Meals for the "not dieting" family

Options
I am looking for good things I can make that are everyday foods. I literally am the only one in my family that needs to lose weight, but I don't want to have to cook 2 separate meals..any suggestions?

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Do what I did with my partner before he got into fitness. Cook your healthy meal. Don't call it "healthy" in front of him. $20 says he doesn't know the difference
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Also in the interest of actually bring helpful try skinnytaste.com
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    ^^ Exactly what she said.

Plus, just because they don't need to lose weight doesn't mean they shouldn't be eating healthy.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've found that alot of crock pot type meals work for me. Taco soup, venison with stewed tomatoes & mushrooms, roasts with veggies, chicken & noodles....just a few suggestions.

Added bonus - you don't have to cook after work; it's already done!
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Cook something healthy and tasty, keep an eye on your portion size, and let the family eat however much they need to.

(I realize I am fortunate enough to have a partner who is continuously enthusiastic about whatever I make!)
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. My husband does not eat ANY fruit or vegetables and isn't a fan of whole grain anything. I will make steamed veggies and salads and such for myself and then eat smaller portions of the other foods I cook for the rest of the family. I am certainly not a weight loss super star, but cooking and eating this way has been a lifestyle change i have been able to maintain pretty easily.
  • nikihin
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I have 3 young kids (6,4,and 1) and its hard to really match what everyone is looking for. My kids are great with fruits and vegetables but its still a struggle to put together and entire meal that everyone enjoys. I have been trying to go with crockpot meals and steamed vegetables but any "family friendly" recipes would be appreciated!
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For my family of three, I try NOT to cook separate meals -- because really my kids need to eat the same healthy foods that I am eating. I have one picky eater, so foods that are mixed together like casseroles and crock pot meals, don't always work so well. What does work well for us is a meal where each item is cooked separately --meat cooked separately (chicken breast, pork chop, chicken on bone, sometimes beef/steak -- grilled or roasted). Sides -- always a fruit (sliced apple, oranges, berries), always a vegetable (steamed, raw, or roasted). A side that's more of a high carb (which I eat sparingly (potatoes, rice, a boxed rice or potato or dressing). And sometimes a side salad.

Mexican food works well for us as well. Kids will eat tacos and I can make a big taco salad with just a few chips on top.

If I am making a soup that my picky eater won't eat, I will usually try to have a warm bread that he can eat with butter (I like it when my growing kids (especially my picky eater) gets healthy fats in his diet. I just have to try and not eat the yummy bread--which is sometimes a problem.

That's what I do for my family! Works for us.