I've hit a plateau... HELP!!

Options
I've hit a plateau and I need help breaking through it. :(

Anyone have any advise?

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    cycle your calories. Eat 25% more one day and 25% less the next, while keeping track of weekly totals
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vanguardfitness. I've also heard that completely changing your diet works too (for instance if you eat the same or similar things everyday, definitely mix it up). Try quick bursts of exercise rather than long cardio for awhile, too. Or you could always cut something from your diet (like sodas, etc) but still keep your calorie intake the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your body probably needs a diet break, especially if you a large caloric deficit. Set your account to maintain for 1-2 weeks. When you come back set it at 1 lb per week. Also, do you exercise?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cycle your calories. Eat 25% more one day and 25% less the next, while keeping track of weekly totals

If calories stay consistent over a week, how will this help?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've hit a plateau and I need help breaking through it. :(

Anyone have any advise?

how long is it since you lost any weight?

in that time have you lost any inches?
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take measurements. Sometimes you'll loose inches but the scale won't move. Up your calories by 100-200, that's what I do and it works for me :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Your body probably needs a diet break, especially if you a large caloric deficit. Set your account to maintain for 1-2 weeks. When you come back set it at 1 lb per week. Also, do you exercise?

This.
  • fumanskew
    Options
    Thank you!! :) never thought about the break!!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Also, remember to move your body in ways it isn't used to. I had one, and broke it by doing lateral exercises.
    It sounds really simple, but it's common for people to do the bike, elliptical, running, lunges, squats and so on for workouts.

lateral moves:
    speed skaters
    side to side jumping
    side lunges, with weight if you can

just a few examples. I'm sure there are more. there's also sports that involve moving laterally, but I'm tired and can't remember them. I think you get the idea though.
  • fumanskew
    Options
    i do exercise and lately i've been doing exercises i'm not used to. this plateau has been going at least a month now.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

If calories stay consistent over a week, how will this help?

some people think it helps. but the evidence seems to be anecdotal.