eagle1elitepro Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sangria
    sangria has orange juice,red wine,brandy,triple sec,
    its not low cal... healthy.. nah....
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    um healthy? Don't you mean low calorie??? ; )

Bingo!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    drink half the drink and refill the glass with water? Fake the alcohol consumption
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Shots.

Or Jack and Diet Coke

It's the mixer that kills you.

Vodka only has 64 calories per serving most others are similar.

Mix with something diet if you can't do straight shots.

I have a ridiculously high tolerance for alcohol, which is rather unfortunate if I'm looking to feel effects, even be buzzed I have to drink more than most girls my size so I just stick to alcohol straight up or on the rocks or sometimes mixed with diet coke or tonic water.

Red Wine is actually recommended by doctors so that might qualify as healthy.

Also I'm convinced Whiskey has healing powers but I don't think that would be backed up by medical research, lol
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    sangria
    sangria has orange juice,red wine,brandy,triple sec,
    its not low cal... healthy.. nah....
    it has fruit , therefore "healthier" from the fruit, no alcoholic drink is "healthy", didn't think we were talking about actual calories
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Did someone say alcohol?!

QRyV9.gif

But seriously, OP: In terms of "healthy" alcohol, dry red wines with high tanins (as someone has already said) have a host of health benefits from antioxidants to the flavonoids that help heart, stroke risk, and blood pressure. Men can have 8oz a day and be good to go (and to the person saying "You don't look to be at risk of a heart attack"... what, are we not being preventative here anymore? ;)). In terms of beer, unfiltered craft beers tend to be higher in alcohol and calories, but also have a host of benefits, including fiber, B12, and antioxidants. There's a few studies that have shown craft beers to be pretty good as a recovery drink from workouts, and monks throughout history have subsisted on unfiltered beer with little health detriment during times like Lent... not that I recommend either, necessarily ;)

As for "hard" liquor... well, there you might want to stick with just "low cal" options, or plan ahead and work in a drink or two to fit your calories. Mixers tend to up the calories on cocktails, so if you can work in better options, you might be ahead of the game here.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Kind of an oxymoron. Either don't drink or drink and not worry about it.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I like tanqueray gin with diet tonic water and lots of fresh lime. Its around 80 calories from the research Ive done.

This sounds nice:)
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    See if they serve Miller 64. Of the "light" beers, I have found it to have the most 'bite', and at 64 calories a can, you can have 3 beers (which you can easily nurse out for 4 hours or so) and still be under 200 calories. I'm not saying its healthy, I know better than that. However, I bust my butt every day at work, and its just one of those vices that I don't plan on giving up, its my way of mentally 'chilling out'.

But now, that said, I was a horrible drunk for a few years after my wife died, so dropping down to 2-3 beers a day.....at least for me....has been quite the accomplishment. I think I've found my happy medium for now.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    no carbs in whiskey or bourbon. as far as healthy, 1 dark beer or glass of wine a night
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Lessee... wine... from grapes... beer... from wheat... vodka... wheat... rum... cane... so it's just vegetables, right? :drinker:
  • WelshMaid
    Options
    Lessee... wine... from grapes... beer... from wheat... vodka... wheat... rum... cane... so it's just vegetables, right? :drinker:

and they do say 5 a day is good for you
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking enough to feel anything off of it you're going way over the point where it will matter.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Anything with coke or any kind of soda in it is not healthy. Have you looked at the ingredients in a soda? Mix with sparkling water instead.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking enough to feel anything off of it you're going way over the point where it will matter.

Whaaat? You've never had one beer on an empty stomach?!
  • maluso61
    Options
    One Vodka a day for me. 55 calories and keeps me healthy!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Kind of an oxymoron. Either don't drink or drink and not worry about it.

Totally disagree. Everything in moderation.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any alcoholic drinks that have any nutrients at all, unless maybe there is some fruit juice any it. I guess if it has fruit juice then it's a little healthier.
  • itstimetoeat
    itstimetoeat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually had vodka/soda water/lime drink on Friday. I'd say it is a good choice when going out if you still wanna go out and not do too much damage.

I believe this thread is more of suggestions about what would be the less damaging to dieting or keeping fit. We all know that there is no such thing as a "Healthy" alcoholic drink but for MFP, it's really "What should I drink when I go out to lessen the diet damage?" and to some it may be viewed as "Heatlhy" although we all know there's no such thing.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I actually had vodka/soda water/lime drink on Friday. I'd say it is a good choice when going out if you still wanna go out and not do too much damage.

I believe this thread is more of suggestions about what would be the less damaging to dieting or keeping fit. We all know that there is no such thing as a "Healthy" alcoholic drink but for MFP, it's really "What should I drink when I go out to lessen the diet damage?" and to some it may be viewed as "Heatlhy" although we all know there's no such thing.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant. Not healthy just not as bad for you in terms of calories and sugars etc. I mostly just drink rum and diet coke i seem to enjoy it most hah. Shots of tequila aren't bad either!