Ways to cook rice?

Options
For dinner tonight, I will thinking of something light like a roasted chicken breast, salad and rice - but I dont want plain old rice - I have boil in the bag, but I was wondering what you all have mixed with your rice to make it more flavoursome :) x

Replies

• KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We tend to keep the rice plain and cook chicken in bite-sized pieces in a spicy sauce.
  • Emma_A
    Emma_A Posts: 14
    Options
    We tend to season it (LOTs of pepper and a little salt or none at all would be best) maybe add sweetcorn, chopped mushrooms or peas too.

Sometimes my husband will cook the rice, add peas, seasoning and then some scrambled egg or a little cooked off ham. To make it healthier use just the egg whites depending on how many calories you have left for your meal. We like spicy foods too so there does tend to be the odd chilli flakes in there!
  • NoleenD
    NoleenD Posts: 38
    Options
    I tend to add a vegetable stock cube or stock pot to the rice to give it some flavour.
  • silveradospirit
    Options
    To keep the calories low, I've boiled rice in chicken or beef broth instead of plain water. Adding vegetables to make a stir fry with a little oil works for me as well.
  • richiecanuck
    richiecanuck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    add curry and chilli powder while cooking.
  • Kayleylou89
    Options
    These are all brilliant!
    Thank you :)
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always add a strong tsp of chicken boullion per cup of water. The kids love it that way.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have brown basmati rice which is way more flavoursome than white long grain. Also steam it to hold in the flavour, boil in the bag tastes like water to me I can't stomach it. I use reduced salt bouillon to add extra flavour or sometimes a spice blend. Do you know you can steam your own rice, portion and freeze then microwave with a splash of water? Instant rice but healthy and tasty. Add frozen or fresh finely chopped veggies for texture and colour.

I have a rice cooker but used to use this method. Note that brown needs more water and time than white rice. http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/rice-and-pasta/how-to-cook-perfect-rice.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    $(KGrHqJHJ!wE+TpmwVU-BQZ(VInliQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have boiled it in broth instead of water. Or I will make a gravy/sauce for it. Or put it in a casserole with some creamy soup.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Chop some cilantro and add right before you serve it, squeeze some lime juice on it, and season with salt / pepper.

Add currants / raisins / cranberries and green onion

Cook the rice 1/2 to 3/4 of the way, remove from the pan, put some oil on the bottom of the pan, heat it to high, put the rice back in and let the bottom develop a nice golden crust. Top the pan with it's cover wrapped in a dish towel. When crust has developed, scrape it all out, mix and serve. Ghee works best if you have it.

Serve with an over easy egg on top
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Save the water when you steam or boil veggies, use it to cook your rice. You not only get the flavor, you also get vitamins.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    saute some veggies and throw it in there after the rice is done cooking. celery, onions etc.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to eat rice is to cook it, let it cool, then when I'm ready for dinner I saute some garlic and onion in a little olive oil and toss the rice in and saute it all together for a minute or two to mix the flavors.

Fried rice is also super easy to make when you have leftover cold rice, just cut some veggies up and saute them (I don't even usually use oil, just a nonstick pan and a little soy sauce), then put the rice and a beat up egg in and slowly mix it together so the egg cooks in with the rice.