Just starting out struggling with calories

Options
Hi everyone. I'm 26 female and about 5'1. I'm weighing in at 9 stone 8 or 135lbs.

I have been logging for the past 3 days and seem to be struggling to eats recommended 1200 calories a day though I'm bottoo far away! The problem is I'm just so full lol! I'm unable to exercise due to an illness I have but wondering if I will still lose weight? I have an office job so I'm pretty sedentary really .

Focusing on eating 2 meals a day which is a challenge in itself! I just don't do breakfast lol! Lots of salad and veggies and fruit and just tea and water to drink

Any advice would be fab!

Thankyou xxx

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary public, we will be able to advise more.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Make some friends too to help you on your way x
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm 26 female and about 5'1. I'm weighing in at 9 stone 8 or 135lbs.

I have been logging for the past 3 days and seem to be struggling to eats recommended 1200 calories a day though I'm bottoo far away! The problem is I'm just so full lol! I'm unable to exercise due to an illness I have but wondering if I will still lose weight? I have an office job so I'm pretty sedentary really .

Focusing on eating 2 meals a day which is a challenge in itself! I just don't do breakfast lol! Lots of salad and veggies and fruit and just tea and water to drink

Any advice would be fab!

Thankyou xxx

try adding some cheese/olive oil/avacado to your salad, or eating a handful of nuts.

you can add extra calories wihout adding too much extra volume of food if you are feeling full.
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I struggled at first, ended up eating bags of crisps and other naughty stuff to meet my goal, but if you keep at it you'll get used to it. Now I love planning my healthy meals and working out what's the most I can eat for the calories I have :smile:
  • MelissaRae82
    Options
    Try to have a little something in the morning. Maybe your inner system is out of whack (ie: leptin...which is the hormone that tells you that you're full). Maybe try something like a hand full of nuts, a yogurt, 1/2 a banana, etc. Start small. Small changes = long term habits. Seven years ago I lost a lot of weight on weight watchers and that was the first time in my life (23 yrs old) that I consistently ate breakfast. Things happened and after all this time, even though I put back on weight, I still have that healthy habit of eating breakfast. I NEED it now.

You will not loose weight only eating a couple of times a day. If the cals you're consuming right now are sustaining you, try breaking those meals up so that you are getting 3 square meals and 2 snacks a day.

Have you ever looked into Primal or Paleo lifestyle? I recommend :)

I hope this helps. Best of luck in your journey!
    xo
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Other than suggested, go to town in a peanut butter jar. If you are active, you will probably need and additional 500 on top of that 1200 calorie number. You dont have much to lose so you should be aiming for 1/2 - 1 lb per week max and aiming to eat 50% of your exercise calories if mfp is estimating them. Also, try to incorporate high calorie protein shakes in your routine, like a muscle milk.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I hear you on once you are mindful of the calories and logging what you eat, finding the right balance of foods is tough. The thing that helped me is i just made protein my friend.. Evrery meal or snack i had i included protein, My go to favorites: fage 0% fat greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, baked chicken, cold boiled shrimp, tuna, salmon or a hard boiled egg.

I had gotten out of the habit of breakfast, i started losing weight when i got back on it. People say it doesnt matter when you eat, but it really helps me get in all my calories and helps me not cave in to "office free food".

Congrats on taking care of yourself and getting focused on your nutrition!
  • samanthamunton
    Options
    Thanks everyone, diary should now be public xx
  • samanthamunton
    Options

Any advice would be fab!

Thankyou xxx

Sorry meant to say 3 meals a day lol!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would add more meats to your diet. There are plenty of higher calorie healthy lean meat options that will add value such as bison, duck, lean steaks, lamb or ground meats under 7% fat. More fish can help too. Adding tuna fish into your diet can help.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam
    It looks to me as though you might be putting your body into starvation mode. The lack of breakfast may be working against you - you need to fire up the metabolism furnace - if you cant stomach solid food, try making a smoothie to drink with some low fat yoghurt and fresh fruit. Your "lots of salad" may be good in the short term, but can you live forever on that sort of strict regime and feel happy?
    I too struggle - as do we all, that's why we're here my friend! You struggle to eat 1200 calories and I struggle to keep under it!
    Perhaps we should share notes!!
    I live in UK - Burton on Trent - where are you from?
    Lal
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you are eating 1200...

I did your TDEE calculations and even at Sedentary your TDEE isn't 1200. Your BMR, if you wanted to know, is 1407.

At Lightly Active and to get to your goal weight of 117, your TDEE is 1826. You'd want to eat at -20% and so I would set your calorie goals around 1450.

To double check the #s - check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would just like to point out there is no metabolic reason to eat breakfast... it doesnt fire up the furnace as your metabolism is always working. The bigger thing is just getting enough calories.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't concentrate on the number or times of meals so much. If you need structure fine, but you will feel full for eating for 20 minutes, so maybe you should break up meals more.

and as Joylia said, eat more. 1200 is for chumps and tiny people if your over 4' you are more than likely going to eat over 1200.

**just looked at your diary. You need to eat more. Maybe switch out some of that juice for a protiene shake. I am just kind of at a loss of how you can possibly eat what your eating and not binge.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    3 days isn't enough to worry about seeing the difference, try a couple of weeks, eat what you are eating and log every little bite and see where it takes you. I don't know your injury but try a little exercise..walking, laying in bed lifting hand weights, anything helps and then readjust as you go..my Aunt has to eat 900 calories to lose weight so everyone is not the same..with my muscle mass I have to eat 1600 or less to lose weight. At 5ft 5in, muscular, and 227 pounds I should be melting away at what I eat but it doesn't happen...also the more you eat the more hungry your body gets..no joke..I started on 1200 and upped it to 1900 calories and I maintained at 1900 for two months and then dropped it down to 1600 and started losing roughly a pound a week.Every body is different. You can do this.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Any advice would be fab!

Thankyou xxx

Start eating breakfast even if it is a glass of milk or pot of yoghurt working up slowly to a smoothie, you can't get all the calories nutrients your body needs for health in two meals. An absolutely massive plate of salad leaves is one serving, so you have to eat a truly ridiculous amount to get much calories/ hit your nine servings a day, have you weighed what you eat? Are you eating all the recommended servings of reduced fat dairy, lean protein, oily fish, other healthy fats and so on? If you refuse to eat breakfast eat five other meals spaced out through the day.
  • samanthamunton
    Options
    Sorry I meant to put 3 meals a day in my initial post!

I am not weighing what I'm eating no, bit trying to eat the 1200
    Cals a day mfp has recommended!

Have been better the last couple of days coming in at about 1200 as it says I should xx