Picky Eaters....

Options
Hi hi ^_^

I am searching for any tips or advice I can get for people like me who are extremely picky eaters!!!

I didn't get to where I am today by enjoying my fruits & veggies, and super refined junk food is what I grew up on.... Of course I soon learned if I plan on getting to where I wish to be, it's about time I start reading the labels and checking up on nutrition levels....

I've made somewhat decent progress, while I'm far from the point of eating 7 grain sprouted wheat bread, I at least make the effort to switch to whole wheat products when I can, even if it's something as basic as the whole wheat bread, disguised as "White" bread they make for kids that does have a decent amount of fiber in it.... I'm always looking at carbs, protein and fiber, and for the other things that I haven't been able to get due to my extreme disliking of fruits and veggies I've been taking supplements for....

I'm pretty limited on my options though, it's been a bear trying to find low calorie, semi-nutritious foods that I like, and after having the same 10 menu items, for the entire 2 month duration I've been doing this... I really need to somehow expand my horizons...... I've lost a good amount of weight so far, but I can't keep pressing my luck and need to kick things up a notch...

If anyone out there knows where I'm coming from and can share their advice or tips I'm all ears and it would be an immense help!

~~~ Also , in case there are other readers like me who are struggling too, I thought I'd mention a few menu things I have found

~My favorite TV dinners I get lately, are "Blake's Organic" I get them at Whole foods, and most of their dinners are right around the 300 calorie mark! The ingredients are super simple, their "Sheperd's Pie" Is just corn, beef and potatoes, nothing else, and they have a white meat chicken pot pie without the veggies as well....! I've never seen sheperds pie without tomato sauce or pot pies without the peas or carrots, it's like they were totally making their stuff with picky eaters in mind! =x (If you want to save money and sodium levels these menu items can easily be made from home too )

~Uncle Ben's has this whole grain white rice, which has a little more fiber than brown rice because of the chicory root they added, but it looks,tastes and has the texture of regular white rice.

~Whole foods has these baked "Broccoli Bites" (aimed at kids... lol!) But they are basically broccoli mixed with mashed potato... two pieces are about 40 calories! Since I can't enjoy broccoli covered in cheddar cheese anymore, this has been my alternative... (Though I sometimes will add a 40 calorie ultra thin slice of provolone cheese to my broccoli in place of cheddar at times)

~And if you're watching carbs, I know pasta is a top offender, however if you're going to have pasta.... I highly recommend Ronzoni smart taste, they have calcium and fiber added, yet still looks and tastes like white pasta, it's at least a better alternative.

Also, one thing that really helped me, although sometimes it's obvious which food is healthy , and which is not.... when you're a picky eater, the obviously healthy food is the last thing you want to pick... I've been reading those "Eat this not that" books... and it's super helpful if you're picky! It at least points you in the right direction, and tells you what to keep an eye out for, when you are going to eat those junk-food looking items.... I may not like fruit smoothies or a yoplait yogurt, I want cookies and ice cream! I don't want salad, I want a burger! But it helps to have a book say "Okay, if you're *going* to have cookies and ice cream, at least pick *this* option here!" It's still a choco. chip cookie, but it's healthier.... and if one must insist upon junk food like chips or cheeseburgers, again it at least tells you which is a *better* option.... It's only a start mind you, we all can agree junk food is still junk food... but for me personally it helped me learn to make better choices..... and it was the first step to getting to the point where I could actually shop at wholefoods , and stop the hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse healthy with low calorie, would be my first advice. Broccoli with cheese isn't the same thing as cookies or a Micky D's burger. Any natural food regardless of the calories is more nutritious that processed or fast food, generally speaking. Unfortunately picky eating is basically the same as having a poor relationship with food and it's mostly psychological. Spend some time at farmers markets, see where your food is coming from, talk to the people that grow and raise their product and try to begin to understand that food is something to embrace. White rice and regular pasta things you believe are less than healthy are still a good starting point and certainly aren't food to avoid within the context of your situation. Add the veg you do like to these, you must like some, and if you like protein consume more.....Talking to a dietitian or your primary health care provider may be something you could do as well.
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too am a 'picky' eater. Mine is a bit opposite of yours...I don't care for meat for various reasons. I'm almost a vegetarian...sometimes a little fish or chicken breast.

It is difficult for me to find easy, healthy meals that are filling and keep me sustained throughout my daily activities. In my research I came across this website for a 28-Day Challenge. It is a healthy meal planner. You can either use meat or other protein sources for the recipes. I clicked on some of the meals to examine the recipes. With changing out a few of the ingredients that I don't care for (ex. - Almonds instead of Walnuts) these recipes look very do-able. It also offers the nutritional values.

Here is the link - http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/healthy-eating/health-starts-here/28-day-challenge

I hope you find some recipes that work for you. Best wishes on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to be super picky... Hated all veggies other than potatoes and lived mostly off pasta and breads (my faves! lol). I eventually just sucked it up and started trying things I thought I didn't like again. I now don't mind spinach and salads and some other veggies, too. Try putting veggies in smoothies. A cup of spinach in a smoothie is great for you and you can't even taste it! (I promise). Also, cooked veggies taste a lot better than raw ones, lol. Try boiling some frozen mixed veggies and tossing them in a little butter or tomato sauce. Another thing I've discovered and love is zucchini lasagna. There's tons of recipes for it out there and it is pretty good for you. And so yummy! Tomato sauce and a little cheese can make anything taste good, lol. I guess my main advice for you is to TRY things. Even if you think you won't like it. Also, I've learnt to just suck it up --- do I love salads? Not one bit, but I've managed to get to a point with them that i'm not gagging on it and to suck it up and just eat them. Best of luck! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Who the heck puts tomato sauce in Shepard's Pie???:noway:
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately picky eating is basically the same as having a poor relationship with food and it's mostly psychological.

That is not a true statement. I have been a 'picky' eater since infancy. It is impossible for a baby to have psychological issues with food. You either like it or you don't. You either swallow it or spit it out.

I've come a long way since being a 'little bit', but I still gag on certain foods, vegetarian or not.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately picky eating is basically the same as having a poor relationship with food and it's mostly psychological.

That is not a true statement. I have been a 'picky' eater since infancy. It is impossible for a baby to have psychological issues with food. You either like it or you don't. You either swallow it or spit it out.

I've come a long way since being a 'little bit', but I still gag on certain foods, vegetarian or not.
    Your right, I use to spit out food as a baby as well, I've got the pictures to prove it. I also said basically it's a poor relationship with food and generally speaking that's true because lots of people have changed that mindset and eat foods they never though they would again.
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    cook them up diffrent, try different veggies with different spices... try them baked not boiled or steamed for a different variety... if you have not grown up eating these things they are foreign to you so you have to retrain your mind to like them. And like a previous poster said, low cal or low fat or high fibre does not necessarily mean healthy... they can be healthier alternatives but fruits veggies, true whole grains and lean unprocessed meats are always best over pre packaged foods full of msg, sodium and other additives... good luck, you really seem to be trying which is a great start. Don`t give up!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options

more often the parent are picky eaters with monotonous family meals or in other extreme they push the child too much
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally commend you for trying out different foods. It sounds like you are trying to shift your entire diet, almost, in the right direction--and that's HARD, so I first want to congratulate you for being willing to change things up and try new things!

I am not in your situation; I have never really been attracted to your basic "white" and processed foods (well, yes, as a kid I was). So for me, as an adult, my base foods have been pretty un-processed and natural. It's the extras that would kill me--butter on cooked veggies, cheese sauce, etc. Had to make some changes there, for sure.

When I started to lose weight, I listened to this podcast called "Cut the Fat" (it's great, BTW). One episode was on making "lateral shifts." This is the reason I responded to your post. The hosts talked about how difficult it was for people who may be used to certain highly-processed foods. They used Cinnabon rolls as an example. A Cinnabon roll is like 650 calories and full of fat, sugar, salt, etc. It's literally made specifically to trigger those taste bud sensations that make you eventually want more and more of that same taste--highly sweet, creamily fatty.

The hosts go on to say that if someone was used to the level of sweetness of a Cinnabon, it's REALLY HARD (and the likelihood of sticking to a change over the long term) to change, all of a sudden, to say apples or bananas as a snack instead of their morning Cinnabon.

They actually advise to make what's called a "lateral shift." So your tastebuds are used to certain levels of sweetness, saltiness and fat (and that's generally why processed foods are full of). Something less isn't going to cut it for you. So using the Cinnabon example, instead of eating a 650-calorie Cinnabon, move instead to, say, a half-cup of chocolate ice cream for a few weeks. Still not the greatest food for you, but it's about half the calories but still has that sweet, creamy texture that can satiate your taste buds. Get your taste buds used to that. Then move to something less sweet/caloric, like frozen yogurt. Then frozen yogurt with fruit. Then fruit sorbet...then sweet fruit like mango...then mango with apples...then apples....etc etc.

So---I guess in a nutshell, you're doing great, but keep in mind that it's OK to take this slow! You want this to be a life change. If you're changing all your foods to those that don't thrill you especially, you may not make permanent changes--or you may allow yourself the "Cinnabon treat day" or something (a slippery slope), when the point of this whole thing is to figure out a healthy lifestyle that makes YOU happy that you'll be committed to.

I think you're doing great, though--making changes is tough, so give yourself ample room to experiment, try things out that are "lateral shifts" that will help you transition to more unprocessed food, and I think you'll find that the more you gravitate to unprocessed foods, the more your body will respond, your taste buds will learn that good clean food is actually desireable, and will eventually taste better than the processed stuff.

So great job, I think you're on the right track--give yourself the ability to change slowly to make it permanent, and enjoy the ride!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Here's what I like to cook

Fajitas - onions, peppers and chicken
    Tacos - ground turkey breast (can't taste the difference w/ seasoning) salsa lettuce and sour cream
    Baked buffalo wings
    Chili - ground turkey, onions, tomatos, chili seasoning and spicy pepper pods
    Fish - the individual wrapped ones in the freezer section, cook in butter, pepper and lemon juice

All of these are 150-200 calories a serving.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options

more often the parent are picky eaters with monotonous family meals or in other extreme they push the child too much

Totally agree with this. My sister in-law is extremely picky and she almost forces her son to be. If you go to give him something or ask if he wants it. Before he even has a chance to try it she rushes over with a "oh he won't like that" or "he won't eat it" She's always done this. My brother, just makes him eat it. Because he's not going to get any nutrition from hot dogs and mac n cheese and cookies. He makes him eat what is on his plate, which means a bite of this and a bite of that. He can't get up until he's tried it.

And for me, I wasn't a picky eater by any means when I was a kid. I loved to try new things. But there were things I hated. I wouldn't touch mushrooms, I didn't like fish, and I hated jelly and syrup. Now as an adult I can't really think of anything I don't like. I eat mushrooms at least 3-4 times per week. You just have to try, try and try again. You don't have to force it. But you should give all fruits and vegetables a couple of tries and a couple different preparations. There has to be something you will find that you like, possibly love, that was on your picky list.
  • animemoon5
    animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses!!!

In regards to the parents, lol there was a time I was at a babysitters house, who made mac n' cheese with Asparagus, and I remember I loved it... I came home to ask my mother to cook it for me, but she hated asparagus and wouldn't even cook it, the way she went on about how awful it was, o.O; I eventually questioned my own taste buds and haven't had any since... And yes it is true that being "Labeled picky" early on, most attempts made on my part were usually met with "Oh you'd never like that!" and was given something typical and simple instead =x

However one thing that doesn't make sense.... There are foods I used to love, and for no reason at all, just suddenly stopped liking.... Fruit in particular.... I cannot eat *any* fruit whatsoever, not in smoothies or shakes or in juices even! When I was a kid I'd snack on apple slices with cinnamon, I enjoyed bananas etc... but honestly now, it's like my gag reflex is so bad I just can't do it...Cucumbers with salt used to be a favorite of mine, but the last time I had it, instantly gagged and it wouldn't stay down!

@CarlyDogsMom Thanks you sharing this bit of info! It totally makes sense to me! I notice I get this way with salt.... I add * a lot* of salt to my food, so much to the point that if a family member is around they tend to get all bug eyed, nothing ever seems like it is salty enough.... When someone says something has too much salt, I barely taste it, and need to add more....
    My husband on the other hand is this way with sweets, as per your Cinnabon example.... artificial sweeteners will never do, he needs real sugar, and a *lot* of it! Some foods are too rich and sweet for me, that after a couple of bites it's all I can handle, and for him it isn't enough to satisfy...

@Rachel I love using ground turkey instead of ground beef!!!! It really cuts the calories and I've come to prefer it!

True, 500 calories of broccoli and cheese is always going to be better than a slightly lesser amount of cookies.... For me it's been so hard to find the right balance.... I was doing healthy switchouts for awhile, where I wasn't counting calories and only looking at nutritional value the very best I can, but I realized I was struggling with portions, hence the calorie counting... Unfortunately looking at calories so closely has gotten me into the habit of picking some junk food over healthy food.... (i.e. instead of risking only a tiny tsp of peanut butter, which though fattening and high calorie, has a lot of nutritional value, I see something like a 100 calorie pack of cookies, see I get "More" with those and choose them) I was getting my veggies in with broccoli and cheese, it was the one veggie I like, but being only able to eat it with cheese, and seeing those calories.... ~.~; well I soon gave up broccoli and cheese all together...

Is it really so easy to "force" yourself to eat a food you like and re-train your taste buds at this point in time? I thought for awhile I could somehow just make myself enjoy some things, like fruits for example.... but it's totally a gag reflex and no matter how much I force it down, well I can't seem to make my body accept it.....
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have found two things have helped me broaden my diet.

Firstly, try things you have never tried before. I can't stand a lot of the 'standard' veg that most families eat - corn, carrots, lettuce, peas, broccoli, cauliflower - I just can't bring myself to eat them. I decided I owed it to myself to try and like some kind of vegetables. So I made a point of buying veg that I had never tried before (or at least, not that I remember). Things like curly kale, eddoes, samphire, celeriac and so on. I was still a little concerned about trying them (as a picky eater you'll understand that moment of worry as the fork comes towards you) but I found my success rate was higher as I didn't have the same negative memories about them. I resolved to try one new thing a week, and prepare it three different ways, at least one being fairly plain to see what the vegetable itself tastes like.

Secondly is texture. Try things crunchy, mushy, mashed, lightly cooked, fried, crispy... you might find something you dislike normally is not so bad cooked differently. When all else fails, blended into a soup, curry, or cheese sauce helps.
  • animemoon5
    animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you Athena!!! I really am going to need to try this and it makes total sense... I already know what veggies I *don't* like due to my hating them for years now since I was young.... but yes there are other things out there that might surprise me...

I have to share one thing.... Not so long ago I was doing some gardening, and I don't know what it is, but when it's something you've grown yourself, you take a bit of pride in it and want to try it.... It's no longer some "Yucky veggie from the market" It's something fresh and edible you grew yourself! There were a few items that I never had before, and while it's true I didn't like them, I was at least willing to try them...

As I start planning for spring, I'm thinking of trying to do some simple gardening again, maybe I can try to grow new types of foods, and encourage myself to taste them, that pride and sense of accomplishment will really help with that, and might leave me with a more open mind...
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    OP, it's great to hear that you're growing some of your own food! You're right; it does taste better when you've nurtured it yourself. For me, the same is true of things I cook - I've heard some people say that the meal someone else cooks for them tastes the best, but I disagree. I cook food that I like because I know I'll eat it! I started learning to cook because I like trying new things, and after a while I'd exhausted my options at local restaurants. Eating out is a less exciting prospect when you've tried everything on the menu.

That said, I'd like to suggest different preparations, which it sounds like you've considered. Do you like to cook? Experiment in the kitchen? Do you know someone who does? Maybe you have a friend or relative who likes to cook and would be willing to prepare you different types of dishes. For example, I really enjoy creamy vegetable soups, and they're simple to prepare - start with some oil, add some onions, then garlic and other seasonings, then toss in some cut-up vegetables. After they've all softened a bit, add some homemade stock, and finish it off with something creamy. Heavy cream is good, as is yogurt, milk, coconut milk, or cream cheese. Nearly every veggie makes a tasty soup when cooked like this, and in some cases you can make a soup for pennies. When I cook broccoli, I save the stems in a bag in my freezer until I have enough to make this soup. If you use something from your garden, again, you'll save a lot of money while trying something new.

One more note on preparation: people do things with vegetables you've probably never even thought possible, and it's wonderful! Look at some vegetarian or vegan recipe blogs; they're often very creative and include a wide variety of plant foods.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Also, one thing that really helped me, although sometimes it's obvious which food is healthy , and which is not.... when you're a picky eater, the obviously healthy food is the last thing you want to pick...

i dont think this is necessarily true.

i'm a picky eater and have always been (i agree with the person who said it's mostly psychological) i've also always loved vegetable especially spinach, kale, asparagus, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, cabbage, beets and turnips. same with fruit. in fact as a kid i was so picky that i would very often only meals consisting of plates of cooked spinach and tomatoes

being picky means that particular details of certain foods will put you off eating them . for instance i dont like eating brown stuff which means i usually dont give stuff with a gravy or a brown sauce. i also dont like eating stuff that's solid on the outside and squishy on the inside. i also have issues with texture, so something like oatmeal creeps me out because it reminds me of something else i dont find appetizing. i dont like liquidy food in general (like soup) so when i make my own i make it extra chunky or if i buy it canned i have to drain it.

anyway, since i am a picky eater, what i've done is to just expand on the stuff i like. some other things (like oatmeal) i pretty much just close my eyes and think of england when i eat it :laugh: or mask the texture with a lot of fresh fruit
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I AM THE PICKY EATER! I SWEAR.
    & FOR MY SANITY I USE IIFYM! (if it fits's your macro's)

meaning, if you have enough micronutrients that you can eat whatever you want!