C25K

Options
Is it ok to do the couch to 5K program on a treadmill? It seems a little easier on the knees and I was just wondering what others think?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I would think that would be fine. I have heard that the treadmill has more shock absorbancy so is easier on the knees. Also, trail-running is similar if you want to get outside but salvage your knees -- just be careful for uneven paths and loose rocks!!

My husband has bad knees and started out on the treadmill -- he just ran his first 5K this past weekend. He is now running outside and prefers it, but the treadmill was a good way to get him started.

Good luck! The running community is such a supportive one!
  • gemmaturvey
    gemmaturvey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think i depends on your goals. Do you want to just be able to run it side or would you like to do some races?
    Running on a treadmill is a lot better on your joints. Also its easier to keep track of distance, time and calories.
    How ever i have recently started running out side as iam doing a 5 mile race soon, and its a whole new game. you use different muscles. I ran shorter distances than i was doing on a treadmil but found my legs hurt. I soon got used to it and now do both.
    You have to try harder outside, as you have to motivate your self to keep up a pace rather than have a tradmill set it for you.
    Personally i prefer outside. Although i go at 6am when no one is around to see me run : )
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is fine. I prefer it to jogging on the road, it seems to have more bounce and feels better on my knees. I would just do what feels best for you. I want to do a 5k this summer so hopefully I can transfer what I do on the treadmill to the road! Good luck to you! I see you started it today!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can use a treadmill to start; and you can stick with using solely the treadmill if you want. However if you have any plans to race you're going to want to transition to running outside after awhile.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As the previous MFP'ers mentioned the treadmill is certainly much easier on the joints and a great way to get started. I always believe in starting where you are..and if right now you need the treadmill for additional cushioning for your knees...DO IT! This journey is going to be different for everyone, and it is about doing what works best for you and your body! Perhaps, when you get comfortable enough on the treadmill, you will break up your runs and go outdoors once a week or something, but like they said it also depends on your goal. If you are planning to do any races you will eventually need to be doing most of your training outdoors on different terrain!

GOOD LUCK.. I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS!!:flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 6 of C25K and all I have ever done was on a treadmill. I know at some point I need to get outside since I'm planning on running a 5K in the summer. The treadmill is so much more convenient.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm in week five of the 5K101 (pretty much same thing as the C25K) and I've been running on an indoor track. I'm in my forties and I'm obsese so my poor ol' knees are taking a beating. I will be running a 5K this summer so I wanted to get used to running "live" but I also wanted to take care of my knees. My compromise is good running shoes (about $140 for mine) and I'm training on an indoor track that is padded (rubber floor). It's not as nice on my joints as a treadmill but it's a good compromise for me!

One down side is that I have no idea how fast I'm going. Right now I'm just desperately trying to keep ahead of the walkers :laugh: I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure none of them are gaining on me :embarassed:

I've started packing a lunch sized cooler with two reusable ice bags in them. After I shower and change I anchor the ice bags on my knees with a little re-usable tape and enjoy my high protein smoothie for 20 minutes. Even if I think I feel fine, this has really helped my knees feel better over all, and really helps the next time I run. My doctor recommended it before I even started. She assumed my knees would cause me pain and didn't want me to think that was a good reason to quit :wink: She also recommended taking an ibuprofen or two after I've cooled down. Basically she feels the potential for weight loss from running out weighs (pun intended) any damage to my body from the actual running. Her clear message - ICE them BEFORE you NEED to.

Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is definitely a way to start. I also have bad knees. When I was working up distance it was critical for me to cycling as well. It is a great way to work on the muscles around the knees to make them stronger and easier to run.

Happy Running! :happy: