Protein Shakes

Options
I want to start doing the protein shake thing because I get so hungry after I exercise.

Firstly, do the people who drink them use protein powder?

Secondly, does any one know a good recipe or a cite to find one. I want some natural and easy to make.

Replies

• BreakingFree27
    BreakingFree27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Search this site
    http://www.health.com/health/
    and also
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ .. ****very good site for researched nutrition

\
  • steffo365
    steffo365 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey there MrsMojo!

I recently started drinking protein shakes and I use a chocolate Whey protein powder from the OptimumNutrition brand named "extreme milk chocolate". It is absolutely delicious, i recommend it! It has been advised to me, to drink it before or after the workout. If you are doing an intense workout, I'd probably wait until right after to drink it.

I get some of my recipes here: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html
  • ratts82
    ratts82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi - I buy ready to drink Maxi Muscle Maxi Milk. It comes in 3 different flavours (banana, chocolate and strawberry). I use them after a good intense workout - they are best drunk within 20 minutes of completing your workout I think, but I also use them as meal replacement as I get very hungry. I have used the powdered versions and the taste (in my opinion) is not as great as RTD versions and they can taste very gloopy. You can order Maxi milk through Dolphin Fitness and they usually have pretty good deals. Hope this helps!
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I like the extreme milk chocolate alraedy mentioned too, however if you buy that one plus their banana cream and mix about 1/3rd choc to 2/3 banana you will get a GODLY shake.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey, I'm a cheap-*kitten* so I stay away from the thicker flavors like Extreme Milk Chocolate (although it's extremely good, I feel like I'm cheating by getting my protein from it) and stick with flavors like Chocolate Mint which contain more servings per pound.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lo5bmcuXYe1qkevgv.jpg
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    unflavoured 'only whey'
    whizz with
    - water and frozen fruit
    - peanut butter and banana and water
    - coffee and ice
    - sachet of 'hot' chocolate low cal and cold water for after workout (when doesn't matter if it tastes great or not)
    - watercress, spinach & frozen strawberries

i just experiment
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes I use protein powder, ready made protein shakes are so much more expensive!

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. Nice (even with just water), mixes really well, tons of great flavours, great serving of protein (24g per scoop, 110-130cals) and not a bad price (not the cheapest, but so worth the money and not the most expensive either)

My favourite flavours are chocolate mint and double rich chocolate. The strawberry one's quite nice too. If you want to make a recipe from it, I love adding milk when I need the extra calories/protein. You can also add PB, cocoa powder, fruit, whatever you fancy really. I once had 1 scoop double chocolate, with water, strawberries and grapes. That was delicious!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am starving after my workouts, I thought this would be the best way to go.
  • KellyLin62
    Options
    Beach Body makes Shakeology!!! Amazing! Healthy! Filling!