agree, lots of protein should help keep you fuller!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I make a "carrot cake" oatmeal that I made up that keeps me full for hours:

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/4 cup finely shredded carrots
    1-2 Tablespoons chopped nuts
    1-2 Tablespoons finely shredded coconut
    1-2 Tablespoons raisins
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    Top with milk

You can mix a little cream cheese with powdered sugar and drizzle over the top and/or add some crushed pineapple in with it. It's really nummy.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    aaand lots of water (unless you're not allowed to go to the restroom either.. what kind of lab is this?!)

ha ha ha... it's a surgery lab, so technically no, we really aren't allowed to leave for a good chunk of that time!

great ideas though, thanks! I like the idea of protein powder in oatmeal, might try that at home and eat an egg right before the lab starts.
  • thatonegirlamy
    Options
    Like ^^^ said...I had the same situation last semester and I kept almonds in my purse, and would eat like 1-2 here and there and it kept me pretty satisfied.
  • thatonegirlamy
    Options

ha ha ha... it's a surgery lab, so technically no, we really aren't allowed to leave for a good chunk of that time!

great ideas though, thanks! I like the idea of protein powder in oatmeal, might try that at home and eat an egg right before the lab starts.

ohhhh nvm on the sneaking food then LOL mine was at a hospital but it wasn't surg lol
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1-2 Tablespoons raisins
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    Top with milk

You can mix a little cream cheese with powdered sugar and drizzle over the top and/or add some crushed pineapple in with it. It's really nummy.

YUMMMMM!!! I am going to try this!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1-2 Tablespoons raisins
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    Top with milk

That is making my mouth water lol' I am so saving this recipe. Can't wait to try it :happy: I will figure calories & stuff as I make it so I can work in with my intake. :flowerforyou:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1-2 Tablespoons raisins
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    Top with milk

That is making my mouth water lol' I am so saving this recipe. Can't wait to try it :happy: I will figure calories & stuff as I make it so I can work in with my intake. :flowerforyou:

It's a little calorie laden, but definitely worth it because it really does keep you full for a long time. :)
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe try dinner for breakfast! I do this sometimes, just because its morning it doesn't mean you can't have a chicken breast, some roast veggies and greens
  • kevinkalis
    Options
    You might want to have a look at intermittent fasting, I routinely go 16 - 20 hours without food and would never cosider myself 'hungry'. The hunger you feel is more likely a combination of hormones, habit and psychological. Genuine hunger would take a lot longer than 7 hours to set in.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Bacon egg and cheese on whole wheat English muffin. Eat right before the lab starts.
  • ericapabis
    ericapabis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bacon egg and cheese on whole wheat English muffin. Eat right before the lab starts.

Canadian bacon lower calories option.

Also PB & J on English muffin...but wouldn't keep me full for 7 hrs! I cant believe u don't have a break :(
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    That's not legal, well in UK anyway. So glad we have Working Time Regulations here.