Well, Hell.

Options
Ok here goes it.

I AM LAZY AND FAT. Hmm, like no one hears ever heard or felt that very thing.

I have been obese now for 18+ years and I want so badly to not be. I have tried restricting calories and did OK on Atkins when I tried it before (although only 1 week) but I find myself so very agitated and giving up on this.

I got fired last month and have really done nothing this past month and with my wedding creeping up I just keep getting down on myself. WTH is it really going to take to get me going? I mean really.

I wake with full intention of working out and on most days I do do something....just not for very long. There lies one issue. I feel that I should be able to work out for 20 minutes a day...not too heavily and restrict calories and POOF...weight gone when I know sure as hell that it won't work that way. I just wish I could flip that damn switch.

I think above and beyond anything else I need a major lesson in portion control.

Vent over for now. Back to feeling blah until the next wind.

Thanks for taking part in my whine fest.

Replies

• plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    lol you should try jillian michaels 30 day shred, the work outs are 20 min. ive noticed a big difference since i started it
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up!!!
    I would recommend portioning out snacks when you buy them into serving sizes..pre-planning meals..etc..can you work out 20 minutes 3 times a day..there are so many options for you if you have the desire, feel free to friend me if u need support :)
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel lately. I have zero motivation and don't understand why the weight isn't dropping off me anymore when I eat cheez its and huge dinners every day.

Something's gotta give!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What we want and what we are ready to accomplish are 2 very different things.

You're young and capable. You can workout 20 minutes a day (probably way more!), but you've got to make the time and get yourself through it. Portion cutting and a little extra movement might help in the beginning, but eventually it'll take more effort especially if you have a slow metabolism, etc. Know that you are worth that effort and you deserve to be happy.

Sorry to hear you're in a funk. Exercising will actually help alleviate some of that stress. Get up and get moving and watch how fast your mood and perspective changes! :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Can you do it for, say, one month? That's what I decided to do when I started. I like to graze all day (like a cow! lol) and I knew for years that I was way underestimating how much I was really eating. So I went in search of a food diary that would be easier than my prior attempts using an excel spreadsheet. I figured I would fail - again - and then I thought, WTH, I can do anything for a month. I'll just try it and if there's no weight lost, I guess I'll just accept being fat. BUT - I lost 9 pounds that first month! And that's where I found my motivation.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    What we want and what we are ready to accomplish are 2 very different things.

You're young and capable. You can workout 20 minutes a day (probably way more!), but you've got to make the time and get yourself through it. Portion cutting and a little extra movement might help in the beginning, but eventually it'll take more effort especially if you have a slow metabolism, etc. Know that you are worth that effort and you deserve to be happy.

Sorry to hear you're in a funk. Exercising will actually help alleviate some of that stress. Get up and get moving and watch how fast your mood and perspective changes! :)

Emphasis on the bolded part.

I hate to exercise and I'm so lazy I don't want to do it. I bought myself a dumbbell a while back and set it next to the couch. I see it when I'm just sitting watch tv so I pick it up and do some simple curls or french presses. That's it. Lately, I've got more into it adding squats and a few other things. I actually enjoy the lifting more then any cardio because I don't feel like I have to leave, go to the gym, drive to the park for a run, or even put on clothes.

Start with something small that you don't even think about. Lift yourself on your tip toes as many times as you can while waiting for something to cook in the microwave. Even if it's not crazy amounts of workout, it'll get your brain to think hey that was easy enough, lets try to do 10 more tomorrow night and hopefully you'll want to eventually see how far you can go.
  • barb_32
    barb_32 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try to find something that you like for exercise, could just be a hobby. I like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, 20min a day and I see results quick. Maybe try the 17 Day Diet, because like you if I don't see results right away I am more likely to think this is for nothing and quit. The 17 day diet is eating clean, and is pretty easy to follow, you will see results and it is healthy. Thats what works for me, but everyone is different. Once you find what works for you it will be easier, some days will still suck but it will be easier.:)
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You have to make yourself a priority in order to succeed. Then and only then you will find the motivation to do this. Good luck to you!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Quit your whining.

One of my favorite, successful, smart friends on here always says that your motivation lies just beyond the 6 minute mark of your workout. So get moving, quit feeling sorry for yourself and go get your motivation.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Remember, this journey is a marathon. It is not a sprint. You didn't become overweight over night, and you will not lose the weight over night. Find a routine that works for you. Don't make your self feel deprived, that only leads to failure. Also, set small goals. Don't shoot for everything at once. If you excercise for 20 minutes a day for 2 or 3 days, then add 5 minutes. Set a goal of drinking more water or eating less processed food. Little things add up quick. You can do this!!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You want it because u typed it. BUT you dont want it bad enough- Kick it in gear and just start, I was the SAME way... just couldnt get started. Well I did- the first 2-3 months was the hardest, forget just the first day!

When you really want it, you'll go after it.
  • alamarana2885
    alamarana2885 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    well of course you feel crappy, you're hardly eating anything!! I know people say that 1200cals a day is ok, but personally I don't think it's a good place to start. Start on the higher side and then work your way down as you loose weight and need to make adjustments anyways.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

read this, it's helped me a lot. I started out about where you are and was an unhappy regular binger because I wasn't eating enough. I switched to about 1700cals a day and I don't feel like crap anymore (I still don't really want to exercise, but that's because I'm lazy). I've also started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (yay for day 2!!). It's 20 minutes a day for 30 days. I don't even do the 30 days in a row, I take a day off every 2-3 days depending on how I feel. Now, if you follow that link I gave you, keep in mind that if you pick something other than sedentary, don't eat your exercise calories back because you're already accounting for them in your calculations. So even though I burn about 300cals doing 30DS, I still only eat 1700cals and feel ok. I do still have one day a week that's a "cheat day" where I eat whatever I want (best thing is that I usually don't feel the need to eat crazy cause I feel so good).

Good luck!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    well of course you feel crappy, you're hardly eating anything!! I know people say that 1200cals a day is ok, but personally I don't think it's a good place to start. Start on the higher side and then work your way down as you loose weight and need to make adjustments anyways.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

read this, it's helped me a lot. I started out about where you are and was an unhappy regular binger because I wasn't eating enough. I switched to about 1700cals a day and I don't feel like crap anymore (I still don't really want to exercise, but that's because I'm lazy). I've also started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (yay for day 2!!). It's 20 minutes a day for 30 days. I don't even do the 30 days in a row, I take a day off every 2-3 days depending on how I feel. Now, if you follow that link I gave you, keep in mind that if you pick something other than sedentary, don't eat your exercise calories back because you're already accounting for them in your calculations. So even though I burn about 300cals doing 30DS, I still only eat 1700cals and feel ok. I do still have one day a week that's a "cheat day" where I eat whatever I want (best thing is that I usually don't feel the need to eat crazy cause I feel so good).

Good luck!

This

You need to fuel the body in order for it to move. Under eating is not how to lose and keep the weight off. Your metabolism has shut down and you need to eat more to get it going.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    We change our behavior when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So, you exercise sometimes. So what. At least you exercised once!
    That's how have to look at things to get myself motivated.

I looked at my calories these past few day, just getting back to MFP After taking a break.
    Day one I went way over my calories.

But I looked at it as "Hey! i put all my food in like I was suppose to. Now tomorrow I won't eat as much."
    So the next day, I still went over, but not as much. So I said it again and added, "And you didn't go over that much!"
    and now, I think I'm back on track.

So just look at what you've completed and do better the next day.
    Make doing better than the day before your short term goal.
  • venturaroo
    venturaroo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recommend Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. 20 minutes and you see the results quickly!!!
  • Gannet72
    Options
    Hey girl, I feel your pain/angst/etc. I am not personally in your boat, but my sister has been obese for as long as I can remember. She had gastric bypass surgery years ago and got really serious about losing the weight after that. However, she didn't keep it up and is now almost back to the weight she was prior to her surgery. Talk about frustrating for her. It's also REALLY frustrating to me though. To see someone you love in so much obvious discomfort -- both physically and emotionally -- and to see them not doing a d*&n thing about it...? I know that she is at risk for so many diseases and an early death if she doesn't do something about it and I really worry about that. I know that she really really very much WANTS to lose the weight again but she just doesn't seem to find the motivation anywhere to do it. I live with her right now temporarily and I have been losing weight since I got here -- I work out like a fiend and eat really well and I thought that would be a motivational factor for her. But so far it has not and it actually makes me angry.

You can't wave a magic wand and have it go away. The older you get, the longer and harder it is going to take for that weight to go away. But you CAN NOT give up. You are about to get married so clearly you are loved. Remember that people LOVE YOU and NEED YOU TO BE HEALTHY. So if you can't do it for yourself? Do it for them.

I hope this helps, dear. I send you positive thoughts. Just stay strong and remind yourself that it WILL take a lot of time to get there but that you will get there. Just TRY.

Peace to you.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I do the 30S maybe 1-2 weekly right now but I'm always moving whether it be cleaning or.what not.
    I do stuff like yoga poses/situps while watching tv daily. I think I need to eat more and get my motabolism going.
    Ill be researching that and portion control this weekend.
  • mnmoon
    mnmoon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I do the 30S maybe 1-2 weekly right now but I'm always moving whether it be cleaning or.what not.
    I do stuff like yoga poses/situps while watching tv daily. I think I need to eat more and get my motabolism going.
    Ill be researching that and portion control this weekend.

The easiest way I have found to control portions is to figure out what I am eating the next day, if possible, go ahead and make it and store it in appropriate sizes. Or, if I am going to cook dinner, I look at what the calorie intake is for the suggested serving and determine if I will have enough will power to follow that serving or if I need to eat something else. I have learned what I cook for my family is usually not what I will eat (they eat alot of pasta, red meat ect). If I am going to eat healthy, I make it tasty by adding low calorie options, like grilled chicken breast with lime juice on top it, bell peppers, smothered in a peice of 45 calorie cheese, brown rice and a serving of salsa. That may not sound good, but once you get your mind set to do this, you will figure out how to eat healthy and make it taste good, and control your portions. Also, try a exercise routine you enjoy..that way it isnt so much work! Not that I am a pro at this or anything, I struggle everyday with making myself get off my butt and do what needs to be done, but I am telling you when you are done, the results feel great! Don't give up!!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I am feeling sad and discouraged right now, too. It helps to know I am not alone. :flowerforyou: