Still lost on how many calories!

Options
13»

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It says for me to lose 1lbs a week to eat 1270 calories a day.....seems way under my 1501 BMR

But when you exercise, you will eat back your exercise calories and that will bring you up to, and over your BMR.

If you are on a rest day, there's no harm in eating the 1270 calories per day.

If you use MFP the way it was designed it works. Start there. Set your goal to .5 to 1 lb per week. And eat back your exercise calories.

Don't get bogged down with the "don't eat less than your BMR" stuff.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What if you don't exercise?
  • vsecret921
    Options
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 1529.

This is what you would eat to stay the same weight if you were in a coma.

With a light occupational activity level and non active lifestyle, your PAL is 1.4. This gives you a TDEE of 2141.

Eat 2141kcal per day and you will stay the same weight.

Eat 250 or 500 less per day to lose 1/2lb or 1lb per week approximately.

(According to Department of Health Report on Health and Social Subjects 41 Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    What if you don't exercise?
    Then start.
    Exercise is paramount to optimal health.
    It's about setting priorities and making the decision that exercise has enough value to justify in your mind the time it takes to engage. There are no short cuts or easy paths to success, but the path to failure is a cruise to nowhere.
    And many will welcome you aboard their sinking ship with open arms.
    Misery loves company.
    I hope you reconsider and make the time for exercise.
    All Is Possible :flowerforyou:
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Right now I can't. I've had 2 cortisone shots in my knee due to an injury. Otherwise I would be exercising :)
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Right now I just wanna make sure I've got a good understanding of all this information :)
  • Happy2bhere3
    Options
    Question what you are doing a protein shake for breakfast and/or lunch?
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have good success without doing the bmr, tdee thing. I've lost 87 pounds in 16 months and I eat 1250-1400 calories a day. I'm healthy, my fitness level is great, and I got the ok from 3 doctors before I did this. They basically said everyone is different and if what I'm doing is working and I feel good, then go for it.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    You need to NET 1,200 not just eat 1,200. Eat your BMR at least then burn off extra and end with 1,200. See? I think that is how it works.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    So MFP says I Ned to at 1200 then I check mym BMR and it says it's 1501 and my TDEE is 1801. Since I'm not supposed to eat below my BMR should I eat more than 1501 or do what MFP says and eat 1200?

Please help....

5'3
    Female
    You need to figure out your exact tdee not what scoobie says it is..I looked up a website that shows different levels of tdee and what I would have to eat in order to lose 1.5 pounds a week I wished I saved it but it is on the internet..it was 1700 calories and that is if I don't have any problems with my metabolism and exercising 30min to 1 hr a day. This is why I went with Weight Watchers points, this website is to confusing. I gain weight at 2200 and maintain at 1900 I also have a semi low thyroid and it causes a huge drop in what my BMR really is. Now I am eating around 1400 calories and losing weight at 227 pounds at 5ft 5in tall.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice but I think I'm more confused due to all the conflicting information :(
    Welcome to MFP, where differing opinions come to meet
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Is your MFP at 1200 what you need to LOSE weight at the rate you fed into the calculation, and the 1501 for BMR what you need to maintain your current weight?

No that's not correct.

BMR is what your body needs to survive in a coma.

I recommend netting your BMR at least. Since you don't have too much to lose I'd actual say pick a point halfway between your BMR and your TDEE and eat that.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Being honest, when I ate just my BMR, even when I was huge, I didn't lose any weight. At all. I ate a deficit to this and lost a lot. When I got smaller, although still "overweight" I are my BMR (newly calculated with each weightloss of course) and I just maintained and in some time, put on some weight. Having the deficit again I lost weight. Yes, everyone's body is different and sadly that's how mine works.

I, of course, if I have massive exercise days or races (marathons and triathlons) I eat as an athlete for fuel etc but I always have a deficit on other times.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just realized that this thread is old guys. Hopefully she's figured it out by now!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is interested in this - this is some advice that was given to me when I first started almost 2 years ago. I have had good luck with it so I hope it helps someone else...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and maintain 115 pounds by netting1400-1600 a day. My BMR based on being lightly active is 1580, my RMR based on no activity at all is 1300ish.

I won't add to the mess of information already here. Trial and error brought me to my body's happy place, eating a net of 1200 did me no favors, and neither did eating more than I do. Best of luck to you... you're far better off listening to your body than the rest of us.